Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sophie
Savvy November 2023 Derbyshire

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread

Sophie, 7 of April of 2022 at 14:26 Posted on Planning 2 50

Hello!

I've decided to start a planning thread, even if they aren't really the done thing anymore, because I think it will be fun to write about my planning process as it goes along. So, here it goes!

The Beginning:

T and I have been together for 7 years this coming June and have been seriously talking about getting married for at least 4 years. But in typical T fashion he has to do things in his own time and his own way and he kept me waiting! I met T online back in 2015 and after a year together I adopted a kitten (she plays a huge part in our lives) and the following year we moved in together. We've since moved house a couple of times and in 2019 we bought our own home out in the High Peak countryside. Since then I won't lie, I've been fairly actively googling wedding things and I even set up some private Pintrest boards to keep all of my ideas together. All the while T was saying it wasn't happening any time soon and to focus on other things that we had going on.

The Engagement:

Fast forward to Christmas Day 2021. Picture the scene: just the two of us and the cat in the living room, wrapping paper chaos everywhere and the cat having a fabulous time making paper forts. T announces that he's left my stocking upstairs and will be back in just a moment but can I please close my eyes. I'm there on the sofa talking to the cat saying how T had better be bringing down a framed photo of her or a box of chocolates (literally clueless as to what was going on) when he announced I could open my eyes. In front of me he was down on one knee, surrounded by wrapping paper, and he said "well I guess I'm asking you to marry me". I should add in here that neither of us are romantic in the slightest, I would have been weirded out if he'd said much more than this. He was holding out the most perfect ring I could imagine and I immediately said yes! We quickly facetimed our parents to announce the good news and I was immediately banned from doing any wedding planning until at least Boxing Day. I cheated slightly by ordering a few gifts for bridesmaid boxes but that doesn't count, or so I said. On Boxing Day we text everyone else and made it official by announcing it on Facebook and the wedding planning began! I'll get into the planning in the next post but for now here is a photo of my lovely engagement ring. It is a yellow gold band with a white gold setting, small round diamonds on the sides and a princess cut diamond in the middle.

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 1

50 replies

Latest activity by Vicky, 26 of October of 2022 at 02:11
  • T
    Rockstar May 2022 Oxfordshire
    Tamsin ·
    • Hide content
    I’ve never heard of these threads but they seem fun. I’m only 7 weeks out from my wedding so probably a bit late to start one now, haha. Gorgeous ring btw!
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I love this we need more of these xx the ring is lovely x💗
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

What a beautiful ring - your boy did good! And such a lovely proposal - simple but so meaningful, and when you are making such a major commitment to each other, you don't really need a big dramatic gesture or an exotic location to make it meaningful, because it's hugely meaningful wherever and however it happens. Congratulations, and looking forward to hearing more of your wedding plans.

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! You could always do like a round up post going through what you planned and then how your day went after you're married Smiley smile

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! My friend had one years ago but no one seems to do them anymore. I think we should bring the trend back!

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much! I'm a Christmas obsessive so him proposing on Christmas Day really was perfect for us.

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content

I am really encouraged by your comments so far so here's some more about how our planning has been going so far.

Despite wedding planning being banned I sneakily managed to order a few gifts for my bridesmaids to go in their proposal boxes. We're trying to keep the costs down so I didn't go crazy with these but they each got a bar of their favourite chocolate, a small rose gold mirror with bridesmaid on it and an A5 notebook with bridesmaid written on it along with a funny card each (all from Etsy).

We next sat down to work out our budget and we've come in just under £8000 for everything (excluding my dress) based on our forecast and so far we've come in under budget on everything that we've booked so I'm feeling pretty pleased with our budget. Which also happens to be colour coded and include automatic formulas to work out what is left to pay and what the total spend has been (I work on excel a lot, I got a bit carried away...).

Next up was venues. Now here is where my years of googling paid off as I already had a really good idea of where I wanted to get married - The Plough Inn at Eaton. I created a wedding email address and dropped them a message asking if we could come in for a visit which we booked for the first weekend of 2022. We went for Sunday lunch, met with the coordinator and got a full tour where we fell in love. The Plough is a country pub with a separate hotel building and an old, rustic barn where the wedding takes place. They're also building an orangery which will be where our drinks reception is held but it's not finished yet. We've booked their winter wedding package for 5th November 2023 and we'll likely have 55-60 guests so not a huge wedding. Below are some photos I took of the barn whilst we were there. Luckily T fell in love with the venue too and with the cost of the package being so good we decided on our drive home that this would be where we get married. We were so keen that the next day we contacted the registrar and got them booked at the same time that we confirmed the date with the venue and paid our deposit for both our ceremony and reception to be there.

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 2

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 3

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 4

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    My h2b done the same to me on christmas day but i had to look for my ring it was in a bauble on the tree xx💗 I love the idea this thread lets hope more join in xx
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh that's so sweet! I love that idea of having the ring on the tree Smiley smile

• K
    Dedicated April 2022 Dumfries Galloway & Ayrshire
    Kirsty ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Gorgeous venue!! Loving this thread x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    My thread isent like yours my planning is just registry office with h2b and 3 kids thats it xx💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It was but took me over 10 mins to find it all the baubles were the same colour x💗
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 5My bauble x

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That’s lovely that he hid it in the bauble for you 😊
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks i love the pics you have up so nice and romantic xx💗
  • R
    • Hide content

Your venue looks beautiful and perfect for a winter wedding. Such a good idea to have a smaller wedding too, as it gives you more time to catch up with each guest. Have you got a colour theme?

• L
    Dedicated September 2023 Derbyshire
    Lizzie ·
    • Hide content
    I love this!
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're thinking deep red, evergreen, white and splashes of gold. Don't want it to look like Christmas but I think those colours go together well Smiley smile

• R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think you can easily make that colour scheme look wintery rather than Christmassy, especially if the red is a deep red. Christmas reds tend to be brighter.

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is what I’m thinking! A much deeper red than the typical holly, bright, Christmas red and it should look wintery and cosy as opposed to festive.

I’ll do a proper update during the week but people have started receiving our save the dates this weekend so it’s been a very exciting few days!
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content

It's taken longer than planned for me to write my next update but here it is! After booking the venue we focussed on searching for our photographer. Despite there being nearly 2 years before our wedding the first 3 people that we contacted were fully booked. Eventually we found True Love Optics and decided to book them. Rob has been great to deal with so far and really understanding of how to deal with one of our relatives (he has Parkinsons and dementia and is a wheelchair but it's really important to us that we get some good photos with him).

Next up was save the dates! Despite searching everywhere I still cant find an invitation design that I like that doesn't break the bank. I can't explain exactly what I want but I can list a hundred things that I don't want! Because of that we decided to go with something random but fun for our save the date design. We included our cat Pops (real name Poppy)! No one was surprised to see that we've found a way to include her in our day and the save the dates have gone down really well.

This is the design that we used. We found a template on Zazzle and made changes to make it more us. The red writing ties in with our colour scheme and the background is a nod to the rustic barn of the venue. On the back we've included the link and password to our wedding website along with a note that says "Formal invite to follow. Please note that this will be for over 18's only". We managed to get 32 of them including envelopes for just under £20, not including postage and for the price I'm really happy with them.

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 6

I've also been wedding dress shopping for the first time and I'm going again on Sunday so I'll update on that soon but I may have already found my dress! Eeek so exciting!
  • Ostira
    Dedicated October 2023 Durham
    Ostira ·
    • Hide content
    Hi I loved reading your story and I have to say how similar it is to mine! I also met my fiancé online in 2015 and waited 7 years before he proposed! We also moved in together in 2016 and moved into our forever home in 2019! How bizarre! 😁 I love your proposal, it’s beautiful and love your idea for a planning thread. Best of luck!
  • L
    Beginner October 2022 West Yorkshire
    Lavinia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    This is so nice to read. I'm excited to be married to my love but the planning process isn't fun for me. Anyhow we too met online. We moved in less than a year together. Bought our home 7 years later proposal after 8 years and by the time the wedding comes around we'll be close to 9 years together. Look forward to reading more about your planning. Ps. I found my dress immediately which scared me so tried loads more on to be sure!!
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Wow such similar stories! Thank you for the lovely comment 😊
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh no, how come you’re not enjoying planning?
    How did you feel when you tried your dress on? I had a top two and one ended up playing on my mind loads and now I can’t get it out of my head.
  • R
    • Hide content

Your 'save the date' is adorable - that is such a cute photo of your cat! Your photographer sounds great too - glad it is all coming together for you.

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!
  • Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content
    Aww this is a lovely post 😊 sounds like your planning is going well, the other thing I would arrange asap is a cake maker, they seem to be the other people aside from photographers who get booked up ridiculously quickly.

I am having a Christmas wedding, 9th December this year, I had a 2020 Christmas Eve proposal which was perfect.
    Our colours are dark green and gold I can't wait to see it all come together 😍
  • Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! We actually have our cake maker booked, just behind with updates. Your wedding sounds lovely Smiley smile

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone!! Here's a very quick supplier update then I'll do a long post about wedding dress shopping as the second time was quite an experience and not in a good way!

So we've got our cake maker booked as well as our photographer. There's a cake shop local to us called Bele Brownies and I knew we'd want to use them if they covered our venue and they do! I'm vegan and it's not easy to find a good vegan cake but this place nail them. I go most weeks for a cheeky treat (sometimes two...) and everyone there is lovely. We haven't decided on the design yet but we know it will be 2 tiers with buttercream because neither of us are huge fondant fans. We also haven't picked flavours but some of our favourites are lemon and raspberry, lime and ginger, biscoff, carrot cake and standard vanilla. All of them are lovely and we're having a hard time narrowing it down to just two but thankfully we have plenty of time.

I'm currently researching hair and makeup artists, florists and DJs so I should have some updates on those soon. But if any of you have any recommendations for those suppliers in Cheshire that aren't really expensive please leave them in a comment Smiley smile

• Sophie
    Sophie ·
    • Hide content

Dress shopping!

Ok this may be a long one so I'll split it into 2 posts, 1 per shopping trip.

I first went back in March to a shop called Maria Modes Bridal in Macclesfield. It was just my Mum and I and we had an amazing experience! I can't recommend this store enough. The shop is beautiful, they have a massive selection of dresses, the staff are very knowledgeable and I was made to feel so special from the second I stepped through the door.

I tried on about 8 dresses I think and managed to really narrow down what I'm after. I definitely want a-line/ballgown, movement in the skirt and nothing too formal. I definitely do not want strapless or fitted. At the end of the appointment I was completely torn between 2 very different dresses.

I've covered my face purely because I am pulling some very unflattering faces and no one needs to see that! This first one is by Provonias and is called the Elara.

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 7

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 8

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 9

The next one is the one that I have become fixated on and I think it may well be my dress! It's called Fatima and is by Maggie Sottero. Adding that belt really made all the difference.

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 10

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 11

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread 12

The Elara is probably closest to what I always assumed I'd end up getting but something about the Fatima really just got me. It's so fun, not like anything I'd seen before and wow is it comfortable! The inside is so soft and it was definitely the most comfortable out of all the dresses that I've tried on.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics