Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sophie
Savvy November 2023 Derbyshire

Cosy Winter Wedding on a Budget - My Planning Thread

Sophie, 7 of April of 2022 at 14:26

Posted on Planning 50

Hello! I've decided to start a planning thread, even if they aren't really the done thing anymore, because I think it will be fun to write about my planning process as it goes along. So, here it goes! The Beginning: T and I have been together for 7 years this coming June and have been seriously...

Hello!

I've decided to start a planning thread, even if they aren't really the done thing anymore, because I think it will be fun to write about my planning process as it goes along. So, here it goes!

The Beginning:

T and I have been together for 7 years this coming June and have been seriously talking about getting married for at least 4 years. But in typical T fashion he has to do things in his own time and his own way and he kept me waiting! I met T online back in 2015 and after a year together I adopted a kitten (she plays a huge part in our lives) and the following year we moved in together. We've since moved house a couple of times and in 2019 we bought our own home out in the High Peak countryside. Since then I won't lie, I've been fairly actively googling wedding things and I even set up some private Pintrest boards to keep all of my ideas together. All the while T was saying it wasn't happening any time soon and to focus on other things that we had going on.

The Engagement:

Fast forward to Christmas Day 2021. Picture the scene: just the two of us and the cat in the living room, wrapping paper chaos everywhere and the cat having a fabulous time making paper forts. T announces that he's left my stocking upstairs and will be back in just a moment but can I please close my eyes. I'm there on the sofa talking to the cat saying how T had better be bringing down a framed photo of her or a box of chocolates (literally clueless as to what was going on) when he announced I could open my eyes. In front of me he was down on one knee, surrounded by wrapping paper, and he said "well I guess I'm asking you to marry me". I should add in here that neither of us are romantic in the slightest, I would have been weirded out if he'd said much more than this. He was holding out the most perfect ring I could imagine and I immediately said yes! We quickly facetimed our parents to announce the good news and I was immediately banned from doing any wedding planning until at least Boxing Day. I cheated slightly by ordering a few gifts for bridesmaid boxes but that doesn't count, or so I said. On Boxing Day we text everyone else and made it official by announcing it on Facebook and the wedding planning began! I'll get into the planning in the next post but for now here is a photo of my lovely engagement ring. It is a yellow gold band with a white gold setting, small round diamonds on the sides and a princess cut diamond in the middle.

cfb_382872.jpg

50 replies

• Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content

Dress shopping part 2:

I decided to take my 3 bridesmaids the next time I went shopping. My Mum lives in Spain so it was just me and the girls. We went to Wed2B in Manchester and... well lets say it didn't go according to plan.

Firstly let me say that I cannot knock Wed2B at all! The staff were amazing, I was helped by Chelsea and the store manager Lena, both of whom went out of the way to help me during what turned out to be a very difficult appointment.

To understand why this was such a mess you need to know a little about the 3 bridesmaids. My sister is incredibly outspoken and opinionated but has been one of the most supportive so far, even if we have completely different styles. One of my friends is quite quiet and tends to just go with the flow. The other friend is married and I was her bridesmaid so I was expecting lots of support and understanding from her.

I started by trying on 4 dresses that I'd seen online and picked out. I liked aspects of them all but they all had something that wasn't ideal about them such as the skirt being too big, it being too stiff and formal etc. Next the bridesmaids went a bit rogue and chose the dresses. I was already a little frustrated when I went into the dressing room because I really did not want to try on 2 of the dresses they'd picked because I really didn't like them but I agreed to keep the peace assuming they'd see why I didn't like them and we could move on. This did not happen.

As I've mentioned, my sister is very opinionated and quite blunt so I was expecting criticism from her but I was not expecting it from my married friend. Before I could say anything they'd be picking the dress apart and they completely disregarded how I was feeling. This happened for 4 dresses in a row. I was stood there in a dress that I hated and they were all telling me to try on a fitted dress even though I'd made it very clear that I've done that before and I really did not like the shape. I was feeling very down because when I was getting changed I'd hear comments being made like "she's just nit picking", "she's determined to be negative" and "we need to push her out of her comfort zone". I am a very decisive person and I know what I do and don't like so that last one in particular annoyed me.

It all came to a head when they were talking over me completely ignoring what I was saying and I ended up raising my voice and saying "none of you are listening to me!" very loudly. The manager had already been watching our appointment and at this point she intervened. She told me to get dressed and she would take me shopping. Whilst I was getting changed she told the lot of them off. She said no one, especially a bride, needs to hear the level of criticism that they were throwing at me and that this appointment was not about them, it was about me finding my wedding dress.

Eventually after cooling down the manager and I chose 2 dresses for me to try on. Neither were the one but I liked a lot about both of them. The last was a blush colour and everyone agreed that the colour looked good on my skin tone. I even said that I loved the colour which is why it was so annoying when my married friend piped up with "well I disagree, I don't like the colour at all, it does nothing for you". And that was the last bit of feedback I got before we left the shop. I really wasn't happy.

I've since text them all, they've apologised and everything is fine but I'm not taking them shopping again. It was horrible being stood there in a dress I hated feeling rubbish and I don't intend to relive that. So on 28th May I'm heading to a place called Sense and Sensability Bridal in Hazel Grove and I am going on my own. I'm looking forward to it! They sell the Fatima dress so I'm going to try that on along with a few others and see if it really is my dress!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135
    • Hide content

I'm sorry your second appointment was so rubbish - honestly, I don't get why people have to be so rude. It's possible to say what you don't like about a dress without completely rubbishing the dress itself if the bride obviously likes it.

It sounds as if you will be much better off going on your own. Either of the dresses in the photos would be lovely on you, so you already have two very strong contenders. If in doubt, go for the dress that is most comfortable. I found two dresses I really loved, but I felt much more comfortable in the second than in the first, so even though the first one was more 'bridal' I went for the second one and had no regrets.

And don't listen to any of that rubbish about being pushed out of your comfort zone - on your wedding day, you need to feel comfortable and confident - and you'll look much better in any dress if you feel that way.

• Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! I was really taken aback by the behaviour especially because I wasn't anything like that when I went dress shopping with my friend for her wedding.

I'm definitely leaning towards the comfy Fatima dress at the moment and hopefully my appointment next weekend will confirm that it is the one I want to go for. If not I think I've got a really good idea now about what I like and I'll easily be able to find something else Smiley smile

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi sophie hows the thread going have you picked your dress x馃挆
  • Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Michelle! I've not picked my dress yet but I have an appointment on Saturday so fingers crossed I choose one then! How is your planning going? It's nearly your wedding date isn't it?

Planning is actually going pretty well. I've just booked our florist and paid the deposit. I've gone with our venue's recommended florist which is Heaven Scent Floral Design by Ruth Rodger. Ruth has been wonderful to deal with and she really understood what we want from our flowers. We aren't getting a lot of flowers, just bouquets for the bridesmaids and I, a groom's buttonhole, 5 buttonholes for the Dads and groomsmen and 2 lapel corsages for the Mums. Ruth was by far the best quote coming in at 拢199.50 so I'm very happy to have her booked.

I'm currently trying to find a DJ. I've had one quote so far of 拢690 which is more than we want to spend so I'm still looking.

I've also booked our hair and makeup for on the day. I'm doing my own makeup so I've booked a makeup artist for my Mum and bridesmaids and a hair stylist for all of us. I've gone with Absolutely Flawless and I'm very excited to use them Smiley smile

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Mines next year but still stuck on if i want a lovely place to say i do or the registry office sounds like its all coming together xx do you know what style dress you after x馃挆
  • Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's me seeing July and not paying attention to the year, sorry! Hmm we debated a registry office but went with a venue where we could have everything so that it was easier for our guests, especially as one is in a wheelchair. You just have to do what's right for you both I think Smiley smile

• Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content

Hello everyone!

Drumroll please...

I've bought my dress!!

I went to SAS Bridal in Hazel Grove on Saturday and had a wonderful time. I went alone and both Jo and Haley took good care of me and made me feel welcome from the moment I stepped through the door. After an initial consultation regarding what I was after, previous shopping experiences and budget they both went upstairs to pull some dresses out for me before taking me through to the dressing room.

In total I tried on 5 dresses but I kept coming back to the Fatima. After putting it on again and playing around with different belts it became very clear that this was my dress. I facetimed my parents, both of whom loved it, and decided to end my dress shopping here and place an order for the Fatima by Maggie Sottero. It won't be delivered until next May at my request because I don't really want to have to store it for a year at home. I am very, very excited by this development!

I'm still working on finding a DJ. We've only had one quote come back so far and that was for 拢690 which is more than we want to spend so it's back to the drawing board. Once that's ticked off we'll have done all the big items and can focus on the smaller ones like decor, signage and the hen party Smiley smile

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No problem its him who just wants registry with it just being us and tje kids but i found i lovely place near us in knutsford cheshire called the love shack weddings its what i love but we have payed the deposit on registry its not much just trying to get him to come round to the idea whats your dress like hope its what you pictured yourself being in x馃挆
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry just seen what dress i love this dress its so pretty love the top i love dresses with that detali at top with the gap and the bottom love x馃挆
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135
    • Hide content

Congratulations on finding the dress - you must be so happy. I'm glad this experience was a more positive one for you than the last x

• Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That place sounds lovely. You could do your reception there so you get the best of both worlds maybe?
  • Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! 馃槉
  • Sophie
    Sophie
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you! It was definitely a much more positive experience. I felt so good when I walked away from that shop and I鈥檓 super excited to wear my dress now!
  • Niamh
    Beginner September 2022 Northumberland
    Niamh
    • Hide content

Aw Sophie I'm sorry your second dress shopping experience wasn't great - but I'm so happy you've found your dream dress now!! Enjoy every second of the wedding planning it goes by in such a hurry x

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    It is you should look it up see what you think x馃挆
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Your welcome x馃挆
  • V
    Beginner November 2024 Cheshire
    Vicky
    • Hide content
    I鈥檓 getting married at The Plough Inn too, November 2024 (amazing wedding package, isn鈥檛 it?!). Didn鈥檛 even go to look anywhere else. Found it online on Monday last week, contacted them straight away, then went to the open event on Thursday and booked it (and the registrar) at the same time! Will be following this thread for supplier recommendations haha - but I am reaching out to the people on the venue鈥檚 recommended list first. Booked our photographer over the weekend too! (The one that is recommended by them)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics