Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner October 2011

Groom, Best Man and Father of the bride help!?!

Mrs.Keogh2b, 13 May, 2011 at 14:18 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi all, Should all 3 of them wear the same colour waistcoats and cravats? Also should the groom wear waistcoat and cravat to match my brides dress? Is just ive seen a really nice purple waistocat for my h2b which matches the bridesmaids dresses but now im not so sure if it should match my dress?

Any help is much appreciated

11 replies

Latest activity by Lillibet, 13 May, 2011 at 16:15
  • Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Hi there ?

The groomsmen are all wearing the same colour suits apart from my OH who is wearing a different colour waistcoat and cravat to the rest. Hope that helps.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Yes. no and maybe.

Traditions may say certain things but at the end of the day it doesn't matter, it's what you and your partner want.

Me and my best man are wearing matching waistcoats. All the men in the bridal party will have matching ties - these match the waistcoats, which in turn match the bridesmaids dresses.

But our suits are just the suits we own - they won't be matching, some grey, some black, some navy.

A lot of it depends on your colours - if for example you have an ivory dress he could have an ivory waistcoat but that would look silly with a white or ivory shirt. However, he might not be comfortable wearing a purple shirt the same colour as your bridesmaids.

At the end of the day, it's what you both want. That's all that really matters.

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

Its your wedding you can have whatever combination you want Smiley smile

I personally am not so hot on the coloured/patterned waistcoats and cravats/ties.

My OH is wearing a black suit and a black waistcoat and ivory cravat (maybe black) tie. My Dad and BM are wearing black suits but ivory waistcoats. Their waistcoats are funky (well I likee anyways) as they are cut away at the back and I like this style, quite gangster style of the 1920s and my OH is wearing black and white spats Smiley smile

My BMs are in midnight blue.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

My groom is wearing different colour tie and a fancier waistcoat and buttonhole to the best man dads and ushers. Not sure which way round yet though, I would like him to wear ivory and the others to wear black(same as bridesmaids) but he wants the others to wear ivory him to wear black..

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Not keen on coloured waistcoats - they remind me of snooker players.

All the boys have a three-piece grey suit and white shirts. My boy and his best man are wearing champagne cravats, the ushers and fathers are wearing white cravats. They will all wear the same buttonhole (white rose with gold centre). The embroidery on the back of my dress is pale gold so this dictated the BM dresses (champagne gold) and the boys' accent colours.

• BespokeTailor
    BespokeTailor ·
    • Hide content

I don't think matching waistcoats are a necassity. Most Grooms I dress will wear something different to the other members of the party. Some match the bride, some the bridesmaids, some nothing at all! (me ?)

If anything I would say matching waistcoats and cravats are becoming increasingly unpopular. The vast majority of Grooms I meet at the moment are asking for 3.piece suits.

Personally, I like things not to match. I like the idea of the Bride having 'The' dress and the Groom having 'The' suit. I am sure no-one would ever ask the Bride to wear a dress that matched the grooms waistcoat. (or perhaps some do, I don't really know, I should really stick to professional opinions and not personal ones. ? )

Marc

• C
    Beginner June 2013
    Cajy ·
    • Hide content

We won't be having matching suits at our wedding at all. Everyone will come in the suits they own - the Groom will probably have a waistcoat though.

• Cheeky_pie
    Beginner August 2011
    Cheeky_pie ·
    • Hide content

My OH and all the men will wear the same suits and waist coats. My OH is wearing a tie the same colour as the bridesmaid dresses!!! The rest of the men will wear ivory i wanted it the other way around but he wanted to wear the coloured one!!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I think that's the traditional way, with the groom in ivory and the rest in colours.

• M
    Beginner October 2011
    Mrs Poon ·
    • Hide content

I have decided to have all matching waistcoats for the boys. My H2B will have the same colour cravat and hankie as my dress and the BM, ushers, fathers and pageboy will have cravats the same colour as my two bridesmaids x

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha yes totally agreed! I could never figure out why I didn't like coloured waistcoats but I think this might be the reason!

Thankfully OH agrees, and the men will be having waistcoats to match the suits. Ties will (probably) be traditional and have ushers and BM matching the bridesmaids, and OH in ivory.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics