Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

SassyT
Beginner August 2013

Ironing!

SassyT, 13 January, 2012 at 16:07 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 42

Are there certain items you do, or don't iron?

h2b refuses to iron the duvet covers but I have to, they must be ironed!

I don't iron PJ's, well I do now thanks to H2Bs insistence but never used to

Best friend irons towels

MIL2B irons socks and undies

42 replies

Latest activity by Pinky6, 16 January, 2012 at 00:17
  • Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content

Why on earth would you iron any of those?!

I iron as little as possible. Fact!

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i dont iron anything! its the one chore i just hate with a passion!! if i Do try, il do one thing and be so angry!!

Mr F irons towels, bedding, everything!

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

As little as I can get away with whilst still looking groomed. So shirts (mine and his) and anything that needs a good flattening.

Bedlinen-wise, pillowcases only. All my washing is line dried so the wind usually blows most of the creases out.

If you iron towels, surely the flattening of the loops will make them less absorbent?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I iron clothes that need ironing, as and when I need them.

I like the feel of ironed bedsheets but no way I am spending hours doing it!!!

My mum irons everything... and I mean everything!!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Errrr ? I outsource my clothes ironing

dont iron bedsheets (would love to tho) but in summer put out to dry agree re creases, dont iron towels etc

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Do iron: Nothing.

Don't iron: Anything.

• lamby
    Beginner August 2010
    lamby ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe you irons duvet covers and pjs and that your friend irons towels! What a terrible waste of life ?

The only things I iron are summer dresses, that really need it, everything else I find I can get away with, and the creases drop out of a lot of things upon hanging! I do wear mostly leggings, jeans, dresses and jumpers though.

H irons his work shirts and his hankys - yes, he uses hankys ?

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I don't iron bedding, tea towels (unless they are pretty new ones) or underwear!!

Just spent an hour ironing so I wouldn't want to spend any longer doing all them extra bits.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I only iron shirts or dresses for work that need it. I try and buy things that will come out of the wash uncreased!

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

but I wouldn't Enterflora - that was the point I was making - why would anyone iron towels??

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This! I started off just ironing things that really needed it and now I'm at the stage where I won't even buy it if it's a creasy type material! If you hang it up right to dry then theres little need even for OH's shirts - we have over door hanger things so I can hang his shirts up to dry!

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

I only iron clothing when it needs it and try to do as little as possible. This is much to my Mum's dismay as she thinks everything should be ironed. But then, she enjoys it and I don't.

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

We have a tumble dryer so virtually nothing ever needs ironed. If something comes out the wardrobe that looks like it could use a bit of a going over I'll grudgingly do it but I think the last thing my iron was used for was getting spilled wax off the coffee table from when I blew a candle out a bit too enthusiastically.

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This exactly!!

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I can't remember the last time I used the iron. I'm a shove on the tumble dryer and hope for the best kinda gal. H uses the iron more than me.

Why on earth would someone iron towels? The fluffier the better!

• McSquirtle
    Beginner June 2011
    McSquirtle ·
    • Hide content

I don't iron a thing. If H has a shirt that is particularly creased he knows he'll have to do it himself as I just get my hair off! I use the tumble dryer a lot but drying on the line reduces the creases better. Although if you fold thick items after a wash but before it starts drying they come out much less crumpled ?

• NewYearRose
    Beginner December 2012
    NewYearRose ·
    • Hide content

Don't iron: towels, bedding, underwear, jeans

Iron: everything else

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Erm I don't iron. I think it's a waste of time. I fold straight away out washer/airerband they're fine. If it's a nice dress or something that blatantly needs ironing I will. Or get H to do it. He is amaze at ironing as he has to do his kit for work. Muwahaha

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content

Haven't ironed for years. Generally tend to buy things that won't need ironing. Every few months my OH takes all his shirts into the local ironing shops - then they last a a few months before needing to be done again.

We do take the trouble to get everything out of the washing machine and hung up straight away, and this helps.

Never did see the point of ironing bedding, especially poly-cotton sheets and things. I've never heard of ironing towels - I would have thought it would make them like cardboard, and they don't seem to crease anyway!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

I don't iron, I don't even own and ironing board.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Nope dont bother unless really neccessary ie cotton things like summer dresses and H's shirts(he does them himself)

Everything is hung on hangers wet straight from washing machine and shaken vigourously which kinda gives it its shape back. I find this is enough. I do give my bedding to my mum to iron though. She moaned at me once for having creases beds so I told her I was never going to iron a quilt cover, she insisted I gave them to her from there on in! *hangs head in shame*

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I Hate ironing!!! Last weekend I spent 2 hours doing the biggest pile after our christmas break away. I don't iron underwear,bedding or towels but iron nearly everything else.

My nana irons socks and towels, why????!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I iron everything except undies and tea towels or bath towels. You just can't beat crisp ironed sheets and quilt covers. I tumble dry someclothes but they still need ironing in my eyes.

I just pick a quiet time of the day put on a dvd and before I know it it is all done, I just hate putting it all away.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

It's much easier for me to list what I don't iron - which is my underwear and one specific jersey dress which doesn't need to be ironed and most socks..

I spend a maximum of an hour a week ironing, and it's usually in front of Eastenders / some other junk TV. So perhaps I just do it rather quickly which makes it such a small effort that I get on with it? Generally the alternative to ironing is sitting on my ass watching tele as opposite to standing ironing watching it..

That said, as i've said on here before, I am obsessed with ironing and a bit of a snob about it if I am honest - very mean of me I know.

MissusS - I do hope your dinner dress will be ironed for Friday?! ? I shall be inspecting...... ?

I also agree with JoJo - ironed bedding is awesome and always high on the list of "little luxuries" that my H requests after weeks living in a tent on excercise etc.

@ Those who never iron - does this mean you never wear Linen trousers/skirts/dresses in the summer??

• Little Miss Tweety
    Beginner August 2012
    Little Miss Tweety ·
    • Hide content

I dont iron at all (well only if i really really really have to). My h2b does the ironing in our house, so much so that my 2 boys gave me a row when i pulled the iron out to iron a pair of jeans a few months ago and told me it was 'Daddy's toys'!

Who am i 2 argue?

• l0vaduck
    Beginner April 2008
    l0vaduck ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, never. I don't see the point: you iron it, put it on, sit down, and it needs ironing again. Also feels really warm on, to me. Very overrated.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I am literally the laziest ironer (is that a word?) ever.

I was feeling particularly lazy before work this morning so didn't bother ironing my top, hoping it would be cool enough to keep my jacket on all day. It got really warm but had to keep my jacket on. Serves my lazy ass right though I suppose!

I'd never iron bedding, towels, socks or underwear.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

You really wouldn't iron linen? ?

I think the crease marks from wearing linen look very different to the crease marks which appear post wash. I've even been known to make H take his Linens off mid-day to iron them pre-going out.. ? I am weirdly obsessed... Sad sad times! ?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

LM- maybe we should live like the other fo a week, might help your obsession and my lack of ? and re: the dress, il see if it needs it and get H to do it tonight before he goes away muwahahah

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

Our ironing board comes out only a handful of times a year. Neither of us wear shirts to work. We always hang our clothes up as soon as they are washed so most of the creases fall out. If it's really bad then we would iron them. If we have to be smart for any reason and wear a shirt, then they get ironed, but OH wears t-shirts to work and I hate shirts! I used to iron my bedding at uni (wierdly) and then realised it was a waste of time, IMO. My mum not only irons towels, but tea towels too! I also find that when I iron, my feet get really hot. I can't wear slippers or socks if I do ever iron! No idea why, I must be a freak!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Missus S - I don't think i've got it in me to stop ironing now! I would think people were judging me all the time. I've just finished drying a load of clothes now so going to try on a jumper just to see what it would look like on unironed... Just to see if it is as bad as I imagine... ?

Another thing which my friends laugh at (don't know if you noticed this Missus S) is that I have to iron my little Liz Earle muslims too - they get folded into little squares and stacked up looking all pretty in the bathroom, as do my towels... It's all in the detail in this house... ?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Dear lord! Start little, as soon as dryer has stopped fold or hang one item, then wear it tomor. Then I will iron my dress especially for you ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics