Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2005

Where/who can I donate a trumpet to?

SAM83, 18 of June of 2009 at 08:36 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

We have an old vincent bach trumpet which my husband hasnt used for years and due to moving house we want to donate it somewhere.

We tried 3 local charity shops who wouldnt take it nor would 2 local bands (we thought it might be good for someone new to learning the trumpet who cant afford a new one etc) but they said no. Any suggestions?

Its in good working order just needs a clean.

Thanks Sam

13 replies

Latest activity by SAM83, 19 of June of 2009 at 09:52
  • WifeyLind
    Beginner April 2006
    WifeyLind ·
    • Hide content

Could there be any music shops in your area that you could perhaps ask if they'd be willing to sell it on your behalf for a commission.

• Knownowt
    Knownowt ·
    • Hide content

Local school? Freecycle?

A secondhand trumpet is worth quite a lot, I think.

• essexmum
    Beginner August 2009
    essexmum ·
    • Hide content

Have you got a local music centre? My son learns the cornet through ours (Maestros Music, Berkshire) and as they lend out musical instruments I'm certain they'd be pleased to be sent a donation. You could have a look in you Yellow Pages or council website to see if something like this exists in your area.

• elliejay
    Beginner September 2015
    elliejay ·
    • Hide content

A girl in work is looking to buy one for her son, who is just starting to learn. If you have a price in mind I could pass it on, along with your details?

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

We dont want anything for it, I just dont want it to go to waste really.

Will have a look for local music schools and go from there.

I am a bit reluctant to put it on freecyle tbh as I dont want to give it to someone only for them to make a mint selling it, I want it to go to good use if you get me.

• Consuela Banana Hammock
    Consuela Banana Hammock ·
    • Hide content

Also check out local youth music groups such as windbands, orchestras or jazz bands. Often there are kids wanting to join but don't have an instrument. Exeter Children's Orchestra is an example - they have a recorder section for the younger kids and a pool of "lent" instruments that the kids can borrow until they can afford to buy their own - or to try out on to see if they will stick with it before their parents invest.

I'm going to be giving away my flute soon - I've promised it to the daughter of my best school friend - giving it to her feels like keeping it in the family - but otherwise I would have given it to ECO. The thought of selling it makes me shudder. Musical instruments can become like an extra limb!

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

I'm surprised that the music groups you've offered it too aren't interested. My brother plays in a brass band and they are always dying for instruments to lend out to youngsters who don't have their own.

I'm wondering if it's in poor condition and therefore would cost more to repair than makes economic sense for a small group or charity.

I would also ask around friends and family as to whether there is a youngster that you know who would be keen to take it up.

I googled 'donate instrument' and got these

http://www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid=19437

http://www.recycling.co.uk/musical-instruments

http://www.munstertrust.org.uk/donation.htm (these people gave my H a scholarship through music college)

The Oxfam and Sue Ryder websites say they welcome musical instruments at certain shops.

• QueenBee
    Beginner November 2008
    QueenBee ·
    • Hide content

I would buy it off you. I was a trumpet player and since i moved to edinburgh, havent yet had the chance to join a new band.

If you cant give it to a charity etc, email me and i'll buy it.

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content

Thats for extra replies. I have got in touch with 2 local schools and are waiting to hear back.

I would need it to be in Swansea/Carms really otherwise I wont be able to get it there.

Queen Bee - will come back to you if I have no luck. Only want postage for it as all it needs is a bit of tlc and a good home!

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

I would suggest a local school as well, or a local school music service.

Shame it's not a tuba as I could do with one of those ?

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content

Another idea would be a local scout or guide group - they often have a brass section for when they go on parades, concerts etc.

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I'd put it on Freecycle and wait for the sob stories to pour in ? Then I'd choose someone and give it to them.

Or car boot it.

• spot
    Dedicated September 2007
    spot ·
    • Hide content

Is there a local marching band or similar near you? They are quite often registered charities so might really value a donation of an instrument?

• S
    Beginner October 2005
    SAM83 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have put a load on there already yesterday and this morning woke up to 42 emails and some of them were so cheeky!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics