Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Gbutterfly
Beginner July 2012

Advice needed - do I take wedding dress home or leave it at the shop?

Gbutterfly, 5 May, 2011 at 09:44 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi gals! Some advice needed, my dress arrives in July, wedding is next July. It's been ordered to the size I was in December but am and will be losing weight so alterations will be needed.

Do I take the wedding dress home when it arrives and is paid for in July or leave it at the shop?

13 replies

Latest activity by Vanilla Pod, 5 May, 2011 at 18:02
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

This is entirely based on my experience but take it home then if anything happens to the shop you have your dress! My shop went bust before my dress ws delivered but after it was paid for and I hve heard of shops going under and people not being able to get their dresses which have been there, this is extreme and I have probably only heard of so many stories about this as i was actively seeking them out to try and resolve my own issue. but based on that if it was me i would rather have it in my posession

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My experience is that your shop will insist you take the dress home.

My shop certainly will when my dress arrives 2 months before the wedding, as they simply don't have the storage space and would rather I take responsibility incase anything happens to it.

If they don't insist, as Naboo said, i'd still take it anyway.

• freb2reh
    Beginner July 2011
    freb2reh ·
    • Hide content

My dress is due sometime this month hopefully. Originally I would have been leaving at the shop, however we have recently had to postpone our wedding until don't know when! For this reason I will be collecting it when it arrives with a view to taking it in for alterations nearer the time. As Naboo said, at least you then know it is safe and sound should anything happen in the meantime with the shop. I have also read stories of some brides dresses being offered out as samples! I am sorry, but that is my dress, which I have paid good money for, and not for any Tom Dick or Harry to try on.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

Mine will arrive around Dec 11 and wedding in May 12. I will be leaving it at the shop because I cannot possibly hide it from OH for 5 months, and family all smoke so can't leave it at anyone else's house.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I will be taking mine home, mainly as the shop has a rule of you have to collect it within four weeks of it being delivered.

I am not getting married until July next year and they had deferred delivery so that it would be closer to the time. Unfortunately my dresss has since been discontinued and I was told I would get it in August. Cue me phoning the shop on Tuesday to pay my last installment only to be told that it is in the actual shop NOW!!!

I have no idea where I am going to store it for so long ?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

When I worked in a shop (not bridal) but when a customer had paid for something we could no longer keep it for them, as it was their property and no longer ours so raised issues over insurance. May be different ofcourse for bridal shops..

I'd too collect it as others said. A bridal shop went bust where I lived, and there were riots outside with brides trying to get their dresses. Then there were police guarding the shop as during the night someone did a smash and grab, then distributed dresses to the brides!

Don't want you to resort to those tactics!

• SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

My dress is due to arrive at the beginning of September for my wedding at the end of October. The shop said they will store the dress until the day before for meso they can steam it ready for me to take home & hang up over night. Am reconsidering getting them to do this now though having read the above posts!

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Well now this worries me.

My dress is in the shop. My fittings are in August / September - wedding 1st October.

theyre storing it for me.

does this mean if my dress goes missing etc its not their responisbility cos ive paid for it? Would it be wiser to have it at home / mums house then take it back for the fittings and then they keep it to steam etc?

Im worried.

• F
    Beginner October 2011
    fatbride ·
    • Hide content

October 11, i am also getting Married on the 1st October and the shop i have bought and paid my dress from in March had to find the modesty panel and have it dry cleaned as it was a sale dress, and they said i could leave it there untill the wedding but once i got home i read on the recipt that once paid for the shop could not be responsible for the dress if it was left (even though they encouraged me to leave it!) So i have just chased them up to see if the dress has been cleaned and im waiting on a phone call so i can go and collect it. I will take it back for a final fitting incase i need it taken in as im losing weight at the mo.

In my opinion i would take it home.

• Gbutterfly
    Beginner July 2012
    Gbutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone for the advice!!!! Mucho appreciated!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

It might be worth checking your small print of the shop. My shop says that you shouldn't take the dress away unless you are 100% happy with it, as there's no comeback once it leaves the shop. I don't know if this applies to alterations too, whether I'd still be able to take it back for alterations there or whether it means that the dress should only be taken away once all alterations are done.

I'm going to make the most of the free storage they provide for as long as they'll let me! At least its their responsibility then if something happens to it and not mine ?

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married 1st October but we are going away at the end of August when my dress was due to come in so I have asked that it be delivered end of July. That way I can attempt to become svelt get pinned up for alterations in July , come back beginning of September and Starve myself to get back in it after the holiday !!!!!!! It isn't much of a plan but all I have ! When it is altered and ready I will collect it. I can see the pros and cons of both to be honest.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Sorry meant to mention wedding insurance !

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Mine wasn't due in till late June but I got "the call" on Thursday. I still want to lose a bit more weight and I am not happy with my shoes so I dont actually want to try it on and have it altered for length yet. I have made appointment for 22nd July for first fitting, my wedding is Sept 4th and they will keep it for me till the day before and steam it etc. My sister got her dress from there in 1993, and business is still booming so I am pretty confident it wont shut down in the next 4 months. (please god!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics