Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

goldpants
Beginner May 2014

May 2014 Brides :)

goldpants, 14 of May of 2013 at 10:23

Posted on Planning 340

Hi everyone, now that we are htting the one year mark (mine is tomorrow eeek!) I thought I would start this thread so we can all introduce ourseves and our weddings- chances are we will all be going through a lot of the same things at the same times and thought it would be great to share our...

Hi everyone, now that we are htting the one year mark (mine is tomorrow eeek!) I thought I would start this thread so we can all introduce ourseves and our weddings- chances are we will all be going through a lot of the same things at the same times and thought it would be great to share our experiences and support each other through the next year!

So yes hello I am Nikki! Me and my OH have been together now for 7 and a half years and he proposed (as my family and friends would say.. finally!) in february 2012 in mexico Smiley smile

We have done lots of planning so far, all of it very chilled out and no stresses yet......

Our wedding date is Thursday 15th May 2014.

We booked our venue last june, it is a beautiful barn with seperate room for our civil ceremony and accommodation for 60 guests as well. We live in Colchester, Essex and the venue is called Vaulty Manor in Maldon... I will do a seperate posts with all of our flashes together Smiley smile

On the morning of the wedding me my mum and best friend, moh and only bridesmaid Claire will be getting ready in the bridal suite. I've booked Dawn Taylor to do our hair and make up. Will flash my hair ideas seperately too.

The ceremony starts at 13:30. We're wanting it to be kept short and sweet so are not having readings. We are giving notice next week so hope to be a bit clearer about the ceremony soon. I will be walking down the aisle with my dad to Better Together (hawaiian slack key kings version) by Jack Johnson (on itunes if you want to listen) havent completely decided on the other songs yet. There will be 60 guests in the day.

Once the ceremony is over we are providing the prosecco and/or orange juice for the reception drinks, and will be having our photos here. Hopng for nice weather outside of course! Also having canapes. Our photographers are booked - it is a bit of a risk as our bidget was tight, they cost £500 for the whole day and are our age (27) with only about six weddings under there belt (more by next year) but check out the facebook page and you'll see why they won us over, the photos are gorgeous! We've met with them and also really like them too. We want our wedding to be casual with no airs and graces with our guests feeling comfortable and not on their best behaviours, so a chilled couple as our photographers works for us. Here is a link to some of their previous photos from another wedding

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.435756009793409.89096.185021771533502&type=3

So then it's food time! Everyone moves into the big barn room. We have sorted all the catering now too, met with them properly last week - We have booked the Aussie BBQ company and they are doing a big 5 ft chicken, chorizo and seafood paella, aussie steaks, aussie bangers, minted lamb kebabs and halloumi kebabs served with french bread, sauces and chutneys, mixed salad, potato salad and coleslaw. For dessert there is Triple chocolate mousse and fruit cheesecake.

http://www.aussiebbq.co.uk/pdfs/2013/FINALAussieBBQBuffetmenusMARCH2013.pdf

We are providing all our own wine (lots and lots, no rules per person) and having the speeches and toasts first before the meal (my OH has a small speech impediment snd wants the speeches out of the way asap)

We then have a bit of time time to fill and are thinking of doing a pub quiz (h2b is pub manager and it's quite 'us') but nothing set on that yet.

In the evening we will probably invite a further 40 guests ish and we ave booked a guitarist to sing live called Jamie Mcguire and he djs inbetweem we want sets of pop, rock and rnb and hip hop.

http://www.jamiemcguiremusician.co.uk/

We will be serving our cake in the evening on the bar along with a hog roast for our guests around 8:30.

I bought my dress last month too, it is White Rose R524 with a D'Zage belt for £1009.

Our flower ideas are daisies and gysophilia, we are meeting with a potential florist next week.

I've handmade all the save the date magnets and they are going out soon - they are in the colour theme for the wedding green and pinks.

I have bought some cheap little daisies from ebay and these will be tied in daisy chains around the beams in the venue.

I have bought small wicker baskets with candles for centrepieces which I will tie daisy chains round and am thinking maybe wood circles underneath.

Oooh and ordered my veil yesterday from Margaret, I am having a two tiered super soft tulle, elbow length veil with scalloped edges and thin pencil edge. It is costing me £41.28 including postage and a veil hanger. So far cannot reccommend her enough just hope it comes out how I imagine.

So the things left to sort now are:

* Rings (i'll flash some ideas below) going to go to Alba Rose first

* Shoes

* Honeymoon (I was very lucky and won a prize at work.. £5000 holiday vouchers with Thomson! hoping to book up soon, thinking of a safari then beach in mobasa kenya next july)

* BM dress

* Suits (leaving this to h2b so dont expect it anytime soon!!!)

* Make invitations

* Jewellery/ hair accessories/ underwear

* Buy wine/prosecco

* Gifts for family / bridal party

* Book hen do (got the time off work thinking a weekend in Valencia!) then another one local for family too.

There is probably loads more but so far feeling pretty organised Smiley smile

Cant wait to hear all about your weddings too Smiley smile Smiley smile happy planning!!!

340 replies

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm having real issues focussing and making actual decision instead of flitting between ideas. All of done since the year mark is buy a pair of shoes that doesn't go with my dress! I've started to try to get a list of things to tick off. Started ring shopping last week and doing BM dresses this week. Going to try to get a start on the invites the following week! Just scared I'll change my mind if I make firm decisions (bar the venue and the dress, which are already done).

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Crumbs! Smiley tongue
    Yeah, haven't got anywhere near *anything* organised yet, haha! Compared to you it's like I'm not even engaged, LOL! Smiley tongue

Rings are one thing that is no bother at all for me, being a jeweller - I have 3 flower girls and 3 BMs to still dress and I also need to learn flower arranging so I can do my own flowers!

Man, you'll be all done and dusted in a month and I'll only just be starting in March, knowing me!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I think we're pretty much done! I have an appointment with the florist on Saturday, have the menu to finalise with the caterer and the suits to get booked. I still need to order the inserts for my invitations too but all decisions have been made apart from my hair and make-up. I'm currently making my favours and will start on the stationary next. I feel quite organised but I still have quite a lot of my DIY bits to finish which should keep me occupied through the colder months.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I worry about this too - I'm terrible for changing my mind :/

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Arrghhh this has just totally freaked me out Icklefee! I'm feeling very behind schedule compared to a lot of people!

Alabastamasta, you're making me feel a little better!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOL! Happy to help! Smiley laugh

• I
    Beginner May 2014
    Izzysaurus ·
    • Hide content

I tried my dress on again today so feeling super excited! I've done most big things (Venue, dress, florist, DJ, cake). Now we need to find out how many of our relatives from Australia are coming (could be lots) before we can think about how much space we'll have for everybody else.

• ebarton24
    Beginner May 2014
    ebarton24 ·
    • Hide content

All May brides... when will you ladies be sending out invites? we are not doing save the dates as most people who will be invited to the day (60 people) know when it is any way. we are getting married on the 17th May and was thinking of sending out invites mid jan early feb time to give everyone enough time to send RSVP back! Also when booking things did you haggle on the price of things much?!

• V
    Beginner May 2014
    VHGT ·
    • Hide content

Im 22nd of May. Was planning on sending my invites beginning of March. x

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married on the 4th May. We're planning on sending our invites out next month. I know it's quite early but it means we can avoid Christmas post by asking for them back before Christmas but gives people enough time to respond and book hotels. It also means we have a good amount of time to chase any rsvp's after Christmas and sort out allocating rooms to guests at the venue.

I want to avoid leaving too much stuff til much nearer the time and then getting stressed about it. So far so good Smiley smile

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

Ladies! So nice to see my emails filling up with my fellow may brides! Smiley smile

Definitely feel like I'm getting my ooomph back, after months of doing nothing I have bought my bm dress, bought a proper ringbinder with different dividers for different things and am currently hunting my wedding ring!

I feel like xmas is coming and suddenly I will have five months to go... aghh!!

Wont be sending the invites out until I've bloody made them hahaha!!! (so april then!!)

And am happy to announce i have been on hitched every day this week.... yay goldpants is back Smiley smile Smiley smile x

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know I'm quite far ahead but if I didn't make decisions and get on with things before I had a chance to change my mind I'd still be choosing stuff after our first anniversary. From 1st October until Christmas I have birthdays galore, homework every night with 3 children so wanted all the big stuff out of the way before that. We have loads going on in the early part of the year with hen/stag weekends and various other commitments, I know how quickly the first few months of the year fly in. I don't handle stress well and if I leave too much until the last minute I'd end up in meltdown.

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Um, I guess we will send out once we've a) sorted the guestlist and b) I've worked out what they will be! Have sent save the dates to the people that have to travel from overseas, or have a habit of booking a gazillion holidays!

I'm tempted to send before Christmas then remind people a bit closer to the time, but I haven't really got that far (no surprises there!)

And yes - we haggled on the venue - just got nearly £2k off!!
    Dress I am getting made via a bridal factory, so that's at cost, rings are already at cost, centrepieces is my next job - mainly assembled from eBay and jumble sale finds
    MUA and hair is chief BMs job as she's a professional (handy!
    Flowers I'm doing
    Wine I think we will do some sort of booze cruise for, food is through the venue

So I can only really haggle on tog, cars (not even fussed about them) and um, I don't know what else!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yeah, you see I *should* be where you are as I know I'll be in meltdown come a few months time, but I just can't get me bum in gear! Smiley tongue

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm planning mid Jan for my invites

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

to be honest I'm feeling a bit tired of it all now. For the last 3 or 4 months it's just been wedding stuff constantly. Now I'm seeing the light at the end of it all I'm losing interest in it. Not sure if it's because I'm exhausted after a month in a new job, kids going back to school after the holidays and a nasty cold doing it or if I've just bored myself.....but still I keep looking at stuff!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ah, probably all of the above! I think I've bored myself before I've even started :/ Maybe a little break is called for? I have to say, I'm slightly dreading how full on I know it's going to get, what with doing the dress/flowers/centrepieces/invites/venues/presents/jewellery myself.

Ah well, who needs to be SANE as they walk down the aisle?

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

Hello Hello Hello.

I've been meaning to write in here for a while but I to have reached a wedding planning slump.

A mixture of venue doubts, money worries and lots of other silly things have been playing on my mind.

We are still making little bits of progress though.

My jar and glass bottle collection is growing - I think i've got enough for one table now. My OH and mum still aren't quite convinced that they will look nice but i'm hoping once I have mocked a few up they will change their mind.

I now have a venue, photographer, dress & have sent the save the dates. Oh and we give notice in just over a week.

I really want to book a DJ and Hair and make up but I am waiting for the Milton Keynes wedding fair because i'd much rather meet the person I am booking. The fair is the 20th October, which still seems forever away.

We still don't have a colour scheme because I keep going back to dusky pink (my OH refuses any pink at the wedding!) So at the moment we are at Lilac but i'm not 100% convinced.

I think I feel like I am in wedding planning limbo.

For all us May 17th girls, happy 'just past 8 months to go' mark Smiley smile 241 days!

• G
    Beginner May 2014
    GaynorA ·
    • Hide content

Hello everyone, I'm going to be a May bride too Smiley smile we get married on 17th May next year at my husband to be's local church followed by the reception at Alderley Edge Hotel. We only got engaged in July and confirmed our date a week ago so we have a lot of planning to do! I'm loving reading about how everyone else it getting on Smiley smile

so far we have a family friend who is doing the flowers and I have a friend who is a photographer...though I would like her to attend as a guest so not sure whether its fair to ask her to work! We have a rough idea of guest list and have sorted out bridesmaids and ushers.
    We havent decided on a definite colour scheme yet, thinking of royal blue or olive? and i cant wait to start trying on dresses Smiley smile I'm going to the north west wedding fair at event city on Saturday so I'm hoping to get some ideas / contacts there Smiley smile
    Look forward to continuing to get everyone's updates as we all get closer to the big day Smiley smile

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

I'm finally under the 8 months to go mark!! Eek!!! So damn excited!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Time does feel like it's starting to go a bit quicker now! Welcome - Gaynor - on the photographer front of I'd recommend getting someone in you don't know and letting your friend enjoy the day. Otherwise it will be hectic for them but also you might not feel like you can demand certain thongs from them as they're your friend and if shes doing it properly she won't be able to enjoy the day too much

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

A very tentative hi. Never done this before!!!

I'm a May bride. 17th May 2014. As for invites, I'm thinking end of Jan for the main (day) invites, then mid Feb for the evening invites. I figured get the Christmas rush over and have something to look forward to doing in the darkest months of the year and finally because it means we can get replies back in good time to give final numbers.

I'm a bit of an organising freak (as mu daughter calls me!) and I have everything sorted and I mean everything, have even made the wedding favours up and have them stored safely in a dark, cool cupboard (they are sweeties ?). Now that ive written it on here Im beginning to think Im a little strange!!

• G
    Beginner May 2014
    GaynorA ·
    • Hide content

Thank you DreamCatchMe, that's what I was thinking about the photographer too. Lainey13, I'm very impressed with how organised you are! I have now ordered a dress, which I'm so excited about Smiley smile I ordered it at the wedding fair on Saturday, it was the very first dress I tried on and I absolutely loved it straight away. I tried on some other styles just to make sure, but the first one was just what i wanted and my mum and sister loved it tooSmiley smileIt's so hard not to tell everyone what it's like, but I want it to be a surprise for the big day! I have an appointment to look at cars next week and then it's bridesmaids dresses, still can't decide on a colour scheme yet though!

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

I'm very lucky as cars are taken care of. I do a little casual work for a funeral company so get my cars (black limos) as a gift and driven by lovely work coleagues. What more could a girl want ?

My colour scheme is red, was decided as soon as the ring was on my finger. BM dresses and shoes all sorted. OH goes to chose his suit on Sat. Like he has a choice lol.

We did have a photographer planned but have had to find another one. He comes round on Sat to chat. Saw his work at a wedding fayre last week and was impressed. It's a lot of money but as I have read on a site "a good photo lasts longer than a good marriage" think of all those old photos people have of their grandparents marriage! So we are going to pay the shocking amount of money and get our memories imortalised (hopefully!)

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to all the newcomers!

Lainey, I have made all my favours up now too. So glad to get that job out of the way, it really was the most tedious part for me so far! I've finished making my flower girls's horseshoe, guest book, jars for the tables, guest book table decor... in fact all I have left to make are my invitations! I've also ordered my jars for my sweetie table and just paid my florist deposit which was the last thing to book. I think apart from ordering my tiara and the sweets I'm actually DONE! Quite exciting really because now I can start shopping for Christmas and saving for honeymoon clothes!

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

I'm showing these posts to my H2B He thinks I'm obsessed, I want him to see I'm not unusual I just like to be organised and I want my day to be stress free. On my daughters orders I have booked December to be a 'no wedding planing month' apparently Christmas is more important than my wedding plans not sure I agree lol. Icklefee As for making up the favours, I only had 23 to do and the hardest part was stopping my daughter and my H2B eating them - we having haribo hearts and loveheart sweets in little organza bags. My guest book will hopefully be a photo of us 2 taken before the big day with a large border which the guests will be able to sign like a guest book then the photographer will frame. I think it sounds wonderful. Table decor consists of 3 tall cylinder vases containing water, one rose each and a floating candle all on a large mirror. Sorted. The florist will bring the gerbera from the church pew ends and put in little vases for the evening tables. See said I was organised lol

We are not having a honeymoon until the following year as my then husband will celebrate his 40th birthday so we will combine them. But we couldnt wait that long to get married lol

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

It's my H2B's 40th in 2015 too! I couldn't wait that long for a holiday!

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, I'm still not much further along than a month ago, haha!

I've seen some togs, should be getting the dress designed over the next couple of weeks, ready to send to the factory (yay!)

No idea on invites yet, but starting to get venue dressing and theme ideas - I'm going ALL OUT with an Alice in Wonderland theme, so exciting! Smiley laugh

BMs have now all met each other - at last! And will be wearing a dark charcoal grey, flower girls in dusky pink, both with a bright teal/turquoise accessories

Engagement ring nearly done! Wedding rings still need sorting. Not having favours, so that's one less job!

Oh, and we've finally booked a venue!

Still need to decide on:

- final dress design;

- cake design;

- flowers

and loads of other stuff, I'm sure!

• H
    Beginner May 2014
    Helybel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're getting married on May 24th. We're planning to send our day invites out early too, around end of October/early November. I have quite a large chunk of extended family on my Dad's side who I have to invite really but I never ever see them. My aunt and uncle are getting on a bit now and may possibly not come because of that in which case some of my cousins may not but I need to know because it means I could invite people from work who I'd really want there but can't quite afford at the moment. I hate that I have to divide the guests into day and evening but it is just a cost thing. The other thing is we're getting married on the bank holiday weekend so the hotels may get booked up quicker.

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

I haven't really thought when I'll be sending my invites yet. Maybe Jan/Feb time.

I have started looking at designs though and prices ? I am not very crafty at all but I think I'm going to have to make my own - although of course my plan is still to win my invites from paper themes :p

I went to The National Wedding Show on Sunday and everyone was saying 'ooo you don't have much time left now then!' It was getting me nervous.

I think i'll be happier once I have the DJ and hair and make up booked (venue, tog, cake, flowers and dress already sorted)

I have found some shoes in the sale at BHS but the heel is half an inch too tall for my dress.

What do you think if I get them, ask the dress shop if I can try them in with the dress (the sample is the same size I have ordered) and then send them back if they are too tall?

• westlakedesignsbasic
    westlakedesignsbasic ·
    • Hide content

Wow lots of very organised brides, cant wait to read all your reports next year ?

• Lainey13
    Beginner May 2014
    Lainey13 ·
    • Hide content

Mrs B. We hd similar problems with my BM shoes. When we asked the shop owner if the dress came in different lengths she said no. Its long she said and can be taken up if needed.BM's shoes are 3" heel. Shop owner said 2" max. My BM is 5'9" and we had already bought her shoes. We went back and arranged a 'try on' again (actual dress gets ordered in November) Her shoes were perfect. So my advice is go back with your shoes and try dress and cross your fingers lol Your shoes are beautiful BTW.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics