Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K

Your favourite bean/pulses/grains recipes?

KJB, 24 of August of 2009 at 12:33 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 7

Hi all

I'm trying to eat more beans/pulses/grains, cos they're good for you. I've also started sprouting things (deliberately, rather than things just growing roots etc cos they've been in the cupboard for too long!) - chickpeas and mung beans so far - but I'm just bunging them in salads or putting them in soups - I'm sure there must be more that I can do with them.

I've done a nice warm bean salad, but other than that I'm after any recipes that you have which are successful. (I've already got the hitched chickpea and chorizo stew already which is lovely)

Thanks

KJB

7 replies

Latest activity by Lumpy Golightly, 24 of August of 2009 at 14:01
  • P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Harira is a fantastic, hearty Moroccan stew. chock full of pulses and ideal for autumn . . .

/food/recipes/harira_85458

I tend to make it with lamb, and leave out the beans, rice and vermicelli, although if it then needs bulking out I stick a couple of spoons of cous cous on the top to soak up all the gravy.

Another winter favourite is sausage casserole with haricot beans - can also be made with cubed pork.

As for grains, bulghur wheat is a great substitute for cous cous, with a firmer texture and nutty flavour - it's also widely used in eastern European cooking maybe with some mushrooms or pancetta stirred through. I always serve it with my paprika chicken (another hairy biker recipe)

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Not that you asked for it, but it's lovely . . .

/food/recipes/chickenpaprikawithle_80341

• SophieM
    SophieM ·
    • Hide content

I've just been reading the Pioneer Woman blog* and came across this

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/beans_and_cornb/

* ETA health warning - her recipes are lardy to the max, AND she washes chicken.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and there's Turkish lentil soup . . .

https://www.almostturkishrecipes.com/2006/10/red-lentil-soup-krmz-mercimek-orbas.html

Works best with a squeeze of lemon juice and a massive slug of chilli sauce.

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

Had quite a pulse-y weekend. We ate:

Sat lunch: spicy veg & bean soup (kidney beans)

Sat dinner: corn on cob with new potatoes and side of chickpeas in spicy tomato sauce.

Sun lunch: Saturday's soup with the spicy chickpea leftovers added in

Sun dinner: veggie shepherd's pie made with Quorn mince and the cumulative leftovers of the rest of the weekend. Was surprisingly lush!

We also make lots of curries with added beans or chickpeas, a favourite is spinach and chickpea.

And H loves aubergine & chickpea stew with couscous. Lentils: well obviously dhal, also lentil & tomato soup.

Sure I'll think of loads more. We eat some kind of pulse most days (being herbivores).

• Zebra
    Beginner
    Zebra ·
    • Hide content

I make a really nice butter bean curry - you use sesame seeds (ground or whole) and tinned tomato, with squirt of tomato puree and butter beans and onion and garlic. And cumin, coriander, turmeric, IIRC.

Very tasty with naan bread to mop it up.

We also quite often have a fast meal of wholemeal pasta, pesto, with butter or borlotti beans. I like chopped tomtato in with it too.

• K
    KJB ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all. Some of those look/sounds delicious. I'll have a proper look later on and start planning some cooking.

• Lumpy Golightly
    Expert February 2003
    Lumpy Golightly ·
    • Hide content

I LOVE this recipe; it's gorgeous served with naan or rice, but I've been known to eat it on its own because it's really filling.

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Lentil Dal (Vegan)

Ingredients

225g/8oz Dried Red Split Lentils.
    1 Onion, chopped.
    1 Garlic clove, crushed.
    1 Litre/ 1 3/4 pints Water.
    Small piece fresh ginger root, grated.
    1 teasp Tumeric.
    1 teasp Cumin Seeds.
    1 teasp Coriander Seeds.
    1/2 teasp Chilli Powder.
    Freshly Ground Black Pepper.
    Fresh Coriander, chopped, optional.

Instructions

1)Wash & drain the lentils. Place in a saucepan with the chopped onion, garlic and water.
    2)Bring to the boil, then remove the froth that forms using a metal spoon.
    3)Add the ginger and turmeric to the lentils and simmer gently for 30 - 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are soft.
    4)Dry roast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in a small saucepan for a few seconds until they release their aroma, but careful not to burn them. Add to the lentil mix.
    5)Add the chilli powder and season to taste with black pepper.
    6)Serve sprinkled with chopped fresh coriander.

Special Notes

This is especially good if made in advance and then re-heated.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics