Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner November 2013

How much time off did you have BEFORE your wedding?

clareio, 18 of July of 2013 at 10:02 Posted on Planning 0 37

So although i'm not getting married until November, I have been asked to book my leave now (and also I want to know how much I want to take!)

I have, at the moment, allowed for the week before the wedding off (wedding is a saturday) and a week and a half afterwards.

My mum has mentioned that I could get away with taking three days off before the wedding and still get everything done.

I know 99% of things will be sorted out before then so shouldn't have too much to do, but things like eyebrow wax/hair cut/shellac nails/dental hygenist and a couple of hours in a spa with my mum are still going to want to be in that last week...

I am also collecting my flowers in that week as they are silk.

Is there anything I have missed that will possibly need doing in that last week?

Or is 5 days off just WAY too much time to stress?

37 replies

Latest activity by emmiejune, 18 of September of 2013 at 19:08
  • C
    Beginner July 2013
    cm_ljw ·
    • Hide content

As a teacher I'm currently into my 2 weeks off before the wedding. I accept this isn't possible for most and is far more time than I need, a week would be fine.... however I'm loving the time I have to chill out, do all the final things in my own time and pamper myself a bit. It's not giving me more time to stress, I think if anything still being at work would do that. So if you can have the 5 days, I say do it! xx

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

I've currently planned to just take the day before the wedding off, although I think I will extend it 2 days, this should be hopefully enough time, I don't anticipate having that much to do (famous last words!!).

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I had one working day off and nearly had a breakdown! My man has never seen me like that and we've had some hefty external stresses in our life together!!

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

I had 5 days off work before the wedding and it was perfect. Plenty of time to chill but not too much time that I was stressing unnecessarily. We were travelling over from UK to Ireland though so we allowed time for that. Things will crop up so its good to have extra time just in case. Nothing worse than something going wrong and you're stuck at work trying to get someone to fix it for you!

• G
    Beginner May 2013
    gabi5 ·
    • Hide content

I had 3 days off, but I didn't have a lot of stuff to do - just packing, waxing (ouch!), travelling to Manchester and dropping off stuff at the venue.

So 3 days was plenty of time for me.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    clareio ·
    • Hide content

Thanks!

I think i'm going to leave it at 5 days, it leaves me with only 2 days of annual leave left but it's only 4 months away so i'm sure I can cope with that.

My mum has said she will come up the week before if i want her to, or whenever i say so I might ask her to come up on the monday or tuesday and book in a full spa day for us in that week (get waxing/nails etc done there!) I've currently organised to collect my flowers on the monday but now thinking i'll change that to when my mums here, I think OH has booked three days off so even if we just went and did a few nice non-weddingy bits I think the week off will be better, especially with work as stressful as it is at the moment)

I think i mostly dont want to have nothing to do at all on any of the days off... i'm sure I can fill them!

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

1 day. didn't see the point in any more

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I only have the day before off as I need 2 weeks after off for the honeymoon straight afterwards. I shouldn't have much to do that day, just some beauty stuff really as the venue are taking care of most of it for me, I'll just need to drop off the place cards, table plan, menus and favours, all of which I'll have made before hand.

Can anyone else think of things I may not have thought of?

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I was only planning on having 2 days off before because of going on honeymoon straight after - plus i want to save some leave for the rest of the year.

After reading all these posts im wondering if thats long enough .... ?

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I know that if I have any more than 2 or 3 days off I will just spend them pacing and over thinking. I think time goes faster when you are busy at work anyway!

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I worked about 3 hours on the Monday and Tuesday of the week before our Saturday wedding. I was running around like a headless chicken, though, because I had 2 root canal dentist appts, and I had to go to heathrow twice to pick up my mum and maid of honour, and we had various things going on in e week for family coming over from Canada and the states, so it wasn't just wedding planning. Plus we did all our fresh flowers on the Friday!

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

I can only take two days off before (and will use flexi-time to take the Weds afternoon off, so 2.5 days before!), as i'm having a week and a half off after the wedding (we're having a mini-moon plus just don't want to go straight back to work!). And then we're having a two week honeymoon in August...I have 31 days leave but next year it's not going to be enough!!!!

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

I can only take two days off before (and will use flexi-time to take the Weds afternoon off, so 2.5 days before!), as i'm having a week and a half off after the wedding (we're having a mini-moon plus just don't want to go straight back to work!). And then we're having a two week honeymoon in August...I have 31 days leave but next year it's not going to be enough!!!!

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

3 days for me. I could have managed with just the 2 tbh but it was nice to spend one day just by myself and to have a bit of a pamper and relax

• S
    Beginner October 2013
    Sarah_coxy ·
    • Hide content

I've just booked my leave for October.

3 weeks off in total (cant wait for the break from work aIone!)

Getting wed on a Thursday. I've booked off the entire week before. And 2 afterwards for the honeymoon!

I am turning 30 4 days before the wedding though and my best friend is taking me to my favourite spa in the run up Smiley smile

I can't wait! X

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

2 days before - and that includes dressing our venue ourselves (and a 2 hour stint to pick up my dress, possibly twice if the seamstress needs to alter it again as I'll have to go pick it up and take it to the dress shop to be steamed, then go back again to actually pick it up).

Wish it was longer but its all I could get. I'm off for 2 weeks afterwards for our honeymoon. Which I CANNOT wait for!!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I had 2 days off before flying out, then 2 days at the resort before the wedding. In the UK I ad very little to do, I'm not a waxing and nails sort of girl, so just had my hair recoloured and did last minute shopping and packing. When we got back I had 2 days to organise the reception, also still off work, then the day of the reception and the day after off, then went back to work. Altogether I think it was about 2.5 weeks off.

• Perox
    Beginner October 2013
    Perox ·
    • Hide content

I'm having just over 3weeks off in total-week before the wedding, and then just over two weeks after for the honeymoon! I'm mainly taking the time off though so that we can spend some time with his family and friends who are flying over-go and do all the touristy stuff in London! Not seen them for a couple of years, so want to make the most of it!

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    msmt ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't even thought about time off before wedding! We are having a 2 week honeymoon and i am self employed so no money if i don't work. Will prob even work the day before the wedding to be honest.

• Missmadgiggles
    Beginner August 2013
    Missmadgiggles ·
    • Hide content

I've got 3.5 days off before the wedding and 3 days off afterwards.... then its back to reality. However, I do have a further 3 weeks off for our honeymoon 5 weeks later :-).

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

I have booked two days before the wedding off. We are pretty organised now and only last minute things to do but my bridesmaids and mum are also off so if anything is needed they can help. I have taken just over three weeks off after the wedding though - we also dont go on honeymoon until the Wednesday (we get married the Sat) so we have a few days after the wedding to sort that out rather than with the wedding stuff

• Dinosaurs
    Beginner July 2014
    Dinosaurs ·
    • Hide content

I have no time off before the wedding and I have asked for the Monday after off so I will have to wait and see if my head teacher is feeling nice. I do get six weeks off about a week later though so can't complain too much!

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content

I am having 3 days off and will basically be picking stuff up and doing last minute jobs like putting the fudge favours into bags and having a few treatments. I was going to take 4 but dont want to take too much holiday as I may need it later on in the year.

• M
    Beginner January 1998
    MrsI2Be ·
    • Hide content

I took 2 days off before, and it worked perfectly. Wedding was on Saturday. Thursday I got my nails done with mum, sister and gran, picked up dresses and sorted out all venue decorations and table bits into boxes. On the Friday we picked up the cake, had a lovely lunch at our venue with my parents, decorated the venue and then I still had a chilled out night with my sister watching my big fat Greek wedding! I think if I'd had more time I would have found more time to get stressed out!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I'll just have two. Don't think I'll need more.

• G
    Beginner August 2013
    golden ·
    • Hide content

Last time I was married I just took the one day before. I fit all appointments BEFORE work started so I wasn't distracted. Obviously depends on your contracted hours though.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning to take two days before, but the week before we get married is a bank holiday so I'll only be working the tues and wed of that week. Hopefully should be enough and prepared to run around abit if needed. We're planning to have three weeks off for our honeymoon (if we can agree the leave) so wouldn't be able to take more time off than this anyway, and can relax once we're on honeymoon!!

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

We get married on a Friday and I will just take the Thursday off. Luckily as it falls just after Easter weekend I will already have had the Monday off and the Friday before. I'm not sure how productive I will be in work on Tuesday and Wednesday but it will keep me busy and out of trouble ?.

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

I have 4 weeks off before ( teacher alert) the week before is OHs time off work with the step kids so the mon, tues, wed of that week will be non wedding tasks then the day before will be wedding, wedding, wedding ready for the big day friday. Then I have 2 weeks after for honeymoon.

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

I am taking Mon, Tues, Wed, Thursday off and get married on the Friday, I am off Saturday & Sunday anyway and then back to work on the Monday

• T
    Beginner December 2013
    tealbutterfly27 ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married on a Sunday so I will take the Friday off and then ask my boss for the Monday off too. Again can't really complain because (teacher alert again) I'll have 2 weeks off 3 weeks later.

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I'm hoping to have a week off before (one day will be a bank hol though) and two weeks after - one for honeymoon and a week at home as Husband and Wife.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics