Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharv
Beginner March 2012

KHARV'S WEDDING REPORT - 24th March 2012

kharv, 2 of May of 2012 at 20:03

Posted on Planning 123

I hope you don't mind a little indulgence on my part. This report is a bit flash heavy and my writing style is no where near as eloquent as some (Cricks - you've ruined it for the rest of us ?), but I've really enjoyed reliving my day. Thanks to all on hitched who helped throughout the planning -...

I hope you don't mind a little indulgence on my part. This report is a bit flash heavy and my writing style is no where near as eloquent as some (Cricks - you've ruined it for the rest of us ?), but I've really enjoyed reliving my day. Thanks to all on hitched who helped throughout the planning - you were stars.

Background...

The husband and I met way back in 2001 – our first year at university. We started seeing each other early in 2002. Fast forward ten years, a very small house, a crazy dog and a very lovely proposal later and here we are!

We chose Harlaxton Manor near Grantham as our wedding venue. A gorgeous place that is now the English campus of the University of Evansville, US.

The weeks before...

I, rather stupidly, decided to make an awful lot of the wedding stuff myself. So the weeks before were spent folding, trimming and embossing orders of service, painting wooden cake toppers, bagging scrabble names and printing the table plan on to see through acetate among other things. I finished work on Thursday lunchtime.

My mam had very kindly offered to make our wedding cake and chocolate favours so her week before the wedding was a bit stressful too. Bless her.

Friday 23rd March 2012...

We headed to our venue at about 3pm to set up. We had the dog with us as husband would be dropping him at the kennels later that day. The first thing to do was to drop the wine and champagne with the venue kitchen. As husband and I were doing this I heard him shout – the dog had managed to escape from the car and was tearing across the perfect lawn. I’d forgotten to wind the window up. Whoops.

The afternoon was dubbed ‘Harvey’s sweat shop’ with my lovely bridesmaids forming an assembly line to bag the chocolate favours my mam had made, my dad pouring sand and adding tea lights into 55 jars for the centrepieces, and my mam and I setting out the scrabble place names, menus, table names and orders of the day. I’m so happy I decided to hire chairs rather than chair covers – I think they looked fab with the venue.

The efficient, honey bee like atmosphere to the afternoon was only marred by the fact that we found out the cake was stuck in a traffic jam. The cake that my mam had lovingly made and iced. In butter cream. It was one of the hottest days of the year. There wasn’t much we could do though so we plodded on.

We had a reservation to meet husband and his parents and sister etc for dinner at 6pm and were finished at the venue just in time. The cake still hadn’t arrived.

Absent cake finally arrived with my uncle (the cake courier) at 7pm and was rushed straight to the venue for emergency medical treatment. It was rather melty. It looked fantastic on the day though.

As a lot of my family live in Newcastle and Kent, most of them decided to stay in the hotel on Friday as well. Friday night was fantastic. It was like a lovely, relaxed pre-celebration in the hotel bar.

Me and Bridesmaid EO took ourselves off to bed at midnight, leaving husband, father, FIL, best man no1 and bridesmaid MB up. We tried to sleep but it wasn’t helped by MB knocking on the bedroom door three times with excitement. Got to sleep about 1am.

123 replies

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report and a gorgeous dress. Enjoy married life.

• warlycarly
    Beginner September 2012
    warlycarly ·
    • Hide content

What an amazing report, you looked fantastic. I got all teary eyed, I could tell how proud your dad was... amazing.xx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Amezzin'

Love your photographs, really beautiful...!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Fab report, with gorgeous pics.

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

Truly Stunning Kharv! lovely report and one of my favourites of the year - the dress is definately a show stopper!

Photos and Video are just beautiful - what wonderful lasting memories x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for all of your lovely comments - put a reet big smile on my face!

• SassyT
    Beginner August 2013
    SassyT ·
    • Hide content

Mrs Kharv!

Your report gave me goosebumps!

I've been arguing with myself back and forth about VOGs, only yesterday I decided 'nope, save the cash' now after watching yours I've found myself googling for them!

You and your day looked simply amazing!

• L
    Beginner July 2013
    LouLaBellexx ·
    • Hide content

Your day looks stunning!

Where were your bridesmaids dresses from? xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cheers! Bridesmaids were my bargain from Rise. http://www.risefashion.co.uk/

Someone also asked where the wedding dress was from - that's Justin Alexander.

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

This is really lovely, I was crying by the end Smiley smile

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report! Your pics are stunning! Love the ones of your dad coming in to meet you. Congratulations and best wishes for a long and happy married life x

• L
    Beginner July 2013
    LouLaBellexx ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! are they the ones called Alexia? Did you change the ribbons? xx

• quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

Wow that report was wonderful!

You look amazing!

• Jules73
    Beginner August 2012
    Jules73 ·
    • Hide content

Beautifully written report, everything looked perfect! Loved your dress, cake,venue, flowers, hair, I could go on and on !!!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did yes - I bought grey Berisford's Ribbon to match the BM shoes. It is the Alexia.

• Sparkly Bride
    Beginner August 2012
    Sparkly Bride ·
    • Hide content

This is a beautiful report Kharv. The picture of your dad giving you away says it all. He looks so proud and the words your husband said at your last dance made me fill up. All the best for a wonderful marriage x

• GothBella
    Beginner December 2013
    GothBella ·
    • Hide content

Looks like you had an amazing day. Your photos are lovely

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Kharv you are absolutely beautiful! Your photos are just breathtaking and the happiness is almost palpable. Im a wee bit choked up after reading your report!

• Tracey86
    Beginner October 2012
    Tracey86 ·
    • Hide content

Aww such a lovely report! Congratulations Kharv, everything looked perfect!

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

Oh Kharv, it all looks amazing. I am delighted you had a wonderful & perfect day. I am as proud as punch mwah x

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

What an amazing day you looked stunning that dress was designed for you, although as someone else said I imagined you with brown hair ! Thank you for sharing your day but don't go away us Brides2B still need your help and great advice!

• *AJS*
    Beginner December 2012
    *AJS* ·
    • Hide content

Wow great report! You looked stunning and your day looked perfect x x

• Cakeycase
    Beginner December 2012
    Cakeycase ·
    • Hide content

Wow.....Stunning venue, and of course a stunning bride ?

What a perfect day - Thank you for sharing!!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

You look amazing . So nice to see how happy you both look . You did indeed rock the dress !

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Wow! gorgeous wedding - all of it, just stunning.

As it happens a friend of mine has just got a job for that uni and will be living in your venue!!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

How did I miss this? Gorgeous! Everything is just beautiful. Congratulations Kharv.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow lucky him/her! It really is the most fantastic place.

• Y
    Beginner November 2012
    yorkshirecat1981 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, a fantastic report and wonderful photos - you look stunning!

Might steal your speech format as we have a very nervous FOB and Groom who would like the whole thing to be over already, but i think the BM and Best Woman might like people to be a bit more "lubricated" before they take the stand so might see if they are up for this - also breaks it up a bit!

Hope you are loving married life!

x

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Yorkshirecat, it worked well for us. And, like us, you're having four speeches - I think it's important to break them up a bit. No guest is going to give their full attention to four speeches in a row while their tummies are rumbling! If the best man and woman don't mind waiting then it's a good option.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe I didn't spot this when you originally posted it! It looks amazing, I'm so glad you had a wonderful day. ?

• JuliaTaff
    Beginner May 2013
    JuliaTaff ·
    • Hide content

Wow!! Just stumbled across this report after you commented on someone else's post - one word - stunning!! Such a lovely vintage theme!! Just wondered - where did you get the scrabble trays and letters from - fab idea and I love the thought of your guests rearranging the letters into naughty sentences!! Also - you said you hired the chairs - where were they from and do you remember how much they cost? The whole wedding looks beautiful including you! :o) xxx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Julia. Smiley smile

The scrabble trays were actually cut down beading from Wickes. I think it was this one but I would suggest trying it out: https://www.wickes.co.uk/pine-decorative-moulding-85x21x2400mm/p/162698/

I've just answered a question about the tiles here: https://www.hitched.co.uk/chat/forums/t/316798.aspx

Chairs were from here: https://www.sherwoodhire.co.uk/marquees/

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics