Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Lynseys Designs
Beginner

Hitched 2011 Raffle

Lynseys Designs, 8 of July of 2011 at 10:46 Posted on Planning 0 56

Hi everyone,

Some of you will remember that I organised a raffle on Wedding Planning in 2009 and I managed to get £4000+ worth of prizes from HIBs, Hitchers themselves and external sources. We raised quite a bit of money for 2 different charities so it was worth while and some of the prizes were worth quite a bit of money including Rock the Frock sessions, Engagement Shoots and jewellery to name just a few.

The raffle does involve a lot of work and I vowed never to do it again but here I am suggesting it! Another Hitcher has agreed to help with everything and it will be run a bit differently from before as well.

So I want to guage interest before I start contacting prize donators because if there isn't enough interest from Hitchers wanting to buy raffle tickets then it's not feasible to do again.

Here is the last raffle thread so you can see what was on offer before https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/t/161165.aspx.

As I've said it will be done slightly differently this time to make organising it a bit easier and also to give people a higher chance of winning the prizes they want. You'd buy a raffle ticket (not decided on the cost yet so will discuss that later with everyone) and one ticket would give you one raffle number against a specific prize. This means people aren't going to win a prize that isn't wanted or is location specific because no point in winning a cake from Scotland if you live in Devon!

Any thoughts are appreciated so feel free to post whether this is worth while or not.

Thanks

Lynsey

56 replies

Latest activity by libracat, 10 of July of 2011 at 16:20
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Good idea but haven't we done one already this year?

ETA: It might be a bit too soon to the BT one as I think several HIBs and posters from here have donated to that too and it might affect how much people are willing to give now, either in prizes or ticket sales.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends what the chosen charities are as to whether it's something we personally feel inclined to support or not - and the price of the tickets - but in theory I'd be happy to buy a few tickets.

Although of course for many of us our wedding will be "done and dusted" by the date of the draw the list of suitable prizes may be reduced, but I guess there are some things that will be suitable regardless of whether it's before or after the big day.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good, I'm in

• llandudnolover
    Beginner
    llandudnolover ·
    • Hide content

I'd def be interested! Sounds exciting!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

How about setting up a silent auction. I think alot more of us hibs could find something to contribute with that and people could bid on things they want.

The charities supported would also effect things.

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

I love raffles - I would buy lots of tickets

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

CB I did one in 2009 and then BB did one for Eliz in Nov 2010 so wasn't sure whether it was too close to the 2010 raffle?

AJ there will always be newbies though and OM's so no matter when it's done there will be weddings past and present.

Greenleaf how does a silent auction work? How would it get more people involved? Sounds good though, just no idea how it works so I'm interested to know as it's all about making money for the charities.

The charities can be decided by hitchers so whatever people feel the most passionate about can benefit.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

I would be interested

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know, but as I said it depends if we can pick our prizes or not - there's little to no use of me winning, say, a wedding cake in December when we'll have been marrried by 4 months by then.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

If it goes ahead now rather than later on in the year (to avoid your cake issue, aj) there's scope to swap prizes like we did after the last one. That's part of the fun!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

?

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Silent auction - Hibs put up prizes and then people can view the prizes and put forward a bid on how much they would be willing to give.

This way a hib could put forward something, i.e photography, hair makup etc and only those who it would affect would bid.

The only people who would know the amounts of the bids would be the organiser and the person bidding. No one else would know what has been bid.

This way people wouldnt end up with prizes that they cannot use.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

If I remember rightly for the main raffle in 2010 we had a list of overall prizes and when we purchased tickets we listed our top 5 prizes and so could choose either wedding or non-wedding prizes?

I never got my prize from BB's charity raffle ?

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Me neither, Mrs C!

• KatalinaNastyCough
    Beginner November 2011
    KatalinaNastyCough ·
    • Hide content

I'd be interested Smiley smile either a raffle or a silent auction!

Definitely think its a good idea to have Hitchers choose the charities too!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

SHOCKING!! what was it?

• LuLu_x
    Beginner May 2012
    LuLu_x ·
    • Hide content

I'd be up for it, i won a rock the frock photoshoot in the last raffle ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't actually remember.

BB did a cracking job with that raffle but I was never contacted about my prize and then got wrapped up with life!

I won the shoot with Teri from the 2010 raffle which was awesome!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

AJ it's simple, if you buy a raffle ticket then don't vote for a prize you aren't interested in whether that be because you don't like it or it is useless due to your wedding plans. I've already mentioned that my first thought of how it can work is that you vote for the prize so yes you can pick what you want to win.

A silent auction sounds good but if I'm honest I don't have the time to spend on that as it would be more work I think going through a lot of emails and recording all the bids? If someone else is happy to do this then I'm more than willing to get the prizes together and someone else does the rest?

Mrs C I'm not sure about BB's raffle but the one I did before was organised so that you could pick your prizes in order of preference, something makes me think BB didn't do that but my memory is shocking. Whereas this time I'm thinking that each ticket is specific to a prize as the one in 2009 was extremely time consuming and had me in tears and a lot of stress! lol It's shocking you didn't get your prize.

If there is another way of organising it I'm definitely happy to change it.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I would be interested in buying tickets, thanks Lynsey Smiley smile

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I think a raffle sounds simpler (and cheaper!) than a silent auction.

I'd be interested in a rock the frock shoot and jewellery but as an OM a lot of the prizes would not be relevant to me.

• B
    Beginner December 2011
    BudgetBride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Count me in Smiley smile

• Princess_Dimples
    Beginner August 2013
    Princess_Dimples ·
    • Hide content

Count me in again too... I won in the 2009 raffle, and I have Peter doing my wedding Photo's!!!! Can't wait

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    ames2uk ·
    • Hide content

I'd be interested, as long as ticket prices were reasonable

love the idea of being able to help choose the charities!

• S
    Beginner June 2012
    scarybiscuits ·
    • Hide content

Sounds good! count me in!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think this is a good idea. I missed out on last year's one as I joined Hitched ever so slightly too late! Though I would like it to be asap so I can use prize at my wedding should I win ?

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I would buy tickets.

How soon after people started buying tickets would the draw take place?

• jenny18/11/11
    Rockstar November 2011
    jenny18/11/11 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Nor me! I swapped my original prize, as it was an engagement shoot in the NW of England - great prize, but wrong location for me. Can't remember what I swapped it for, and wasn't really bothered to chase it up as the prize wasn't my motivation for entering the raffle, but interesting to know that other people didn't receive theirs either.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly...

Its a great event to pull everyone together and to make money for a charity at the same time is really lovely.

• Faeth
    Beginner November 2011
    Faeth ·
    • Hide content

I'm new to Hitched, so haven't seen any of the previous ones, but a raffle sounds like a great idea, and I'd join in :-)

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Count me in

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I heard about the previous raffle and wondered if there was going to be another one. I'm definitely up for it, count me in!! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics