Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Red Baroness
Beginner July 2012

Have you ever pulled a sickie?

Red Baroness, 26 of July of 2011 at 09:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 23

I have called in sick before when I haven't been well, but I perhaps could have dragged myself in. But I've never pulled a sickie when I've been feeling 100% alright, which I'm guessing is what most people would consider a true 'sickie' to be.

I am certainly tempted sometimes though!

23 replies

Latest activity by Cookie Galore, 26 of July of 2011 at 13:15
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i have!!! and went to Alton Towers instead ?

Blamed wisdom tooth ache and 'fascial swellling' (i was due to have the tooth out soon anyway so was utterly beleiveable!)

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Same as you Barry.

I hate calling in sick, even when ill. I have a guilty conscience and convince myself I'm well enough to go in, even if I'm not. Hence only having 1 day off sick in the last 18 months.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I have pulled a sickie once or twice in my yoof when I was overhung, but haven't pulled a sickie in over 6 years since I started where I am now.

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im exactly the same.

I cant say no to overtime either (this really bugs me!), i feel guilty like im letting people down if I dont do it.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I can't pull a sickie - I work in HR!!

We also have a policy where the line manager will take your home number and call you back, at some point during the day... so you have to wait in for the call and can't go to Alton Towers!!!

Haven't had a proper day off sick since I broke my coccyx 2.5 years ago and was off for 4 weeks!!

(Had a couple of afternoons where my boss sent me home...)

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Yes.?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Me either. The guilt would cripple me. And I'd be too scared to go anywhere fun anyway.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

did you go to Alton Towers too T-Dogg ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Not since my Sat job at New Look when I was 16- had gone to Club Uropa the night before and was seen by my boss unbeknown to me- cue a telling off when I got back to work.

When I was a temp I used to all the time- notable excuse for not coming to work was "Im in London" had decided to go out in town and stay at a mates rather than get the train home at 4am in time for work- temp agencey lady was not impressed with me.

I have never done it in a "proper" job though- have had one days sick in the last 6 years. My compnay have a really strict sickness policy though- if you are off sick- your manager will pop round to see you!

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Not in my current job. Think I've had 2 genuine sick days in the 4 years I've been here - both sickness bugs.

In my old job, when I was in London and OH was in Wales, I pulled a sickie on a Monday so that I could spend an extra night with him. In fairness, I did have some kind of allergic reaction to a new washing powder I'd bought, so I looked horrendous when I went back on the Tuesday!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Call divert is your friend here...

I have once when I was 18 or 19 - I was hungover technically I was ill. Yuck.

I also managed to wangle a day off when we had the snow a few years back. I had the remote working capability so it didn't make much of a difference but we still managed to take in an epic snowball fight.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh yes, i worked at the bank when this was occuring and we were told to stay at home due to the snow as they didnt want to be sued if anyone had any accidents getting into work!! I KID YOU NOT!!!!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no!

If I do pull a sickie I wont leave the house. Too many people I work with live locally to me and it's not worth it!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I haven't done this either as I would feel really guilty, but I am sorely tempted!!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

I live practically across the road from work so couldn't really pull a sickie if I wanted to. I always feel soooo guilty if I have any time off work. I had a day off the other week when I was throwing up and literally couldn't move, and I still felt guilty. Before that, my last sick day was 2 years before when I had mumps and wasn't allowed to go in due to being highly contagious

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh good thinking batfink!

We are expected to come in during the snow. After the last downfall I was tasked with checking everyones home addresses to see who lived within a mile of the office and could have walked in!!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Really Mrs C?

Had work expected me to walk a mile in the snow to get in they could have then expected the "I'm ill" phone call the next day!

As it was, I had the opposite problem - I got to work and then received a call telling me not to worry coming in!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Really really...

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I only live a 20 minute walk away from work so I had no excuse not to come in when the snow was really bad. RUBBISH!

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here, although my walk is about 10mins, we are in a tiny rural village and I'm the only one that lives in the village, or walking distance in the snow, so am always the only one that is ever here!! V. boring and annoying, but then at least I get paid and the others dont.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

That's the bad thing about living so close to work, no excuse to not go in on a snow day. Earlier this year when the snow was really bad, OH had to work something daft like 4 shifts in 2 days, as other managers couldn't get in as they live miles away. We need to move before winter!

• Hollie1984
    Beginner July 2012
    Hollie1984 ·
    • Hide content

Yes i have called in sick once...

I was 19 and fed up with my job in a hotel and had given my notice in and only had a couple of weeks left so wasnt too bothered about making an effort to go to work! So me and my friend decided to go to bournemouth for the night and go out clubbing, i had work the next day so planned to call in sick in the morning. So all went to plan i called in sick with a bug, off to bournemouth we go, a day on the beach and clubbing at night. The next day i received a phonecall from my boss:

Boss - 'Hollie could tell me again what exactly is wrong with you?'

Me - 'I have a bug, like i told you yesterday'

Boss - 'Well i just called your home phone to ask you where a file was and your dad answered... he told me you are in bournemouth'

Me - 'Ummmmm oh no hes got that wrong.... im ill in bed' !!! Uh oh!!

I had told my mum what i was doing but hadnt told my dad, so when i got back to work i was called into the office, got into a right cufuffle and made some excuse that i was actually at the doctors about a lady problem and didnt want to tell my dad so i told HIM i was going to bournemouth.... eeeeeeeek - never rung in sick again since!!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I used to do it loads when i was younger (a teenager) and the working week involved weekends, but have not and wouldn't do now. I get enough holiday and my boss is really flexible so there would never really be a need to do this.

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Not a true one - I've probably not tried as hard as I could have to come in when I've just got the cold though. Not very often mind you.

Re the snow days I managed in all but one day this winter - on that day I walked the 2 miles to the train station through knee deep snow only to find nothing was running so walked the two miles back home. I found out the next day that one of my support staff had walked over 4 miles into the office only to get a b*ll*cking from her line manager (who was dropped off by her H in his 4x4) for being an hour late. I was raging when I found out but unfortunately powerless to do anything to help her. The line manager was off "because of the snow" for 3 days following that. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics