Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

lovelygirl
Beginner August 2011

Which is more important to you - Honeymoon or House

lovelygirl, 2 May, 2011 at 20:12 Posted on Planning 0 28

We have a minimoon planned at the family caravan, but we had originally planned to have a honeymoon in a few month after the wedding, but now thinking that a house is more important to us than a 2 week holiday... that money could make a big difference in the house we could afford to buy.

What about you?

28 replies

Latest activity by Lillibet, 3 May, 2011 at 10:10
  • O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

It depends what you need for the house if it is something fundemental then definately house. But if it is the difference between you redecorating the bedroom or not this year then I would say honeymoon. Memories last a lifetime and if you are planning a family how many more holidays alone will you have ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We are seriously a bit mad because our honeymoon is way more important to us.

We are very much a "live for the now" type of couple, so have blown half our house deposit on our honeymoon. I think if OH hadn't been going away straight after the wedding, we may not have, but as he will work away for 6 months, we'll easily recoup the savings in that time!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

If you mean buying a house, then house, definitely.

Buying a house is about making a home together as a married couple. However, you can go on holiday anytime (which essentially is all a honeymoon is). It's a no brainer for me.

We weren't going to have a honeymoon for a long time but we had some spare cash so have decided to have one and just not redecorate our new home for a while!!

• Strippy2011
    Beginner June 2011
    Strippy2011 ·
    • Hide content

Honey moon becuase we already have our house - but if we had neither house would come first Smiley smile x

• JezVonSavage
    Beginner September 2012
    JezVonSavage ·
    • Hide content

I too am a bit mental- definately a honeymoon. We bought a house last November and I'm sick of it already, i'm just not a settling type. When we rented, I moved every year!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Gemma Lousie - that is a good point, about building a home together and I think that is really important, but do you really think you have to buy a house to do that? We are renting, but it will be very much our place.

I see it that a honeymoon is something you can never go back for, you only do it once, wheras we can re-save for our place time and time again.

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

Head would say house (and also not to spend anywhere near as much on a wedding for one day only!) but heart says honeymoon - and for us heart always win, we're definitely a 'live in the moment' couple, probably too much so. We're spending way more than we should on our honeymoon - but I've never looked back and regretted spending money on a big purchase and know I'd regret not doing the honeymoon we're having.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

We aren't "living together" like many couples do before getting married, so for us it's definitely somewhere we can call "home" - not just a house.

Our honeymoon is a fortnight in a cottage in Wales through work, costing us £50.

We could save up and spend a few thousand on an extravagant honeymoon somewhere... but it's just not something that we really want. Building a home, then making a family to fill it, are definitely more important to us than an overpriced holiday.

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

At the end of the day I don't want to tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money - as that's a pet hate of mine. I gave my opinion, which for me it's a no brainer and I would pick a house over a honeymoon.

When we were little neither of us had holidays for various reasons. We haven't had a foreign holiday together, ever, as we've been saving up for a wedding and house deposit for the past 4 years. There seems to be a feeling now in the media that it's a God given right to have a holiday every year, it's not, it's a luxury. One that our families couldn't afford when we were little and we don't feel deprived. Yes, we can afford a few foreign holidays a year now if we wanted to but for us it's not what we choose to spend our money on.

Yes I do believe you can make a home from a rented house - we did that for 2 years. However, it was never ours so I never really made my stamp on it. Whereas we now own a home and ok we have a mortgage but I feel like it's mine. Assuming we can keep paying the mortgage no-one is going to sell it from under us, we have stability. Also, I can make my stamp on it and spend money on it knowing it's our home.

I like to spend money on things I can see, cars, houses, jewellery, for me I don't get the same thrill out of spending 10k on a holiday as I would on doing something in the home, or putting it towards a new car.

As I say, everyone spends their money on what they want, no-one should be judged for that.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

House for us... But on the other hand we are very happy with our honeymoon choice, we are going to Brighton because we went on a weekend break there the year before last and we both fell in love with the place and are very excited about honeymooning there. If that hadn't happened, and we therefore didn't have a place in the UK which we felt so happy about going to, we may very well have been tempted to take some money out of the flat deposit fund and blow it on a "better" (i.e. abroad) honeymoon. I think I also probably would have budgeted a LOT better because our wedding has turned out to be £5k over budget and that £5k is being paid for by us, so if I'd budgeted better then we could easily have had an extra £3k in the flat deposit fund and £2k to blow on a honeymoon!

I am rambling, and I think my answer is that I don't know?! I mean, it appears like my answer is "house", but perhaps that is just circumstantial and if we didn't have a relatively cheap place to honeymoon in then my answer may well have turned out to be "honeymoon"!

• B
    Beginner
    Baroness ·
    • Hide content

House. Definitely. I want a honeymoon but I also want the money to add (or start) our house deposit fund. I also want a nice honeymoon but am prepared to sacrifice it.

• Peaseblossom
    Beginner March 2013
    Peaseblossom ·
    • Hide content

I would say house, but we already bought our flat just before Christmas. Sadly after paying for the wedding I doubt we will have money for a honeymoon, I would love to go on a proper holiday with my fiance but it will have to wait. ☹️

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Gemma Louise, I wasn't judging you or saying you were wrong to say that, I said we were mad to be putting the honeymoon as the sensible me says to put the money into property - that said, i've done the numbers and renting works out cheaper for us than buying as our rent is less than what our mortgage interest (Not capital replayments, interest) would be, so saving up a bigger deposit over a longer period while we rent saves us money (very odd I know!). I was just trying to understand as your opinion is very different to our own.

I find it interesting you would say that it's not our place if it's rented as it is all we will ever have as my OH is in the army, if we do buy a house, we won't be able to live in it anyway. Can I ask what you have done to your own house that you couldn't do to a rented house? I am assuming you mean carpets? Decorating? Gardening?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

If I didn't already have a house I definately would put it before a honeymoon.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

We put the house before the wedding - we finished all the DIY a couple of months ago. (I say DIY - gutting and rebuild is more accurate!) Then the wedding is our next priority and then the honeymoon. We hope to have a small one this summer and save for a bigger one next summer, but if I am honest I am hoping children will be on the agenda then.

It's interesting how proirities change. when my friend got married five years ago (before I met OH) I remember commenting that the honeymoon is where I would spend all my money - on a year long honeymoon, travelling the world and just have a tiny wedding! how things have changed! But I already had a house at that point too so a house is definately my priority.

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No I know, was just clarifying as I didn't want anyone thinking I was judging them!

We bought our first home together in October last year. My advice would be to save up as much as you can right now and (if possible) get at least a 15/20% deposit then as a first time buyer you're laughing. You get the best mortgage deals and you get the sellers biting your hand off. We literally just saved and saved for 4 years (albeit paying for a wedding too!) and I'm so glad we did as we have a lovely 4 bed house for only £100 more a month than the 2 bedroom house we rented and it's much much nicer.

My Dad always told me to put money in to property. Yes it can go up and down but at the end of the day you always need somewhere to live so even if you never sell it you might need it one day to live in. My family are farmers so my brother lives in a rented farmhouse but he also has a mortgage on a little house he rents out as a nest egg. Plus if you get a good enough deal, your rent can usually cover your mortgage payments - or near enough.

I knew it would never be our house forever so other than doing a little bit of decorating I had no incentive to do anything. However, I couldn't do things like new kitchen, bathroom, carpets, I hated things like the fireplace, windows but obviously had to live with all those things! Whereas in this house there is so much I want to do and will do as it is ours.

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    MrsDWT ·
    • Hide content

We rent, have no plans to buy for the next few years so honeymoon for me, cannot wait!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

To be honest I wud still want both - but instead of the 2 wks in Mexico were havin we would say have a week in Spain, just to get away, just the 2 of us, after the hustle & bustle. We bought our house 2 years ago this month so that we wouldn't be doin a wedding & decoratin a house (we bought a new build) at the same time. Its still been hard payin the mortgage & saving for the weddin but its wonderful to be settled in our own home. So if I had say 3 grand i'd put 2K to house & 1K to honeymoon. X

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Gemma Louise - That makes sense, but doesn't worry me as we are likely to move so often I won't get used to the "crap bits" for too long before there are new ones! ?.

I would agree, with house buying, it's all about timing. We've spent a fair bit on our honeymoon, and TBH it makes very minimal difference to what we would repay in terms of our mortgage if we took one now.

I am a major major geek / tight ass and so I've worked out how much mortgage interest we'd pay in first year and overall of owning a house at a 10%, 20% 30% etc deposit and, as I inferred above, because we can get way cheap rent with OH being in the army, it works out we'll save about £50k in mortgage interest less incremental rent expenses by waiting and saving. I am a geek aren't I?! Of course that's all blown of the water when house prices rise again, as the increase in value we'd miss out on would outweigh any saving... OK, I am rambling and showing off my geeky side too much now...

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

We already have our own house, however we would love to move to a nicer area and somewhere with off-street parking or even have enough spare money each month to do some improvements to our current house but unfortunately that just isn't going to happen. We can't afford either a new house or a honeymoon untill wayyyyyyyyyyy after the wedding when all the bills are paid!

So to answer the question- I'd settle for either to be honest! Think we need to win the lottery- lol!

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

House!

But we are fourtunate enough to have a large beautiful house. Therefore, we are lucky we can afford a big honeymoon. If i wasnt in this position i would definatly be putting the money into my house/deposit ect instead!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for replying, we are hoping to buy with about 25% mortgage and it has taken a long time to save, and i think we would buy sooner buy a few months buy not going on honeymoon. I am sure if we want to have a holiday abroad in the future we will save for it like everything else. I am still not 100% sure what we will do.... but atleast i will be surprised if we can rather rathe being disappointed that we can't.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

If we didn't own property already, we wouldn't be getting married yet. For us, it was important to do things in a way that we considered to be proper for us, and part of that was ensuring we would have enough dosh to let us go away for a few days after our wedding day.

You have to do what's right for you though. I'm sure you'll make the right choice for you both.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

CB no panic - no money has been removed from the house deposit fund to pay for the wedding... We are of the other train of thought, get married, buy a house then a cat, then kids in that order.

We are getting a week away straight afterwards, in the uk, just no major super exotic holiday for us unfortunately, but does mean we can go house hunting sooner Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

Without a doubt - House.

It all depends on your personal circumstances though. We are back with our parents to save for a house at the moment, and have absolutely no intention of still being there when we are married. So if we have to miss out on a honeymoon then so be it and we'll just have one the year after or something. But if we were saving for a house while renting somewhere, then a honeymoon might be more of a priority. Also we don't have plans to immediately start a family once we're married, which again would change the priorities. I totally understand wanting to get a big amazing holiday in before babies are on the scene!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics