Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

*JLS*
Beginner July 2012

Ice Cream Vans

*JLS*, 7 July, 2011 at 18:53 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

Me and OH were contemplating about these the other day, where we are in Northampton you can only buy ice cream from the van, but when we lived in Scotland an ice cream van used to stock everything!! Juice, crisps, penny sweets, cigarettes, bread, and milk - even ladies things!! It was like a mobile shop and was excellent during the evening and saved you having to go to the shop ?

My question to you, are all ice cream vans the same in England i.e. only ice cream or does it vary in each county? Also is there a law that restricts vans in England from selling other items?

If there is no law, I think I may start my own one and make a fortune ?

14 replies

Latest activity by lamby, 8 July, 2011 at 12:00
  • *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

They were great, we can't understand why they don't do that down here!!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

The ice cream vans round here only sell ice creams & lollies etc. Would love to see their face if I asked for some tampax!!

• LuLu_x
    Beginner May 2012
    LuLu_x ·
    • Hide content

Lol i didnt know that! i thought all ice cream vans sold everything! Can tell i dont leave scotland much!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

My OH used to work in a van in Paisley and he said that is was great fun. I'm sure you could even get toilet rolls and you could get a single cigarette Smiley smile

• LuLu_x
    Beginner May 2012
    LuLu_x ·
    • Hide content

Im not far from paisley, in greenock. i remeber the single cigarettes think it was 20p for 1! prob be about £2 for 1 now tho! did you call it the Tally van? or is that a greenock thing!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I think we used to call it the "icey".

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm in Northumberland, don't personally remember them but i remember being told they used to sell sweets and fags not sure about the tampax though. I have friends who live more out in the sticks who have a chip van round on a Friday, sounds like a good idea to me mmmm

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Our ice cream vans only sell ice cream! Blooming expensive Ice Cream at that.

Whilst we are on the "diffirent in Scotland" idea- can you still take glass bottles back to the shop and get 20p for them. Went to Cupar once in Fife and was genuinley amazed at this practice!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I think if I remember rightly it's about 50p per bottle - but I think it's because it's more expensive to buy the juice now ?

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Vm,yep you can still take the glass bottles back. Our ice cream van used to sell everything as well. Not so much these days. We used to have two parked outside the high school and you could buy your single cigs from it.

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Like Lulu I assumed everybody's ice cream vans sold bread, milk and ciggies. And I have heard it called the Tally van, although only a couple of years ago when my brother's mate used the phrase and it took me a good ten minutes to work out that he hadn't said the Taliban was outside. His enunciation was not the best.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Ours used to sell pop and sweets but not bogroll or tampons!?

I bought 3 ice-creams in Stratford recently and it cost me about £8. I thought it would be about £3. It has been a long time since I bought owt off the Ice-Cream man. I had one at my hen though Smiley smile

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

When I grew up in the 70's and early 80's ours used to sell ice cream, sweets, pop and Hot dogs!

but definately nothing else household

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

My Dad was an ice cream man! when he did 'the rounds' he used to sell pop, but when he had his pitch, at a regular place, we only sold ice creams and lollys as it would have peed off the other business', such as the cafe if we also sold drinks.

Never heard of household items, though there was a 'rival van' who got busted selling cannabis out of her van. Shocker in the ice cream community!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics