Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

soon2bmrsRB
Beginner May 2013

making your own invites?

soon2bmrsRB, 3 February, 2012 at 17:54 Posted on Planning 0 22

Ive been getting some prices and its coming up in the hundreds so was thinking to make my own, is there a special card that i need to buy and if so whats it called and please can i have any tips as havent been very creative in about 15 years ?

22 replies

Latest activity by WoozySoozy, 4 February, 2012 at 21:15
  • Zoexx
    Beginner July 2012
    Zoexx ·
    • Hide content

I made my own and if I could turn back time I wouldn't do it again! It took me weeks to get them done and I am so impatient so most of them are wonky :0) lucky for me I'm not a perfectionist so I don't care ha ha.

I would say keep them simple and don't buy expensive materials e.g. I bought ribbon with pearls on and I never had enough of it and it wasn't cheap!. I just used normal card.

• honeysparkle
    Beginner June 2012
    honeysparkle ·
    • Hide content

Hi, i'm making mine.

pdacardandcraft.co.uk/ is good. but like pp keep it simple cause it can take ages if you've got 10's/100's of guests x

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Ok great thanks!! i figure if i start now i should be finshed by next may lol

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

And how about the writing inside?

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

I am making my own, and have started to buy in all the materials now, as soon as everything is in ill start making them. I like arty fart stuff so I am sure I will be just fine with patience.

I am having a vintage rose theme so I brought cream cards and then I brought resin cameos with a rose on, Lace tape (which is basically lace with a sticky back) lace flower frills to decorate and mulberry tissue paper and card inserts for inside. Enough to make 50 separate invitations has so far come to £40, I am not sure how it will all come together in the end so until I like the design I am sure I will pick up more bits and pops a long the way and even will be printing some vintage roses on rustic paper, maybe even luggage tags, to cut out and collage on the front of the invite slightly under the lace... its ll in my head just need to put it to paper lol

• bexybexy
    Beginner June 2018
    bexybexy ·
    • Hide content

I made my own too...bought c5 ivory cards from the range...(they have lots of good stuff there)...luckily my friends mum has a diecut machine and she cut me out lots of lovely butterflies..i got pearl diamantes from ebay and stuck them on...the inserts are printed off my pc and stuck in the middle...

Then i got all the girls round for a saturday coffee morning...supplied cake and cofee and got a prioduction line going..they were done in no time!

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Oh brill ive just looked on the that website and il get the gatefold(opens both sides) cards and im going to tie baby pink ribbon around it on pearl like card if you get my drift so its simple but pretty

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I was going to make my own including the printing at home. It depends how complex your invite is, if you have pocketfolds with inserts, if you want double sided printing etc, but I found it looked much more professional to have the printing done professionally, then decorate them myself.

I too used PDA card & craft as they had the largest range of cards, colours, envelopes etc I could find. They printed on the inserts for our pocketfolds, but I glued them & the envelopes together, added ribbon, a diamante buckle, hole punched the corners & basically put them all together.

Our local hobbycraft have regular days where they will demonstrate card making, so check where you live if they do the same. I'm very crafty, but even just doing 50 invites, I was over making them in the end, & I didnt even do them all from scratch!

• L
    Beginner August 2012
    Lillibet ·
    • Hide content

We're making our own too, another recommendation for PDA here. They've got a brilliant range of colours and styles of card and paper. Haven't got a flash I'm afraid, but works out at 60p an invite (inc envelope) so its pretty good! Just doing a simple book invite, and ordered RSVP postcards free from good old Vistaprint for people to send back.

OH seems to think he can get 60 invites made in a day ? Hehe, think thats a bit ambitious myself but humouring him with the challenge! They're all designed, just need some tweaking to the text and to be honest this is the most time consuming bit (fonts, pictures, embellishments etc).

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I'm making ours, Opalescent White card from Colemans (local craft shop to me), pale Ivory dress so this went best, having ribbon though the middle of the card so it runs inside to hold the RSVP and venue bits, wording for the front are stickers and stick on gem hearts. Printing my own wording inside. So far spent £40 but have Day & Evening Invites, RSVP cards, Table Plan, Menus and place cards for that - just need to by my ribbon and crack on. CBM has said she'll come and help so a bottle of wine and we'll be off! I had £100 budget for the lot and think it is more personal and it gives me something to do!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I made ours - using card from PDA card and craft. You can order single pieces too if you want to have a play and test your printer before you start. The ribbon was from ebay - a seller called Lardystick.

We bought the pocketfolds and I laid out the insert information in powerpoint so that it could be printed onto A4 card and cut out with as little wastage as possible. It was much simpler than it sounds! It was easier than trying to print onto pre-cut inserts.

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

Mrs C your invitations are beautiful! Where did you buy your pocketfold cards from? I'm making our invitations too but sourcing the card stock and embellishments for a good price is proving hard.

Xx

• tonileehall
    Beginner August 2012
    tonileehall ·
    • Hide content

I made ours too. Got the main part printed on vista print very cheaply and then made the puter part myself. Just bought normal card off ebay, folded them up, stuck the vista print invite in and tied with a ribbon. Used a stamp on the front and decorated with heats and diamontes. Also used a peg for the name.

ps think it may be my picture, cant remember <<<<<<<<<<<<<,

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Shelley - they were from PDA Card and Craft - Square pocketfold 140mm x 140mm in Cryogen.

Cryogen isnt pearlescent, has more of a subtle glittery sparkle to it.

• **Shelley**
    Beginner October 2012
    **Shelley** ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. I'm checking out the website now. Really helpful ?.

Xx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

No worries, they also sell sample cards so you can choose colours and finishes...

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

I got my card from PDA too, mine was just the plain 'colourplan' as it was the only pink card they did. All the other bits and bobs I got from ebay.

Here's mine

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Wow those invites are brillant they look so proffessional!!! lots of good tips!!!

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Ive just oreder 1 each of a few too get some ideas as its hard to see what their like cant wait for them to come!

• L
    Beginner July 2013
    LouLaBellexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mrs C I LOVE your invites!! I think im going to give it ago making our own. What exaclty did u order off the PDA website, there seems so many options and i am getting a little lost :-)

Would really appreciate your help xx

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

Hi LouLaBelle,

I suggest you order some of the Swatch Packs from PDA, which contain a sample of all of their cards. Then you can narrow down what colour and fnish you want which makes it a bit easier.

They are also really helpful if you give them a call.

• L
    Beginner July 2013
    LouLaBellexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Hun x

• W
    Beginner September 2012
    WoozySoozy ·
    • Hide content

I am making ours too, but as I am not very artistic I have cheated slightly.

I love the work by the artist Rob Ryan so have bought some notecards with one of his designs on and I am going to make the inserts. I know its not the typical wedding invite, but its something that means a lot too me. The wedding theme colour is green so I have got them in Jade.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics