Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate7695
Dedicated May 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire

Does anyone else feel lonely in the whole wedding planning?

Kate7695, 23 of March of 2022 at 07:53 Posted on Beauty & Wellbeing 0 29
So, this morning we have our appointment at the registry office. So being up and awake I thought I'd go through the rsvps that have been sent back.
All of a sudden, I felt incredibly lonely.
We're 6 weeks away from the wedding and I still don't feel any excitement for it. I just feel very alone and stressed out. I have pretty much done everything and despite asking for support I've recieved very little. I don't know what to do other than carry on, but... I feel very isolated.Does any one else feel this way? Please reply. X

29 replies

Latest activity by Rona, 3 of April of 2022 at 16:13
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    This is all so hard - for some of us at least, a wedding has been something we knew would happen to us one day and the pressure to ‘get it right’ is crazy. I personally blame Disney for telling me my life needed a handsome Prince and a shiny wedding before I’d made it. Weddings also seem to have this amazing ability in bringing out the crazies in those around us - i know im not alone in family making planning/organising things so much harder rather than easier.
    You aren’t alone though - remember the (only) important thing is that you get to marry your other half. That’s the key part and everything else is nice (or not nice) to have. Can you talk to him about how you are feeling? That and/or a date night in which you talk about anything but the wedding - try and distract yourself by having fun with your man (yes, I know it’s easier said than done).
    Anyway, remember you aren’t alone - you’ve got him and you’ve got the lovely people here too! Xx
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kate, I am sorry you feel this way, it can be overwhelming with the amount if things you need to do. When you say you asked for support, is that from your FH or friends? Are there things you still need help with, as this community are really supportive, so please reach out if there is anything you are concerned about or need advice.

I am 5 weeks away and my main stress is people not replying, mainly family. I have now stopped chasing them and removed then from the guest list as in honesty if after emails, texts and FB messages you cant reply I dont actually want you at my wedding. It can be lonely as you feel you are doing it all yourself, I spoke to my FH about it and he made me see that as long as we are there and there is food and drink the rest really is not significant and I dont worry so much about the small stuff now. I hope your appointment goes ok, I found that stressful as I worried we wouldnt have the right paperwork and then wouldnt get our license, but it was really simple and we did ours last week and I am much calmer about it now. Please let us know if we can help in any way.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

This is sad to hear, I note you are in East Riding, may I ask where? I was interested as I was born and brought up in Bridlington and my parents still live there. We decided to get married down south though as I have lived here for 20 years. And is it a church or register office ceremony?

When you say you asked but got no support, who was that from? Family? Friends? Fiancé? And why do you think they haven't stepped up? I think you need to talk to your fiancé about the feelings of loneliness, I personally have a lot of support from my mum and sister. I think men sometimes think it is all a lot of fuss and they just don't get as carried away as some of us brides so that can make you feel lonely if you are making a lot of the decisions alone. Good luck with your day and here to talk if needed- from a fellow Yorkshire lass!

• Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi,
    Yes I'm in the East Riding.
    Neither, our ceremony is at the venue, so a civil ceremony.I don't know why people haven't stepped up. I honestly don't. I haven't asked much, but the things I have asked for help, I haven't received it so it's been up to me. I told my mam yesterday and she didn't say anything although she said she was sorry to hear I was feeling that way. My fiancé's support ends at handing money over. He has said himself he hasn't a clue on how to do any of this so he's left it to me. When decision jad come down to me. Everything. So if something goes wrong or if his picky parents don't approve or something happens, I will get the blame. Its exhausting.
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Kate didnt know you were feeling like that i think its always been a thing which the men think that they wouldnt be of any good but its what you need the help of him dont feel down if his parents think things arent right .It s you who is getting married not them Put in a text to the ones who you need help from wish i was closer would help you xx💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey, sadly yes.... I didn't really want to admit I was feeling this way until the other morning when it kind of hit me that I felt lonely. And sad. I don't know why sad, but yeah. I haven't yet felt any excitement for the big day. Is there something wrong with me?
    Thank you for your support, as always xx

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    DO NOT THINK like this i think with all the planning you are doing on your own you will feel like this plus the stress of your friends you want it to be perfect 💗💗💗💗💗💗 have you spoken to h2b told him how you feel you need his help to not just his money even a little help from him will help xx💗 Im here to chat anytime xx💗
  • Hannah
    Dedicated September 2023 South West London
    Hannah ·
    • Hide content

Hiya Kate,

I'm Hannah the community manager at Hitched.co.uk. I totally understand this feeling and it is not unusual to feel like this at this time as planning can be a lonely and stressful experience.

Please feel free to reach out on here or message me privately whenever you want! Whether it's to help pick options or if you are in need of some advice- we are always here!

We have a number of articles around stress and anxiety during wedding planning: I know they don't directly relate to loneliness but there might be some advice in there that helps! Take a look here

I hope that helps!

Hannah x

• V
    Curious October 2023 East Riding of Yorkshire
    Vjh ·
    • Hide content
    Aw this made me feel so sad! I’m another East Riding girl! Just in Hesse 🥰 you mentioned heading to the reg office today, are you able to make a day of it? Just you two? The weather is beautiful out there today and if you’re heading to Beverley, I know there’s a few nice little places to grab a bite not too far from the office. Maybe take the time to talk to your other half and let him know how you’re feeling? Weddings can be overwhelming- but you’re not alone sweetheart. Xx

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Kate, I was really sorry to hear this, what a shame you feel like this. Have his "picky parents" already been saying things then? I am lucky in that my fiancé only has his mum and she is not involved at all, she barely contacts us which is annoying but I guess it has its positives as we are able to do things our way.

Do you have a close friend that you could explain all this to and to ask for more support as it seems your mum wasnt't that forthcoming either?

You can always message us on here, there is lots of support on this forum, and you cand private message too. Good luck and hope your low mood improves, as this should be such an exciting time.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww Beverley is a blast from the past, I am from Brid lol

• L
    Savvy August 2022 North Yorkshire
    Lee-Anne ·
    • Hide content
    I feel lonely. But mainly because my mum isn't speaking to me so I just feel like everything I want to chat with her about I can't. And that's sad. So my loneliness is different but yeah I still feel lonely
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm really sorry, that must be very hard for you. X
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Hannah, thank you so much for your kind words. I will have a look xx
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you 🥰
    I can't help it, I try and have tried to get everythjng prefect. I just want to have a lovely day. I do not want a repeat of iur engagement party where I planned and decorated everything. I was so stressed I didn't actually have a moment to enjoy it as I was playing hostess all night. I DO NOT want to feel like this on my wedding day!
    Yes we had a chat last night and I did feel a little better as he's taken charge of some things, mostly dealing with his family. What doesn't help is my soon to be sister jn law who is constantly comparing her wedding (last October) to ours. Everything is a competition and its really tiring. 😔 Especially when every decision has come down to me and I am under the spotlight. Again, that feeling of loneliness comes back. Xx
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hessle? I'm from Hull 🙂
    Sadly not, I had to work half a day but we did have a nice morning pottering about and having some lunch after the registry.
    I did have a talk with him. He didnt fully understand the amount of pressure and the 'spotlight' feeling, but he made it very clear that he is always there and he loves everything I've planned and booked so far. He was very sweet and he apologised for not realising how stressed I am xx
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh yes, his parent have been very vocal and not shy about stating their opinions. They are the sort of people who listen to your idea, say its wrong and how you should do it, then say "but it's your choice". Like you're making a bad decision if you don't listen to them and go your own way.
    Sadly my best friend (and bridesmaid) has also fallen off the radar. She hasn't replied to my calls and has let me down last minute for several things lately. Hence why I've just thought I'd do it on my own.
    I know, and I want to feel excited and beautiful in my dress and everything but I don't. I don't know why. 😕 x
  • V
    Vjh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I don’t think the guys realise sometimes just how much planning there actually is. My other half thought once we’d booked the venue then that was it 😂 erm, no love, we need to now think about the room decor, the photographer, the cake, the outfits, the favours, the music, the rings. The list goes on- he genuinely thought the venue sorts out most of that 🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️🤦🏼‍♀️
    I’m glad you spoke to him though. X
    (Sorry yeah, I mean hessle, I was just typing too quickly) xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Glad you had that chat with him just ignore the sister in law look whos getting married shes had her day this is your day and it will be perfect because you have planned it all x💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Easier said than done but I'm trying xx
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is very true and has even quite apparent through the entire planning process. Wonderful, where is your venue? X
  • V
    Vjh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’ve chosen Lazaat- what about you? X
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Sorry hun dont know what else i can say xx 💗
  • Marybeth
    Beginner August 2022 Hampshire
    Marybeth ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kate,

Sorry to hear you are feeling lonely! There is nothing wrong with you at all, this is quite normal and happens because of the expectation we put on ourselves to be able to do things ourselves. You might need to be a tad more vocal with people about what you'd like them to do, and maybe for your FH the instructions need to be clearer as some men tend to think it's the bride's day and not theirs, so they try to stay out of your way so you can put your vision to life and they can be scared of messing that up. If your instructions are really clear that might help? With your friends/family, don't be afraid to be vulnerable. You can tell his parents that the stress of others opinions is weighing you down, you can tell your sister you'd really appreciate if she wouldn't compare your weddings because you're pretty stressed yours won't be as good. People are more receptive when you're honest and being genuine. Don't feel like you have to put on a brave face all the time. Hope things get better for you and you start to feel the joy of it all again soon. xxx

• Pinkcoffee22
    Dedicated April 2022 Staffordshire
    Pinkcoffee22 ·
    • Hide content
    I definitely feel the same way, so you’re not alone. I’m supposed to be getting married 3 weeks today but I’m just not feeling excited at all. There’s been so much drama and stress and so many family fallouts I just don’t have the energy for it anymore.

It is definitely a lonely time. Xxx
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I'm sorry you're having a difficult time too. I never thought that planning a wedding (which is supposed to be such a happy event), would bring out so many arguments and so much stress. Xxx
  • S
    Beginner April 2022 California
    Short ·
    • Hide content
    Hello, you’re not alone 😢. I’m sitting here in my car at a secluded part of the parking lot crying and looking for other people who feels the same way in the internet. My side of friends are excited and have been actively involved in the process. But my FH family isn’t as much. He hasn’t really been proactive and it makes me feel like he doesn’t really want to get married. Idk. I’ve been doing 99% of the planning for 2 yrs. He told me that he’s just really nervous because this is such a huge step. But we’ve been engaged for 2 yrs now and he’s been brushing off this emotions. Now we’re 3 days away from getting married and I’m sitting here in my car, not planning on going back home for few hours. He was giving me such attitude for helping me
    half-ass on packing the cookies for our dessert table. When I had to redo his packaging (because the jam was smeared all over the bag and the knot was coming off) he started having attitude and slammed the door on his way out. When he got back he kept slamming cabinets and doors. I told him to stop doing it and he got defensive. Gave me attitude and being a jerk. So I told him to leave me alone for the rest of the day. He left to go take a walk. I drove away and here I am sitting in a parking lot crying. So you’re not alone. I’m not sure how I can make you feel better, but typing my emotions is helping at the moment. Thanks for reading and I hope I don’t get cold feet come April 4th.
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi short only just seen your post hope your okay xx💗
  • R
    Beginner June 2022 Greater Manchester
    Rona ·
    • Hide content
    I feel exactly the same apart from my future husband I’ve not had any help. Had a nightmare with covid like everyone, then my venue went into liquidation, chose another venue for the same date but it’s not the same area so suppliers, MUA won’t travel, my hen party I’ve sorted twice the second time the flights have changed so i’am trying to get money back whilst doing all the other things, exhausted not excited x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics