Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

natalieexx
Beginner October 2012

***natalieexx's Wedding Report!!!!***14th October 2012***Long & Flash Heavy!!

natalieexx, 9 of November of 2012 at 10:07 Posted on Planning 0 77

Our background…

We met in July 2009 and were set up through friends. OH is in the army and was based in Guildford, Surrey at the time, only an hour’s drive from where I live here in Kent.

I’d gone through a horrible breakup and my friend wanted to cheer me up, so forced me to go and visit her boyfriend with her (now her husband, he’s in the army too!) on the promise that he’d bring out a “hot mate”! So I went with her and that’s how we met. It was only meant to be a bit of fun but we were smitten with each other and 2 days later he came back to spend the weekend with me, and drunkenly asked me to be his girlfriend in a club that night (cheesy I know!)

The next day I woke up wondering if he even knew my surname, and having a laugh with my friend about what had happened the night before. Neither of us thought it would last as he was being posted to Germany at the end of November but the more OH & I saw of each other, the more we fell in love, and it didn’t take long to realise this was more than a bit of fun!

He moved to Germany in November 2009 and we were both heartbroken but determined to make it work. And it did! We spent hundreds a month on phone bills and travelling to see each other and had an extremely hard 3 years but we made it.

In July 2011, just before my 21st birthday, he asked me to marry him. We were both over the moon but shortly after OH got told that his posting, which was due to end that November and him come back to the UK, had been extended for another 2 years! After months of worrying and trying to work out what to do we decided I would move to Germany and we booked our wedding on 4th December 2011 for 10 months later! The planning was put on hold as a week later my Grandad went into hospital, and sadly died in February this year, so all of a sudden we were in March and I hadn’t booked a single thing other than the photographer and the venue, so the planning was a bit of a mad rush at first! Plus I had to do nearly everything on my own as OH was abroad but we managed to get everything done eventually.

Around this time OH also had been messed about for the umpteenth time to do with going to Afghan (a stress we didn’t need with what our family were going through!) and he decided to leave the army. Now not only did we have the stress of the wedding, but the stress of him leaving the army, where would we live, what if he couldn’t get a job, etc etc… we definitely had a very stressful time!

Leaving the army takes months but we were assured he would be out in plenty of time for our wedding – how wrong were we! Some of you may know the stresses we had in the weeks up to the wedding as OH was still in Germany, so we weren’t sure if he would be able to have any time off for the wedding or not, or if he’d have to go back to living in Germany after we were married etc… he eventually got to leave 2 days before our wedding!! Talk about last minute stress!!

And the rest is history…

77 replies

Latest activity by kindred_spirit, 3 of March of 2013 at 22:23
  • natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

The week of the wedding…

I was at work for the first half of the week, and didn’t manage to get much done at all, all I could think was wedding! My last day at work was Wednesday and they did me a presentation to wish me luck, and gave me a big card with money inside which was lovely… until I looked out the window!

It was funny but I have a 40 minute drive home along the motorway so it had to come off, ha ha!

The Thursday and Friday were spent finishing little jobs, and chilling out before the big day. I had my nails done, waxing done, ironed all the chair sashes, and got all the things together that needed to go to the venue.

On the Thursday OH finally got his army leaving date through for the next day, which meant he didn’t have to go back to Germany after the wedding!! ? which finally took away all that stress and really was the icing on the cake ?

Friday OH came home for good which was the strangest but best feeling ever… great start to the rest of our lives!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

The day before…

Woke up early feeling very strange that it would be our last time waking up together as single people! We had a lot to do and OH took this moment to tell me that he hadn’t actually started his speech yet!! (not a surprise really – he’s the most unorganised man on this earth!!)

We quickly dashed out to pick up the suits, OH ironed all the shirts while I finished last minute bits and bobs and then I ran the stuff over to the venue with one of my BM’s whilst he wrote his speech.

His family had arrived at the hotel from up north and some of my family had turned up too, so I had a quick catch up with them before heading home to get ready for a meal that night. OH had finally finished his speech (2 hours later!) and headed over to the hotel to get ready for the meal too.

Then me and my family, and OH and his family met at a restaurant for a lovely meal, the Best Man had called a few days before to say he couldn’t make it on the Saturday as he had to drive from Bristol, but he turned up anyway as a surprise for OH which was really lovely! We all had a lot of food and a lot of drink and then it was goodbye to OH until the wedding!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

The wedding day!!!

I woke up about 8am and tried to deny to myself that it was my wedding day… I hadn’t been nervous at all but as I lay in bed I thought “if you don’t get up yet, things will stay calm and the madness will start later” ha ha! I took a quick peek out the window and after what had been a horrific week weather-wise, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, and there wasn’t a cloud in sight! I could not have been happier! I soon got up and showered and yes, the madness began. Quick text to OH to say happy wedding day and before I knew it everyone was arriving!

I met most of my best friends through college doing hairdressing so they came and did all our hair for the wedding which was lovely. 4 hairdressers and 5 bridesmaids soon arrived and Dad was dishing out bacon and egg sarnies to anyone and everyone! We had lots of champagne and bucks fizz to wash it down which went down a treat!

Then best man turned up with a huge bunch of flowers and a card from my lovely fiancé – cue me turning into an emotional wreck! I then spent the best part of the morning crying, as did my bridesmaids!

The flowers arrived around 11am and they were more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. I’d gone in there with a vague photo and they were absolutely stunning, just what I’d wanted!

After my hair was done and the last 2 BMs were having theirs finished off, I went to pack my overnight bag. At this point my mind went blank and I couldn’t even think what I needed or what to do (good job I’d sorted most things out in advance!) so 2 of my BMs had to literally go through a list of what I needed to take 1 by 1 so I could pack everything! I found it really hard leaving my bedroom (I’ve never even moved house before and here I was, going to get married and leaving the family home for good!) and had a little cry as I left, knowing next time I went back there I would be married.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

At 12pm we got in the cars (my dad had put ribbons on the 3 cars needed to take me, my family and my BMs which was lovely!) and off we went! At this point I still hadn’t felt nervous at all and was just worrying that I had enough time to do my makeup and get into my dress.

Got to the venue and the photographer was already there, taking photos of the outside of the venue and of us arriving. He was really friendly and I felt at ease with him straight away, which was great.

Checked into the bridal suite and opened a posh bottle of Harrods champagne (thanks to MIL!) and I started on my makeup. I’m not sure how, but it went perfectly! Things never go well when you want them to, and I’m so glad on this one occasion it did!

The photographer was coming and going while we were getting ready and took some really lovely shots, he didn’t get in the way at all and just faded into the background ? – if anyone is getting married in the South East I’d definitely recommend Complete Photography, really decent prices and amazing photography, with lovely photographers.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

At 2pm all my bridesmaids were dressed and looking absolutely stunning. My flower girl had arrived and was getting ready and I felt quite overwhelmed seeing them all together; I hadn’t seen them all in their dresses together as they lived all over the UK/Germany/Holland!

My best friend and my mum got me into my dress and put my veil on for me, and by 2.20pm I was ready to go, with 40 mins to spare! I was buzzing with excitement and couldn’t wait to just get downstairs and marry the man I love!

More champagne and the registrars came to talk to me, then the photographer came in with my Mum & Dad. My Dad beamed at me with the biggest, watery eyed smile I’ve ever seen and told me I looked stunning.

Then, we were ready to go!! I was so excited and not nervous at all! All the bridesmaids were more nervous than me! I was so proud of how gorgeous they all looked. We lined up in order outside the ceremony room and I heard the music kick in and off they went, one by one, then finally it was my time to walk up the aisle with my dad! All I remember is grinning like an idiot, feeling so happy and so excited to see OH.

This photo is of me peeking round the corner up the aisle trying to get a glimpse of OH!

My dad stood on my dress as we walked up the aisle so I was saying “Dad, mind my dress!!” Then I looked forward and saw OH at the end, facing the other way, and I could tell by the way he was standing how nervous he was!

The registrar had told me that OH had said he wasn’t going to turn around to see me walk up the aisle as he was too nervous, but he couldn’t help himself ? as I got to the end I looked up at him and he was crying!! This meant so much to me as he’s not one for personal affection at all!!

OH told me I looked beautiful and said ‘wow!’, he couldn’t stop looking at me and down at my dress! I just grinned wider and cheesier than before and whispered “you look so hot” ha ha!

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Cant wait for the rest! Gorgeous!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

As I reached the end of the aisle the sun had come out from behind a cloud and lit up the entire room, it was beautiful. The room was so hot and looked stunning with the sun shining in, it was like a summers day!

It was perfect, and OH messed up one of his lines (I think he said “I call upon these presents here present”) which made everyone laugh! We just kept grinning at each other and he kept welling up! I thought I’d be the one to cry but I was just so happy I couldn’t get the grin off my face!

OH’s sister, who was a BM, did a reading and it was so lovely. Our BMs were sat in a row to the side of me and OH and luckily I couldn’t see them all behind him, as I could hear the tears and they would have set me off!

After the ceremony we were signing the register and I could tell how nervous OH was, he hates photos and as the photographer was trying to get the shot, he kept talking nervously and pulling silly faces! I had a little joke with him and told him I’d start the nagging wife act early if he didn’t calm down and relax for the photos! He finally realised that if he just smiled then the photos would soon be over and done with and he could relax!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

We then went outside for Bucks Fizz and to mingle with our guests and it was lovely seeing how gorgeous all our friends and family looked all done up ? Then we went and had all the group shots done, and we had an absolute laugh with the photographer whilst taking them!

After that we went for a walk with the photographer and we managed to take a few minutes to talk about how amazing everything was. We couldn’t believe how perfect the weather was and how everything was so much better than we could have imagined, and we couldn’t stop kissing and cuddling! The photographer actually told us not to kiss until we were told to ha ha!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

During this time the guests had all gone through and were seated in the reception room so we were then announced in as Mr & Mrs Curtis for the first time! Which was lovely to hear. Everybody cheered as we walked in and I couldn’t help doing a little “Woooo!!” of my own as we reached the top table!!

The food was absolutely beautiful but I really couldn’t eat much at all. My dress was so tight and FIL had to nip up to his room to get some Anadin as it was seriously giving me backache! I loved sitting there watching all our guests laughing and having a good time, and at this point I realised all the silly little worries and stresses during the planning were for nothing… this was what mattered, having all those we love there with us enjoying themselves. I decided to get a few sneaky photos of all the guests and it was lovely to have some photos from our perspective too!

Then it was time for the speeches. My dad was so nervous and I could tell but he did really, really well. His speech was lovely and really made everyone laugh, he doesn’t show his emotions too well but it was lovely hearing him speak about me & OH in the way he did ?he even mentioned my Grandad, bless him, who died 6 months ago. I was heartbroken that he didn’t make it to my wedding and knew he was there in spirit, and it was lovely that Dad decided to include a bit about him in his speech. Cue lots of crying across the room!

OH then did his speech, which he was extremely nervous about and had only written the day before! He has a habit of putting things off if he doesn’t want to do them! He did really well and his nerves came across but it was so sweet, he only forgot to include a few things but it didn’t matter, he made everyone laugh and said some lovely things about me ?

Then the Best Man did his speech, which mostly included stories from a holiday they had taken together to Antigua when they were 18! It was hilarious and OH sat there with his head in his hands through most of it saying “Oh sh*t, what’s he going to say next…” which cracked me up!

OH's sister also did a lovely speech which brought a tear to everyone's eye! They've had a hard time in the past and sadly lost their Dad 8 years ago so she wanted to also have a big part in our wedding as they've been very close growing up.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Then the evening began! Our photographer projected the photos from the morning up in the bar adjacent to our reception room which was lovely, but I was too busy mingling and didn’t get to see many! The funniest thing is that my something blue were my knickers, which had ‘Mrs Curtis’ in diamantes on the bum, and a photo of these got projected up! They were a surprise to OH and (luckily!) somehow he didn’t see the photo of those being projected (even though nearly every other guest did!) so people kept going up to him all night talking about my knickers!

The evening guests started to arrive and so we cut the cake, it was a heavy fruit cake so lots of fun was had trying to get the knife to cut through it!

We then had our first dance, which OH had been very nervous about, but we just sang the words to each other and before he knew it, it was over. Somehow we hadn’t realised that our flower girl was stood right next to us watching intently, tapping her foot along to the music, which was so sweet and the photographer managed to get a lovely photo of it!

After that we just danced the night away and had the time of our lives! The DJ was excellent and the dance floor was completely packed all night! Strangely the most requested song of the night was Gagnam Style and when it was played nearly everyone got up and did the dance! It was hilarious and now that song is a funny reminder of our perfect day.

We finished the night off with all our family and closest friends still on the dance floor and it was simply amazing. OH was like an excited child and wanted to open all our cards and presents right there and then so we went up to our room and opened everything, and it was so overwhelming to see how generous everyone had been and a lovely end to our special day.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

And that’s it! It really was the best day of my life and I’d give anything to do it again. We wouldn’t change a thing, it was literally the most perfect day and now it just feels like it was a dream! The day flew by and I will hold these memories forever!

Thank you for reading ? Here's a few more photos just to finish off! xxx

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! I'm sorry it's so flash heavy I get a little carried away! ? xx

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

Wow gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous. You look stunning and sounds lke you had the best day. Congratulations xx

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, it was truly amaizng ?

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely gorgeous. You looked beautiful. Congratulations.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

What a beautiful bride! Love the pics, fantastic report.

Congratulations.

• Fergo
    Beginner December 2012
    Fergo ·
    • Hide content

What a beautiful bride! Love the pics, fantastic report.

Congratulations.

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Lovely report. You look stunning & looks like you had a wonderful day x

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is amazing, you looked stunning. And looks like you had a perfect day.

Also - I want your hairstyle! I have saved the first pic of you on your own showing your hair / tiara in my ideas folder, hope you don't mind ?

Congrats xxx

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report. You looked absolutely stunning, you have such a teeny waist!!

Congratulations Smiley smile

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful report, you had me in tears. Sounds like you had an amazing day- congratulations!!

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course I don't mind! I'm a hairdresser so knew exactly how I wanted it, nice and natural ? here's a back of head flash if it helps! xx

• mandspice
    Beginner September 2013
    mandspice ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! Mine isn't quite as long as yours but I have a year to grow it ? Looks stunning x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all the lovely comments ladies ? and Ali_G thank you! I'm totally in-and-out curvy and my dress did wonders at complementing this! x

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

You look absolutely gorgeous!!! Looks like the perfect day x

Savvy
    *ACS* ·
    • Hide content

Firstly..... Congratulations xxxxx

I have been waiting for your report for aaaaaaaggggesssssss!!! I wasnt dissapointed though, you looked stunning, such a lovely report too... hurrah for it being flash heavy ?

Hadlow is back up to the top of my list now lol Did you love it? Did you stay there after the reception?

Also, your flowers, wow!! Stunning...

Awwwww... so chuffed for you!

x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Ohh my God I love it! It was the most amazing venue, seriously, the staff were excellent and to be honest the day could not have gone more perfectly! It was truly amazing. The venue is stunning I can not reccommend it highly enough! And yes we stayed there, there's a choice of bridal suite's and we went for the one with the big four poster bed in it, the rooms are gorgeous and huge, and the guests said all the rooms were big, not just the suite's! And breakfast the next day was beautiful too!

And yes I adore my flowers! Gorgeous! From Ab Fab flowers in Walderslade ? xxx

Savvy
    *ACS* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yey!!! I'm so chuffed for you, sounds like it was perfect ?

xxx

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

Lovely to read all about your day! You must add a final bit about after the wedding (new job and new house bits) as they really complete the happy ever after story!

• H
    Beginner April 2014
    holalisa ·
    • Hide content

I really enjoyed reading that, what a lovely story! No apologies necessary for the photos etc, you should be proud to show them off, it looks like everything was so perfect and your photographer has a really good eye for it.

• Foote2c
    Beginner December 2012
    Foote2c ·
    • Hide content

Fab report, great flashes (especially the knickers) and such lovely detail. Looks like you had a fantastic day. Thanks for sharing. X

• celticgoddess
    Beginner March 2012
    celticgoddess ·
    • Hide content

Love love love your dress, its my favourite ever! I loved reading this report your day looked amazing, full of happiness and love!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics