Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

VikingPrincess
Beginner December 2011

Where / How did you meet your other half - sister thread to MrsT2b's "How old are you...."

VikingPrincess, 6 June, 2010 at 20:07 Posted on Planning 0 27

As the title says - would be nice to read other people's stories... How / where did you meet your other half?

Here's our story, as quoted on our Wedding Website:

"Diana and David nearly missed out on meeting each other by a week. Both were tired and fed up with the bad luck they had had on AOL Dating and they had cancelled their membership at the same time, without having ever encountered each other's profiles. However, during the last week during which the site allows you to be live before switching off your profile, in one last search Diana came across David's picture and was hooked: she said his eyes seemed so sad yet beautiful, he seemed in need of a hug...and she 'winked' at him. David replied letting her know his profile was also to be switched off and gave her his MSN ID in case she fancied talking. Diana did. The very same night. They arranged a date for lunchtime at Tiger Tiger in Leeds, on 6th November. That was 2007. The rest, as they say... is history!"

Yes, we met online. Both of us worked too much to even meet anyone apart from people from work and had been let down too many times. We don't really drink (me for health reasons, him because he says he "doesn't like himself when he drinks") so going out to bars and stuff didn't come naturally... But we are here to show everyone who told us internet couples don't last that they were wrong!

27 replies

Latest activity by alexxinness, 7 June, 2010 at 16:30
  • mrsjbw2b
    Beginner August 2010
    mrsjbw2b ·
    • Hide content

Face book, he sent me a message at 2.03am, i replied , we stayed up all night talking, we met 2 weeks later , he moved in 2 months later and 2 years later we r getting married

• H
    Beginner December 2010
    Han85 ·
    • Hide content

We met on holiday of all places. I thought i would get back to the UK and never hear from him again. But i was wrong and boy was i happy!! 2 months later we went on holiday together and 2 months after that we bought a house together. We lived on opposite sides of the M25 and the travel to and from was crippling us. Now just over 2 years later we are getting married and i can't wait!! x

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Hi a similar thread was done last week

https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/t/170738.aspx

I met my OH online too. Mysinglefriend.com dating site. moved in together after 6months and get married 2years and 3months after we first met.

• watsonnicole1
    Beginner October 2010
    watsonnicole1 ·
    • Hide content

Aaaaw sweet. Our's is kind of boring now!

Myself and DF met back in 2005 in the most unusal place, and totally by chance at ... Work! ?

At the time I had had a accident and broke my arm and could not drive so was transferred to another branch within the company that was within reach by public transport. My first day I had to introduce myself to the rest of the management team and whilst in the middle of doing so the 'boss' walked in! Almost immediately we had what felt like a connection and the saying "you had me at Hello' was most certainly true for me. He however protests that we had met before at a work party and I didn't pay him the blind bit of notice even though we were introduced, I maintain that I was in a relationship and I'm a one man woman. lol

Anyway, So whilst on holiday in Greece in 2008 he proposed over a romantic meal.. & as they say, We are now making our own history. ?

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content

Awwww Minicooper that sounds LOVELY! I am a manager too in a financial institution and i laughed when i read your comment about relationships at work being frowned upon and confusing accounts and challenging customers! LOL... We haven't been apart either apart from 2 weeks when i went to visit my mum and dad in Romania in 2008 and he couldn't get holidays...

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

We met at work, OH was joining my team and he'd been away for the weekend to Butlins. Anyway, he got really drunk at Butlins and decided that he was going to show the boys how to do the splits properly. Only he didnt end up pulling it off and ended up down at A&E all night.

So the first time we met, was when he hobbled into the office on his first day on crutches and I had to show him around the office. I ended up giving him a lift home and it went from there

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah sorry Vickstix, I haven't seen that one...☹️

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

Other people are replying to this one. So nice to read how everybody got together. I love all these stories x

• D
    Beginner
    darkivy ·
    • Hide content

Lovely stories!

My H2B played guitar in a band with my Dad! I first met him about 5 years ago through that band, but I knew he was going through a separation from his ex-wife at the time, so we just chatted as friends. One thing eventually led to another when they had actually separated, and one night he offered me a lift home from a gig, and we haven't been apart since! He moved in a few months later and we get married in October.

• agentblackcat
    Beginner July 2011
    agentblackcat ·
    • Hide content

Hey there

I met my otherhalf at work, we had just recently broken up with previous partners and he kept chatting to me. He asked me out and I said yes - but did not realise at the time he was asking me out on a date. He took me out and then called the next morning asking me to spend the day with him. After that we were joint at the hip and bought out house 4 months later lol. Got engaged 11 months later and have now been together for 2 years in OctoberSmiley smile

• queencrunchy
    queencrunchy ·
    • Hide content

Online. All my friends were trying it, so thought I'd give it a go after a spell of singledom after a spate of silly boys! Had a few not so good dates with others on the site, logged on after a depressing day at work, he messaged and asked for a drink. He lived quite near, thought he wasn't quite my typre but what the hell. And oh my God, almost love at first sight. I think by date 3 I knew I didn't want to let him go. Almost 18 months later and here we are!

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

SNAP! We decided to stop calling them "dates" after date 3 and also I was after a spate of silly boys! LOL

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

H2B and I were set up by a friend! I was training to be a physiotherapist and he had hurt his knee - she set us up as she thought I could fix him lol

• VikingPrincess
    Beginner December 2011
    VikingPrincess ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well Jackie, you obviously did! ?

• J
    Beginner September 2010
    JackieS ·
    • Hide content

Nah - he had to have an operation lol! And anyway, he never listens to my physio advice - typical man Smiley winking

• K
    Beginner April 2011
    katmoore ·
    • Hide content

Arr some lovely stories!Heres mine......

I met h2b on our paper rounds(we worked for same shop),i used to wolf whistle at him when he cycled past me! ? He thought i was just winding him up until i asked him out!Childhood sweethearts!Were so lucky to have found eachother so early in our lives! ? xx
  • debmci
    debmci ·
    • Hide content

We were introduced my mutual friends. And hit it off straight away!! He told me after that he had seen comments I had posted on these mutual friends bebo pages, was intrigued and then asked them to introduce us!! Its all ment to be though, cos we then worked our grannies, when they were alive, were good friends!

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Well...I can never understand how we didn't meet sooner.

I was invited to a friends leaving do at a nightclub, I didn't particuly want to go but she dragged me along. A friend of ours called me whilst in the club saying he was coming along with a friend. When they arrived it turned out to be my future H2B unbeknown to me.

We got chatting, had a little dance, and finished the night with a smooch.

I decided to text his mate the next day, with the number he rang me on. I told his mate how fit he was, and wondered if he'd go on a date with me. Turns out it wasn't my mates phone I was texting it was H2b's!!!

We went on our first date to cinema to see Bruce Almighty nearly 7 years ago!!!

We did have a rough patch quite early on... OH had already been married and had two children, he decided we should split up cause he knew he never wanted to get married or have children. We spent a hellish month a part...I did manage to loose over a stone in weight from not eatting! Thankfully he decided he was being a mupet, and wanted to get back together.

We never spoke about marriage or children again, and on xmas day 2009 he popped the question in front of all my family....that was one hell of a suprise!!!

• julia (modernphotographic)
    Beginner July 2010
    julia (modernphotographic) ·
    • Hide content

I met Ian at a mutual friends party.

A friend of mine, a few months before, had told me she had worked with this guy and she reckoned we were perfect for each other, but hes a bit older than you. I tended to date men my age or younger so I said no thanks, without ever meeting him.

Anyway eventually she took me along to this party and the guy in question was sat at the table. But we had got there late and unbeknown to us he had to go. He chatted to me briefly and left, but as soon as he got outside he text a friend and said he had to get my number. He said it was love at first sight (awww)

I am naturally cautious so when he asked me out I suggested we all go out as a group as I didnt know him. So we did eventually and got on like a house on fire.... then on the monday he sent flowers and asked if i would go out on a date with him now!

About 4 months later I moved in with him, and a year after meeting me the first time he proposed. Whirlwind but great. Both of us have been married before and both had long relationships and were normally really cautious... but i guess when you know you know.

Hes my best friend and makes me happier than anything

So it turns out my friend Lia was right

• G
    Beginner
    ghdfans2010 ·
    • Hide content

I'm interested in what you post!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Erm... My OH and I met at school. I was in sixth form, he'd just started as a trainee teacher. I went home later that day and told my mum I'd met the man I was going to marry!

A couple of weeks later, my friend had her theory test and I had no credit to text her with so he said I could use his phone. The message I sent her was 'good luck today. Oh, and this is P's phone, keep the number!' Anyway, then he left the school as teaching wasn't for him and he used to text me when he was drunk that he liked me but we were both in other relationships at different times etc and it never seemed to work out that we were both single at the same time. We stayed good friends though and used to go out drinking together. I still lived at home and we used to share a bed (at my mum's insistence as 'she couldn't be bothered to get the spare bed ready!' And still nothing happened between us!)

3 years after we first met, he eventually sat me down and told me how much he liked me but I was seeing someone else at the time so we just continued to see each other as friends until I decided that he wasn't going to hang around forever and broke it off with the other guy. That was nearly 6 years ago now, nearly 9 years since I first met hima s a 16 year old school girl!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I met my OH through my ex! We had said that we would get a flat together while he was at uni and I wanted to move out of my gran's and get a place of my own. We used to stay up all night and watch dvd's and one morning he told me that I looked like an angel when I was sleeping (I'm not very good at staying awake during dvd's!!) I knew then that he was the one I wanted to spend the rest of my life with but I couldn't tell him in case he didn't feel the same and things got awkward. I managed to pluck up the courage a week later when we went out for drinks and he got chatting to an old girlfriend of his, this made me really jealous and so i sent a text (chicken I know!) telling him how I felt and now 8 years later we are still together and loving every minute of it! I can't wait to become Mrs Sneddon!!

• Josiep00
    Beginner December 2010
    Josiep00 ·
    • Hide content

Ooooo - I love romantic stories like these ladies. It warms my heart ? just shows how lucky we all are!

I meant my fella when I was 17 at a local gig where bands were playing. My friends knew him from a previous party and he ended up buying us girls a round. It was only when he left at the end of the night I found out he had actually been playing in the gig!

3 days later I saw him at a New Years Eve party. We spent ages talking about lots of little things. I gave him a sneaky kiss on the cheek a couple of times, then he got the hint to make his move for a smooch.

We were due to go to Uni in a few months, all our friends were ending their relationships saying it was the sensible thing to do as long distance relationships don't work. We decided we liked eachother far too much to just give up without trying. It was totally worth it! My uni experience was definately different to all my single chums and tough at times, but I wouldn't change it at all ?

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE these stories! I am another onliner! When we met it seemed almost shocking to some but it's nice to see how common it's become! We met on dating direct which I went on as a bit of a confidence boost more than anything cos all I was meeting in the outside world were to*sers and was feeling a bit rubbish about myself! I wanted a boyfriend but never thought I'd meet my one…Thought that would have to happen somewhere really romantic like a beach in Mexico, lol!

• alexxinness
    Beginner September 2008
    alexxinness ·
    • Hide content

Well i also met my hubby on line on amazing what u can find on google lol

We had both had really bad previous relationships his x had killed herself and well i spent 5 yrs being abused by an idiot

so we both knew when we finally met up after months of talking that this was it

Moved in after 4 weeks we got married on our 11 month aniversary had our first daughter in the april and had our 2 lil princess is november 09 it was our second anniversary in jan this yr

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics