Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lindsey
Curious February 2024 Lincolnshire

When To Do Bridesmaid Proposals

Lindsey, 22 of March of 2022 at 14:06 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5

Hi fellow future weds!

Just a quick question... My fiancé and I will be getting married in February 2024, and by that time we will have had a 3 and a half year long engagement.

I have it planned to ask my bridesmaids to be a part of our special day this August (a year and a half in advance). I've read that this is too early and that 8-12 months is appropriate. That being said, most of my bridesmaids will be coming from the US, so I'll be sending Save The Dates out 12 months prior to the wedding (as if for a destination wedding).

Is a year and a half appropriate for the situation, or do I run any major risks doing it that early?

Thanks all!

5 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 22 of March of 2022 at 19:59
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

It really is up to you, there is no right or wrong, and based on your circumstances i think it is right to ask them well in advance and before you send save the dates to ensure they have plenty of time to save up. One thing I would say is to be sure of your friendship and you wont change your mind. One of my BM's I would honestly not have now as she met a guy and moved away and I barely hear from her, is always me messaging her and whilst we are still friends and it isnt awkward we are not as close as we were so if i were deciding now I wouldnt have asked, but hey anyones circumstances can change so I guess you just have to go with it and see what happens.

• Lindsey
    Lindsey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Charlotte!

Thanks for your answer! That's great to hear that that timeframe seems reasonable. Everywhere says to ask bridesmaids about a year out, and I just kept thinking that's when I'm sending Save The Dates! Surly they need to know before that! haha

I think I'll stick with this August as only one BM is a new-ish friend (and her partner is a groomsman). The others are either family or we've been friends for many many years, so I think the risk would be minimal.

Thank you!!! (And congrats on your wedding next month)!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I think this time is fine totally agree with Charlotte xx💗
  • Lindsey
    Lindsey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wonderful! Thanks Michelle Smiley laugh

• Michelle