Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner June 2023 Essex

Which surname?? Please advise x

Nikki, 17 of June of 2022 at 21:23 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 6
Hi
My fiancé has been a widower since 2013. We met in 2018.
The problem I have is which surnane to use once we are married. I got divorced in 2016 and since I kept using the title Mrs along with my ex husband's suname as it's the same as my 2 children.
My Fiancés late wife and I share the same first name and (unbelievably) also our middle names!
I would love to take my Fiancés surname but I dont want my name to be a constant reminder to him, like when post arrives etc. I would also feel like I'm taking someone elses name which will never be mine. I also believe it's a bit disrepectful to his children.
Friends have suggested I go back to my maiden name but that would mean changing it by deed pole and I haven't used that name for over half my life so it doesn't feel like who I am anymore. I totally understand my Fiancé not wanting me to keep my ex's name when I'm married to him but I don't know what my other optiond are. I want to share a surname with him as I want the world to know he's my husband. His family are very proud of their family name so it wouldn't be an option for him to change toioWhat do I do??

6 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 18 of June of 2022 at 22:10
  • C
    Curious October 2023 Bristol
    Clare ·
    • Hide content
    I think best thing to do is have a conversation with your partner and talk it through.
  • L
    Dedicated April 2023 Kent
    Ladybird1088 ·
    • Hide content

Could you double barrel so you still have the same surname as your children, but also share a surname with your fiance

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think this is a great suggestion, since your name would be like your OHs but not exactly the same as his former wife. Alternatively, changing back to your maiden name by deed poll isn't that complex.

• L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content
    Can you use your decree absolute to change back to your maiden name? I am fairly sure I read something about that online...
    I would definitely agree that this is something you should discuss with your fiancé though. He is best placed to tell you how he feels about it all.
  • D
    Savvy January 2023 Lancashire
    Daniella ·
    • Hide content
    Absolutely best to speak to your fiancé about it but I will say in regards to the whole name reminding him thing- your first name alone will have already done that surely. I’m guessing that using and hearing your (and hers) first name will have reminded him of his late wife and he clearly made it through that / it didn’t effect him and your relationship so I think you’ll be okay on that one in the long run but of course, only he can actually tell you that for definite. ❤️ I hope you come to a solution that makes you both happy and comfortable x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Definately speak to fiance and see what he would want you to do it hasnt bothered him that you have first name the same hope you come to a decision that works for you both x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics