Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Samantha2704
Beginner July 2011

I sound like a total cow, but really need to get this off my chest

Samantha2704, 31 December, 2010 at 13:12 Posted on Planning 0 24

My OH asked me to marry him in April this year (for my birthday) we've been together 5 & a half years and have set the date for July 2011...i'm really excited and cant wait to be Mrs A....My cousin has been nosey all the way through the wedding planning, asking me how much it'll costs & we said probably around £15,000.00 altogether (we wont go any higher) and she made a sarcastic comment about it was cheap and her cousin just got married and it cost them £40,000.00!!! My OH cant stand her and basically said she just likes to be better than everyone (which i agree) shes been with her partner for 1 year & rent a house together (6 months after they got together) on Christmas day he asked her to marry him...they are actually in the process of booking there venue, which is a huge manor in our area, it'll cost thousands just to have a ceremony there...I just feel like shes trying to rub it in my face that there wedding will be a lot more expensive (more fool them)
My OH has already said there not welcome to our wedding because there the type of people that will find fault with everything and i must admit i dont want people trying to find faults with my special day... I no i sound like a total cow and over reacting but i just feel like shes going to rain on my parade!

No need to respond just glad i got it off my chest!

24 replies

Latest activity by Samantha2704, 2 January, 2011 at 16:20
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I think she is being very rude! What does it matter what it costs!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I know it's easy for me to say, but please try not to worry, your day will be amazing regardless and if you think she is going to be there with a face like a smacked bottom critising everything i'd agree - don't invite her.

I regularly remind my mom it's not about what you spend but how you spend it - some people can pay a lot of money for things and have it looking cheap while others can spend nothing and yet make it look fabulous (I hope LauraSJ doesn't mind me saying, but check out her homemade sweetie buffet pics! Amazing).

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls, just really needed to express how i felt on the subject, i've been moaning about it all morning to my OH who has moaned back about it so think we've probably wound eachother up even more....

Kayl i will deffo be looking at the homemade sweetie buffet by LauraSJ! my mums dying to have one at the wedding but we got a quote for around £150!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

We will all happily rally round and slap your cousin if you wish?

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She is a very rude person, she doesnt think when she says things...as soon as she asked me on FB how much it was going to costs my OH went mad at her and basically told her to mind her own business!

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd love to see that hehehe!!!! ?

• *Nursey*
    Beginner May 2012
    *Nursey* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

She better not come on here, with that attitude she won't be treated nicely!!

Your budget is more than enough. It's more than mine is, and more than plenty of others on here. I agree that it's not how much you spend but how you spend it

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Us hitchers stick together - tell the nosey old bint to mind her own... we've got your back!

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WTS with bells on. Your budget is not important, what you want from your wedding is!! Relish the knowledge that she'll probably be miserable if money is all that's really imprtant to her.

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

Shes only just turned 18 to! it just feels like shes trying to rush it! and its true money does seem to be the main factor in her life, shes not happy unless shes got everything!

I'm glad i have you girls to keep me sain! i dont want to enter 2011 in a straight jacket lol xxx

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like someone had their head up their backsides, it doesn't matter how much it costs

The bit where your marrying the man of your dreams is soo much bigger than her price tag, besides she's only been with her fella for 5 minutes so if her marriage breaks down for what ever reason more fool her for spending that amount of money!

Best of luck and just remember who your marrying and everything else...well doesn't seem that important after all in the grand scheme of things!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This girl needs to sort her priorities out!!!

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

Excuse the bluntness of this mail but she sounds like a complete and utter *** FROM HELL!

Further more, if money is soooooooo important to her she'll not have a happy marriage. It's pathetic! don't tell her any more about your day!

Also bragging (cos thats what it is) that she'll be spending £40k or whatever is ridiculous, she wont be envied, she'll be ridiculed for spending that amount before considering long term home etc etc. Also, money is no compensation for happiness and maybe she cant deal with how happy and contented you are and the only thing she can hit you with is £ notes!!!!!!!!!!!

Whether you spend £40k or £200 on a wedding licence in Gretna Green! The wedding is not as important as the marriage! Revel in the fact that you are and your marriage is worth far more than her poultry £40k LOL!

all the above is the philosophical part of me, the rise above it part! the other half of me says slap the B!tc# about the face and say no more! LOL!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WTS - How rude - just showing that she is a silly little girl!! Dont listen to her about the money, it's none of her business how much you will be spending - tell her to butt out!!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

That is so rude, and very shallow. I genuinely pity people who only care about money, its quite sad really as there's so much more to life (e.g. marrying the person you love!). Hopefully one day she'll sort her priorities out... But in the meantime I would definitely be crossing her name off the guest list if it was me! (As long as it didn't cause some kind of family argument). Agree completely with what everyone else has said...

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

I will rise above it now, i just needed to get it off my chest and i agree im saying no more about the wedding on FB (my friends are probably bored anyway) i've flashed on here a few times and i just looked back at it and thought, "you kno what, our wedding will be perfect we dont need everything!" its true, if my parents gave me 40k i'd be putting a deposit on a house which is more important! i just want to live happily ever after and i think not inviting her to the wedding will help me enjoy it without over hearing her moan about everything!

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

And actually samantha speaking of me personally, I WOULD still invite her, because you will have cooing and oohing and ahhhhing all over you on your day and she'll spend the whole day envying what you've done and because of the person she sounds, she will be stressing herself out to out do you or to better what you do - all pressure I've no doubt the brat will crumble under! then sit back and bask in glory when she tries to copy you or asks for your help! Smiley smile

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahhhh i like your thinking Natalie....i may just do that!

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

You know what they say....money cant buy class and it sounds like she has none!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Would love to know what she thinks of our wedding, your budget is 3 times mine!

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

Its only a big budget because we have such a big family and my dad wants everyone their :-D

I'd of been just as happy to go to the registry office and just have our parents there x

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

I have a 5K budget and am well under it at the moment. As others have said your day will be just that your day. I would stop talking to her about your ideas/ suppliers/ budget etc as it will just wind you up. She is very young and in my opinion is rushing into something which at 18 I dont think I fully understood to be honest, even now the magnitude of marrying my OH frightens me.

My brother is financially much better off than me and OH (this is in no way slagging him off that is just a fact - he worked hard for it so fair play to him). When he got married the day cost in the region of 75K. Yes it is an amazing amount of money and I personally counldnt justify spending it, but they could afford it and it was an amazing and beautiful day. Skip forward a couple of years and you have me planning my day with a 15th of that!! However I know my day will be wonderful, I am not scrimping, I have hand made many thing sot keep the cost down and I know that my wedding will be gorgeous. To begin with i was worried how it would compare - now I just want the day to get here so I can be Mrs L. I really would not worry about your sister, and am sure once you start to get closer to your day you will find yourself thinking less about her and her wedding. In the mean time good luck and as others have said any time you need a moan/ rant hitched is here for you.

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this statement.

But if she's only 18 maybe she'll eventually grow up and realise she's just being really imature and will start understanding the value of money and how hard and expensive it is to live in the real world, mortgage kids etc. Yes having the wedding of yor dreams is important, but is it important enough to get up to your eyeballs in debt and struggle for the next 20 years trying to pay that off aswell as a mortgage? It adds un-necessary pressure to a relationship.

If the couple have endless amounts of money to spend on their wedding then thats fine, but they shouldn't turn their noses up at people who spend a lot less. £15K is more than enough for a wedding. I'm hoping to only spend £10k (though this is creeping up to £12K!) and I personally think that's more than enough for me. My Uncle married and spent £4k and their day was absolutely lovely, and it was what they wanted!!

Try and ignore her comments, and keep your ideas of your wedding to yourself. Because I bet even if she outwardly slags off your ideas and budget, I bet she's keeping mental notes and will use some of them herself!!

If ignoring her doesn't work, delete her from FB!!

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

She sounds like a spoilt brat! Will her family be paying for her wedding because at 18 not many people will have the ready cash for an expensive wedding. Good luck to her (said in a scarcastic tone) because with the attitude she has she'll need it!

I'd just ignore her and not discuss wedding planning with her but I wouldn't lower yourself not to invite her because she is your cousin after all and not inviting her might cause family arguements and questions asked about your reasons for not inviting her. x

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

Her parents have split up and i know it probably doesnt work with everyones families when they split but her parents are forever trying to better eachother...her mum buys her something then her dad buys her something 2 times as much.

she is a spoilt little brat and now i've had a couple of days to chill out and enjoy the new year i've just come to the conclusion that money doesnt bring you happiness, i already knew that but sometimes you easily forget it! i'm not going to say anymore to her or say on FB anything wedding related i've got you lovely ladies to talk to and of course my parents and BM etc

Thank You everyone for just letting me have a moan and thankfully your all on my side and not telling me to grow up and stop been silly!! hehe xxxxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics