Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner April 2007

Where to live in Leeds?

londonbride, 30 of May of 2008 at 20:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 25

Evening All!

I hope someone can help.

My H and I are thinking about a big move from London to Leeds next year.

I have spent time in Leeds but I have no clue where is good/nice/safe to live.

We would be renting to begin with. Our baby will be about 9 months (ish) if we move next April.

H would be working in the city centre.

So what areas are good for a young family? Also we dont drive so good transport into town is essential.

Thanks if you can help

?

25 replies

Latest activity by lizziemh, 2 of June of 2008 at 10:10
  • Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

I have a friend who lives in Morley and she seems happy there.The house prices aren't as high as in the city centre, although if you're selling in London that may not be an issue.

• L
    Beginner April 2007
    londonbride ·
    • Hide content

Not on the property ladder so will be renting at first.

Ill have a wee look into Morley.

Thanks

• Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

Durr.I did read you were renting but it didn't register?

• pink munky
    Beginner December 2006
    pink munky ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We live in Morley as well, has good transport links into the city, our daughter is 9 months now and there are plenty of baby activites in the area. We rented initially as well and liked the area so bought here nearly 3 years ago. The other deciding factor for us was the good links onto the motorways from this side of Leeds. If you would like any other info drop me a PM, there are some areas of south Leeds I would def stay away from.

• L
    Beginner April 2007
    londonbride ·
    • Hide content

Great thanks.

Had a look on find a property im amazed at what we can get.

We currently rent a 1 bed flat for £775, we are spoiled for choice in Leeds.

• glider12000
    Beginner July 2014
    glider12000 ·
    • Hide content

I lived in Leeds when I studied there. Headingley and Hyde Park are the more student areas so best to stay around Morley as previously advised. Further to the north is Adel, which is nice too, although you have to travel through Headingley to get to the city centre which can be busy but there are frequent bus services to Adel.

• Sparkling
    Beginner October 2009
    Sparkling ·
    • Hide content

Don't is my advice. I work there but wouldn't live there!

I live out to the east on the train lines it's a 25 minute commute and so much nicer than living in leeds.

There's also some good mum and baby groups out here and our address is North Yorkshire!

• Saphira
    Beginner August 2006
    Saphira ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

wss

I live just outside York

30 mins commute on the train, trains every 15 mins and much nicer.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

how feckin' roooood. there is absolutely nothing wrong with leeds. there are loads of lovely areas!

anywhere north leeds and you're going to be fine. west leeds is mainly good. east/south you need to pick your areas carefully.

london lady (sorry new hitched can't see your name!) i know leeds really well having lived here all my life, sold sub prime credit loans and working for the police. i can tell you all the dodgy bits, but out of tact would prefer to do it off board

whats your budget? do you want a house or flat? and what agents are you looking at, at the moment?

• KJX
    Beginner August 2005
    KJX ·
    • Hide content

I like Leeds (am a Yorkshire lass in exile on the south coast), was quite keen on Chapel Allerton, but it is a bit close to some of the less nice areas.

If you are thinking of spreading your net a little further, Halifax is lovely, and a pretty easy commute to Leeds, as is Hebden Bridge (the hippy capital of the multiverse!)

• F
    Beginner July 2006
    Fionka261 ·
    • Hide content

We live in Otley which is out past Adel towards Harrogate... it is a lovely small town with a great market. There are lots of lovely smallish towns out this way like Yeadon, Horsforth, Guisley etc.

If you want any information feel free to pm me.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I lived in Leeds about 16 years ago, I lived in Headingley for a while which was quite bedsit land. I also lived in Adel but that was very suburban and I don't know how easy it is to rent. Horsforth was nice too and Otley.Unless things have changed radically avoid Harehills, chapeltown side of leeds. Maybe draw a line through leeds centre and keep to the Headingley, Kirkstall Morley side.

I live in Huddersfield now and I agree that there are some nice places in Halifax. However like anywhere Leeds, Halifax, Huddersfield and all the surrounding towns have nice areas and not so nice areas

• L
    Beginner April 2007
    londonbride ·
    • Hide content

Keiren I have sent you a PM.

Thanks

Thanks all. Ill get reasearching

• L
    Beginner April 2007
    londonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Part of the reason to move is to avoid the commute we have here.

I live in London at the mo and dont think I could handle not living in a city. If that makes sense.

I really like Leeds?

• Voldemort
    Voldemort ·
    • Hide content

I live in Morley too and it's great. It's an up and coming area for sure.

I've lived in Leeds for 25 of my 28 years so know it pretty well. North Leeds is generally fab and has increased house prices/ rents to match.

Headingley/Hyde Park, Burley/ Kirkstall are the traditional student areas although parts of these are gorgeous.

West Leeds eg Pudsey/Horsforth/Farsley/Rodley are generally great places to live and all have great bus links. The areas nearer to the centre tend (as in most large cities) to be less salubrious although there are some diamonds in the rough too.

South Leeds has some lovely areas as well as some of the most horrific, like Keef PM me for discreet details ?

East Leeds I know less about but it has great links to the M1/A1 and has some very nice family oriented areas such as Cross Gates along with some not so nice areas.

I think that living too far out of Leeds may be a problem if you don't have transport as some of the outlying villages, while lovely places, are a bit remote and their public transport links are less than perfect.

HTH

PS How rooode Sparkling! ?

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Horsforth, Bramhope and Cookridge are all lovely, as is Adel.

Headingley, Burley Park and Kirkstall have some lovely property but very student-y

Rodley and Rawdon also have some lovely parts

• GemBear
    Beginner
    GemBear ·
    • Hide content

I can only really echo what others have said, North Leeds generally is really lovely (Bramhope or Adel would be my area of choice if money was no object!)

The majority of West Leeds is nice too. I live in Farsley which is lovely, a nice little high street, pubs etc and only a 25-30 minute commute into the city centre.

Need to be a bit careful with South Leeds as others have said but as long as you pick the brains of some of us locals you'll be fine!

Good choice by the way, Leeds is a generally fab place to live (biased -moi?!)

Hope that helps.

Gem

x

• Vindaloo
    Beginner May 2006
    Vindaloo ·
    • Hide content

I live in Leeds. I'm in Meanwood, which as an area is very mixed - some lovely bits, some with a less lovely reputation. Having said that, I'm in one of the non-so reputable bits (it was the only house we could afford) and I love it. There is lots of regeneration going on in the area, lots of fabulous free baby and toddler groups, excellent transport links into the city and Chapel Allerton is in walking distance (lots of nice eating/drinking places and lovely shops).

I grew up in Alwoodley, which is a lovely area but can be expensive - have also lived (rented) in Shadwell for a few months, again a really lovely quiet area but expensive to live in.

• *pebbles*
    Beginner January 2009
    *pebbles* ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Morley.

I lived there for the first 18 yrs of my life and my parnets and brother are still there.

• pink munky
    Beginner December 2006
    pink munky ·
    • Hide content

Blimey Morley seems to be full of Hitchers?

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I grew up in east Leeds (Garforth) which is v family oriented with good schools, and has great links to the city with two train stations and tons of buses. There are some lovely places out that way.

I actually moved back to Leeds three weeks ago and we're renting city centre now -there are some lovely big flats around town if that appeals? I don't know how viable that is with a baby but we were really pleasantly surprised by some we saw.

Do PM me if I can help with anything to the east, as Keef and Voldie have got north and south sewn up!

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

I grew up in Hunslet, Leeds, but moved to Selby in North Yorkshire some 22 years ago. Like most hitchers have said there are good and bad areas in Leeds. Morley is good, as is Adel, Alwoodley, Oakwood, Moortown, Bramley, Crossgates, Garforth, Rothwell, Oulton, Roundhay. Some areas of Hunslet, Belle Isle and Middleton are good, but there are also bad areas around there. Areas to avoid would be Gipton, Halton Moor, Seacroft.

Mickelfied, South Milford and Sherburn in Elmet are just outside of Leeds and are about a 25 min journey into Leeds. Although Sherburn in Elmet and Micklefield have more regular trains than South Milford.

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I agree with Lynne on all those areas. South Milford is a really lovely village, I lived there for a while. It's only 25 mins on the train to Leeds but it is quite isolated from any large towns.

• M
    Beginner January 2007
    mrslf ·
    • Hide content

Hello Sunshine - South Milford is a lovely village, I have relatives that live in South Milford. I agree with you though, that is is quite isolated from big towns, but your not that far from the A64 and not that far from driving into Leeds.

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

How about the knaresborough & harrogate area? my h's mum & grandparents live in knaresborough and it's lovely. It's always really easy for us to get there as it's just off the A1 and h used to get the train to work in leeds daily and it only takes about 1/2 an hour.

• lizziemh
    lizziemh ·
    • Hide content

I studied in Leeds and now live here - I think it is a wonderful place. I live in a little village called Barwick in Elmet which north east of Leeds. North Leeds is quite expensive but mostly lovely as is Wetherby/ Collingham or south of Harrogate. If you need any advice pm me and I'll happily help

L x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics