Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Church Wedding vs Civil Ceremony

14 of May of 2013 at 22:11

Posted on Planning 77

Just wondering what everyone has gone for!! For me I have never once been religious, in fact I'm an atheist. My fiancé wanted a traditional church wedding but I felt it would be really disrespectful to get married in a House of God if neither of us really believe he exists! Shame, though. There are...

Just wondering what everyone has gone for!! For me I have never once been religious, in fact I'm an atheist. My fiancé wanted a traditional church wedding but I felt it would be really disrespectful to get married in a House of God if neither of us really believe he exists! Shame, though. There are some really beautiful churches about Smiley smile

So instead we have gone for a civil ceremony in a modern converted stables/barn, which I fell in love with the moment we set foot in there. Ceremony and reception in the same venue.

So, what have you chosen and why?

P.S. I don't want to start a war or anything. Please keep things pleasant, ladies Smiley smile

77 replies

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Civil ceremony.

My OH has only been to church once (to go to a friend's wedding... and it was greek orthodox which we aren't).

I used to go to church as a child in the brownies and was baptised when I was about 14 as my mum thought I'd go to hell if I was't baptised (I went salong with it for her sake). Since then I haven't attended church other than the wedding mentioned above.

For me, getting married 'in the eyes of God' when I don't actually believe in God doesn't make sense.

My wedding will be about getting friends and family together to declare that I love my OH more than anything and that we've chosen to spend the rest of our lives together in front of the people who matter to me.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hahahaha.

• EmmaM88
    Beginner July 2014
    EmmaM88 ·
    • Hide content

Civil- OH does not believe at all whereas I am more agnostic but I would find it completely contradictory doing it in a church

I can see why people do but it's not for me

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Civil ceremony for us. We aren't atheists but aren't church goers either and it would feel hypocritical to marry in a church for us.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Errm yes, you can. I did. Full C of E service, just in sunny climes on the beach. No drama.

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Church for us. I was bought up with church, sunday school, rainbows through to guides. All the family for christingle and Christmas and easter. My parents and grandparents married there and we have alot of family buddies there. OH isn't from a religious family and he doesnt really have any opinion on it other than when comparing a civil and a church wedding he'd attended he said the church seemed for about the commitment and the civil more paperwork. As for people getting married in church for the pics if we could have had the ceremony at our reception venue and the pics would have been nicer as it has amazing views compared to our village church but then it wouldn't have meant as much I think.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics