Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Clairy
Beginner October 2003

How much alcohol do you drink?

Clairy, 2 of March of 2009 at 14:32

Posted on Off Topic Posts 76

I know we've done this several times before, but up until then I've been in denial and not willing to confront the amount I actually do drink. I don't think I have a *problem* but I know I drink way over the recommended levels and it's starting to worry me. I've decided to have an alcohol free week...

I know we've done this several times before, but up until then I've been in denial and not willing to confront the amount I actually do drink.

I don't think I have a *problem* but I know I drink way over the recommended levels and it's starting to worry me. I've decided to have an alcohol free week and think seriously about cutting down.

Currently I drink two large glasses of wine per night, every night. Some nights I will have 3 or 4 (although never more, and this is usually reserved for weekends). I make that 40.5 units per week. Fucking hell.

76 replies

• vicbic
    Beginner September 2003
    vicbic ·
    • Hide content

Generally, I drink Thursday, but not much because of commitments the next day.

Friday, I usually get through one gin and orange, and then the majority of a bottle of wine (more if I'm out I would guess)

I don't tend to count as it just makes me feel grumpy with the guilt. ?

And that is usually it. I sometimes have one drink on Saturday, but only if I had less on the friday.

I think a bottle of wine has 9 units. So, I would guess I am at around 15-20 units, depending on the week.

• vicbic
    Beginner September 2003
    vicbic ·
    • Hide content

Also found this, which is quite helpful to tot up your units

http://units.nhs.uk/unitCalculator.html

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    carolinabena ·
    • Hide content

6 regular glasses a week, 2 Fri, 2 Sat, 2 Sun, like to have 4 alcohol free nights a week. i'm on lots of painkillers but doc said okay, as long as i don't drive/ operate heavy machinery etc. think it's 12 units?

• GMT
    Beginner December 2008
    GMT ·
    • Hide content

I share a bottle with Mr GMT on Friday night to help wash down the curry, and another bottle on sunday with our evening meal. Sometimes we will have a bottle mid-week but not always.

• S
    Beginner November 2014
    shagalizard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm very similar. I don't drink alcohol at all, I don't like the taste of it or the feeling of being drunk and there is alcoholis in my family so I don't want to be like them. I'm too much of a control freak to drink.

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content

I am another who rarely drinks.

I had a glass of wine at Christmas and nothing until I had half a cider on Saturday.

I would say I probably have no more than 10 units a year.

I get horrible hangovers, so prefer not to drink.

• T
    Tanta ·
    • Hide content

I have the odd vodka every now and then, not a regular pattern. If out to a meal I'll have a glass or 2 of red wine. When I drink I take milkthistle to avoid any after effects.

Beginner June 2001
    *LJ ·
    • Hide content

I am terrible. A bottle of wine plus a night.

The children and dog are driving me potty at the minute so everytime I vow to lay off for a bit I end up on it again as soon as I have a bad day (which doesn't take long round here).

I know I need to cut down before my liver packs in! Off to the cinema tonight to keep sober and take my mind off it!

• Copper
    Copper ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat as Bobbly1 and Mrs Magic, in that I drink very very rarely. We have alcohol in the house but it barely gets touched. Occassionally I will have a Baileys or a Disaronno (once every 2-3 months) and if we go out for a meal, if H drives, I may have one glass of wine but it really doesn't cross my mind to drink alcohol regularly.

My Dad is an alcoholic so that may have some baring on my choices but I also don't like the feeling of being fuzzy headed.

• rufus
    Beginner January 2007
    rufus ·
    • Hide content

I can't drink alcohol as even a couple of sips makes me very anxious that I'm going to make a complete idiot of myself - the result, I'm sure, of too much heavy drinking in my early twenties and one too many awful hangovers.

I will drink a toast but use the tactic someone else mentioned where I'll pass my drink on after that.

• legless
    Beginner
    legless ·
    • Hide content

I found this a good read

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/may/11/women.healthandwellbeing2

• Gryfon
    Gryfon ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink at home, but when I'm out I may have one or two. Although I went on a bus party last Friday and had several more than one or two ? Can't have been too bad though as I only felt a bit groggy on Saturday.

• princess layabout
    Beginner October 2007
    princess layabout ·
    • Hide content

My husband barely drinks at all; maybe a glass of wine with lunch or dinner if we're out with family and the occasional tipple in the evening - very occasional, ie once every couple of months. The result of having married this wowzer paragon is that I barely drink these days either. This is the only reason I'm as virtuous about it as I am. I'm off the booze 99% as I'm 'duffed at the moment anyway, but normal service would be that I'd buy a bottle of wine every few weeks and drink it over the course of two or three evenings.

I used to drink a lot more, and still do if I'm in the wrong company. I do suffer hideous hangovers these days and behave like an arse when drunk, so it's just as well I lay off it these days.

• fiona-100
    Beginner
    fiona-100 ·
    • Hide content

I drink too much.

I have half a bottle 5 nights a week with a G&T, plus maybe another glass or 2 of wine, on Fri and Sat. I think my H must drink double what I do.

A few years ago I made the decision not to drink on Mon and Tues as I was drinking every night out of habit. I also bought some smaller wine glasses and a spirit measurer as my gin measures were probably doubles. So I have made an effort to cut down, but I enjoy the taste of wine too much to cut it out.

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content

At home, maybe we'll split a bottle of wine on a Saturday night, not every weekend.

If I go out maybe 2/3 glasses of wine. Definitely well under the recommended levels.

However I had the most hideous night in September when I went straight from work to the pub with some friends, just had 4 or 5 glasses of wine (but no food, and looking back they must have been large glasses) and ended up vomiting in the pub toilet. H had to come and collect me, we got a cab and had to get out half way home because I needed to be sick in a gutter ☹️. I hadn't behaved like that since freshers at Uni (>7 yrs) and it shocked and scared me: not to mention being totally and utterly mortified and furious with myself for getting in that state.

So I'm a lot more careful now to stop as soon as I feel even a tiny bit pissed and I don't miss it one little bit.

I often drink soft drinks at the pub anyway and have done for years (only driver for a long time; also been very poor for a long time!). I'd happily be teetotal.

• minerva
    Beginner January 2007
    minerva ·
    • Hide content

A few months ago I registered at a new doctors. The nurse who did the medical thing asked how much I drank and when I said "10 units a week" she started firing questions at me about how much was a unit etc and seemed somewhat annoyed that my answers stood up under scrutiny.

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To be fair most people still get it wrong e.g. thinking that beer is 2 units a pint, but most beers are now nearer 3, and a 'glass of wine' which people still think of as 1.5 units is only 125ml which is actually near impossible to buy in most bars!

• minerva
    Beginner January 2007
    minerva ·
    • Hide content

RA - I didn't have a problem that she wanted to clarify I knew what that meant by my answer but I did think a tiny bit off that she seemed put out that I did know what they meant and/or she couldn't catch me lying.

• Magenta
    Beginner October 2004
    Magenta ·
    • Hide content

Minerva - she asked because she knows that people like me will lie.

I am not proud of it but it would not be entirely unusual for me to share a bottle of wine with mr magenta about 4 nights a week and possibly drink up to a whole bottle myself over a whole evening at a dinner/ball/social event (cos I am a cheapskate and buy whole bottles of wine when out to be sociable and save money) plus a few ports/brandies etc after dinner. so - average week - four x half a bottle = 20units. Week with a fancy dinner/ re-enactment dinner/ birthday bash/wedding - = 30 units+ .

however when asked by my GP i would say 12 units or something well under the guidelines cos I feel guilty admitting it to professionals.

magenta x

• R-A
    Beginner July 2008
    R-A ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree, strikes me as very odd (and not professional). Why would she want you to be drinking in excess?

<cynic> maybe it's something to do with getting the government "points" (therefore money) for the surgery if she can then advise you to cut down? <cynic> (I have no idea if this is the case)

FWIW I'd say over 90% of people I see when you ask them to say exactly what they drink, they've underestimated the units.

• Sofianna
    Beginner January 2007
    Sofianna ·
    • Hide content

You probably don't want to know how much I drink. I had 1.5 glasses of wine Saturday before last and I've not had any alcohol since.

But I do eat too much chocolate.

• Smiley
    Beginner
    Smiley ·
    • Hide content

More than I should. A lot more than I should. I only like crisp dry white wine though ... I cant touch anything else. If we are out and there isnt any of that, then I would rather drink water cold crisp water.

I dont know what that makes me ?

I do love dry white wine though ... I could sit and drink it all night, especially my 10% Soave ?

• Doughnut
    Beginner June 2008
    Doughnut ·
    • Hide content

I don't drink during the week. I would love to I suppose but I get up at 6am and the extra calories would make me fat if I'm honest.

We used to drink at home on a Friday night, bottle or two of wine and go out every Sat night. Now I guess I drink 3 Saturday nights a month, maybe 4. I probably have 6 pints or the equivalent in wine.

• rufus
    Beginner January 2007
    rufus ·
    • Hide content

Doubt it. But for me it's a bit like peer pressure and I don't want to be left out!

Funny now I think of it that I actually only do it for champagne toasts...the more 'special' the occasion the more I want to mark it that way. (Not just for random 'cheers'!)

• Redbedhead
    Beginner August 2006
    Redbedhead ·
    • Hide content

I barely drink but mainly because the sproglet still wakes in the night to be fed and if I have even just a few glasses it makes it more difficult to wake up and also means I don't sleep as well so am knackered the next day. As a result I probably only have a glass of wine once or twice a month. Pre-baby it was a different story but I would only really drink when out and not at home.

• Mal
    Expert January 2018
    Mal ·
    • Hide content

Not enough! I am lucky if I have a couple of units a month. Sometimes I think it's because I don't have the opportunity but then other times I think that if I had the chance to be brat free for the evening, I would probably just have an early night ?

• Diefenbaker
    Beginner September 2008
    Diefenbaker ·
    • Hide content

Ex Mr Dief and I used to share a bottle of wine most nights, and usually a bottle each or more on weekends.

Now I have the odd glass of wine or whisky on a schoolnight, but hardly any compared to how much I used to drink. I usually drink a bottle of wine on a Friday and Saturday night though so that still racks up the units.

I've found that drinking less in the week has really helped with weight loss, and I prefer not feeling tired and groggy in work any more. And I appreciate the occasional schoolnight drink I have even more now.

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

Nothing at all now I'm upduffed but I may have a small glass at sherry's upcoming hen do and wedding but that will be it.

Before I got pregnant I was drinking a stupid stupid amount, I couldn't even have hazarded a guess. It wasn't always every night but even after I'd finished work we'd have a pint.

• JK
    Beginner February 2007
    JK ·
    • Hide content

I'm not adverse to a lot of champagne, or Pimms, at a wedding or whatever, but only if I'm in the kind of company where the t!t I inevitably make of myself won't haunt me forever. I'll have a drink when we have people over, and will be thick-tongued and ridiculous in under two glasses. Sometimes I'll have a glass of wine or a G&T in the evenings. But on average, I reckon I drink fewer than about 8 units a month, over the year. Including Christmas.

• Mrs Magic
    Beginner May 2007
    Mrs Magic ·
    • Hide content

Nonie, it's definitely not essential and if I can do it with Ame or another soft drink I will but I struggle in saying no if someone hands me a glass of champagne. I can't bring myself to toast with water but that's me being silly. ?

? to anyone who needs one tonight, I get the feeling that a few of you are quite down about this.

• Peaches
    Super January 2012
    Peaches ·
    • Hide content

I had a glass of wine on Christmas Day. Nothing on New Years. A glass of champagne on Valentines Day (the rest is still in the fridge with a spoon to keep it fizzy .. yeah, like it will be 2 weeks later!), and on Saturday night I had a glass of white wine, a cocktail (home-made, quite sour, not sure what), another glass of wine with dinner, some dessert wine, and tons of water to make sure I made it through Sunday!

Before Christmas Day, I can't remember the last time I had a drink. Probably my birthday in October.

20 years ago I would have given quite a different answer. Would have been that lot in a hour probably !

• Iris
    Beginner
    Iris ·
    • Hide content

During the working week I'll have perhaps 2 glasses of wine in total, I get up way too early to deal with hangovers. One weekend night I won't drink at all as I'll do a long run one day over the weekend. The other weekend evening I'll have about 2 glasses up to half a bottle of wine. If I'm in with friends then it'll be about a bottle of wine. A typical week though I'd say I drink less than a bottle in total. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics