Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

kharv
Beginner March 2012

KHARV'S WEDDING REPORT - 24th March 2012

kharv, 2 of May of 2012 at 20:03

Posted on Planning 123

I hope you don't mind a little indulgence on my part. This report is a bit flash heavy and my writing style is no where near as eloquent as some (Cricks - you've ruined it for the rest of us ?), but I've really enjoyed reliving my day. Thanks to all on hitched who helped throughout the planning -...

I hope you don't mind a little indulgence on my part. This report is a bit flash heavy and my writing style is no where near as eloquent as some (Cricks - you've ruined it for the rest of us ?), but I've really enjoyed reliving my day. Thanks to all on hitched who helped throughout the planning - you were stars.

Background...

The husband and I met way back in 2001 – our first year at university. We started seeing each other early in 2002. Fast forward ten years, a very small house, a crazy dog and a very lovely proposal later and here we are!

We chose Harlaxton Manor near Grantham as our wedding venue. A gorgeous place that is now the English campus of the University of Evansville, US.

The weeks before...

I, rather stupidly, decided to make an awful lot of the wedding stuff myself. So the weeks before were spent folding, trimming and embossing orders of service, painting wooden cake toppers, bagging scrabble names and printing the table plan on to see through acetate among other things. I finished work on Thursday lunchtime.

My mam had very kindly offered to make our wedding cake and chocolate favours so her week before the wedding was a bit stressful too. Bless her.

Friday 23rd March 2012...

We headed to our venue at about 3pm to set up. We had the dog with us as husband would be dropping him at the kennels later that day. The first thing to do was to drop the wine and champagne with the venue kitchen. As husband and I were doing this I heard him shout – the dog had managed to escape from the car and was tearing across the perfect lawn. I’d forgotten to wind the window up. Whoops.

The afternoon was dubbed ‘Harvey’s sweat shop’ with my lovely bridesmaids forming an assembly line to bag the chocolate favours my mam had made, my dad pouring sand and adding tea lights into 55 jars for the centrepieces, and my mam and I setting out the scrabble place names, menus, table names and orders of the day. I’m so happy I decided to hire chairs rather than chair covers – I think they looked fab with the venue.

The efficient, honey bee like atmosphere to the afternoon was only marred by the fact that we found out the cake was stuck in a traffic jam. The cake that my mam had lovingly made and iced. In butter cream. It was one of the hottest days of the year. There wasn’t much we could do though so we plodded on.

We had a reservation to meet husband and his parents and sister etc for dinner at 6pm and were finished at the venue just in time. The cake still hadn’t arrived.

Absent cake finally arrived with my uncle (the cake courier) at 7pm and was rushed straight to the venue for emergency medical treatment. It was rather melty. It looked fantastic on the day though.

As a lot of my family live in Newcastle and Kent, most of them decided to stay in the hotel on Friday as well. Friday night was fantastic. It was like a lovely, relaxed pre-celebration in the hotel bar.

Me and Bridesmaid EO took ourselves off to bed at midnight, leaving husband, father, FIL, best man no1 and bridesmaid MB up. We tried to sleep but it wasn’t helped by MB knocking on the bedroom door three times with excitement. Got to sleep about 1am.

123 replies

• NovBride13
    Beginner September 2013
    NovBride13 ·
    • Hide content

By far the best report I've read. Looks like you had an amazing day and you looked BEAUTIFUL! Love the photo of you beaming up S. I cannot wait to get married!!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Oh hello wedding report! Haven't seen you in a while!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I read it again when it reappeared on the first page.

I still swoon at it all.

On a sort of related note Kharv, what are you doing with all your scrabble tiles? Did people keep them?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A lot of people kept them. I still have quite a lot of scrabble tiles leftover though. I imagine they'll go in the loft! Do you need some?

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Some reports just never get boring ❤️

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm happy to buy them off you, if you wanted to make some of the money back you paid for them?

• Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

I feel like a Kharv stalker, what with the wedding report and the video! Read it again, cried again! Stop bumping dammit! Now I'm going to have to watch the vid again!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'll have a look to see what I've got left if you like Kirst? Might not get to it over the next couple of days though?

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that'd be stonking if you don't mind? No rush...I've got as long as it says on my ticker ?

• karenanne229
    Beginner October 2013
    karenanne229 ·
    • Hide content

Hello

Wow this was such a beautiful wedding!! Amazing and brilliant ideas. Love love love the necklace your hubby bought you.

Had to log on at home as for some reason couldn't see your piccies

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Great report and gorgeous photos!!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thanks everyone!

Kirst - I'll dig them out over the next couple of weeks and do an alphabet count. Smiley smile

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will also look at my spreadsheet (as suggested by your lovely self) and see what significantly I am missing.

Fanks Kharvo ?

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Missed this when it was first posted, the dress and the cake are so pretty. I had tears in my eyes until the wasp,which made me burst out laughing ! There are ALWAYS wasps at weddings ! Then the bit about your dad got me going again *sniff* . it all looked so lovely x tissues please !

• M
    Marysmsmt ·
    • Hide content

Kharv, I love it all, you looked amazing!! I welled up a bit! Lots of love in them pics!

Where is your AMAZING dress from please?!

Omg at the wasp. Worst phobia. Genuinely feel sick at the thought of it! Pleeeeeeeeeeeeease god-or-whoever never let that happen to me cos i'd TOTALLY run away down the aisle lol, everyone would think I was doing a runner!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Every time I see has been bumped I can't help but have a little stalk read.

That dress is a Justin Alexander beaut.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I have a little confession.

I made myself watch your wedding video (I usually find them a bit cringey) and I was actually a little teary at the end which is quite an achievement.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Twoherts - it's Justin Alexander Smiley smile

It did take a lot not to run away from the wasp - I think the only reason I didn't was because I was frozen with fear!

Kirst - I PROMISE I'm going to the attic this weekend for the Christmas decorations so will get the scrabble letters down! I'm a useless cow.

Funky - I can't lie that this makes me happy.

Missrae - full video here: https://vimeo.com/44607053

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I really enjoyed your report Kharv, thanks for sharing....beautiful!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

don't be silly...you've got Love on Top *** to do.

You have a whole ten months!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics