Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

Office Traditons of Cakes On Your Birthday.......

Flowmojo, 7 March, 2011 at 11:28 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

...i will never and have never understood the whole tradition of bringing in cakes for your colleagues on YOUR birthday!!? whats it all about?! its my bloody birthday bring ME cake!

My birthday is on saturday and ive just had one of the guys come to me and ask if im bringing in home made cakes friday or if im buying them from asda on my way in ?

i am assuming ive not just been unlucky in every job that ive ever had and everyone else has this within their working environment?

16 replies

Latest activity by The Sock Chicken, 7 March, 2011 at 17:45
  • *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

That happens at my work too - I don't undertsand it either. I always feel obliged to take in more than I would normally as we have loads of people ini my office Smiley smile

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

We do this too. But never homemade from me. I buy little tubs of stuff from m&s or Sainsburys. My lot are very greedy. They normally get finished by lunchtime. They have to be rationed.

If you forget at my work you're in big trouble.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

saem here, men and cakes, i wouldnt live it down! plus, cos i do alot fo baking, i think theyl be expecting home made masterpieces!! (not that theyd appricate the prettyness, being men an all!!)

LUCKILY, theres only 12 office staff here, but i stil begrudge it!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

We don't do anything in my current office.

In my last job I usually worked in teams of 3 or 4 and if it was a member of staff's birthday made sure I always got them a cake, but didn't recieve one back. I did receive a cake when I qualified from the client I was working on though which was sweet.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Everywhere I worked before has this weird tradition, where i work now I have instilled a we but cake for the birthday person rule instead, only seems fair to me!

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Unfortunately I work in an all female department and there's about 30 of us. So it gets expensive!!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Same in school staffrooms.... your birthday, you buy.

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? Blimey that's a lot of cake to buy!

There's about 15 of us but the lads are out at clients a lot so sometimes you can get lucky and your birthday falls on a day when the office is quiet!

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Out of interest - do you tell them it's your Birthday or do they find out?

In my last job I was very friendly with most of the office based people so they always knew from FB / just knowing me but here my boss is lovely but wouldn't call him a friend, he's not on my FB so wouldn't have a clue it's my Bday unless I tell him - hence, the no cake bringing in!

• Weather Girl
    Beginner October 2009
    Weather Girl ·
    • Hide content

We tend to know when it's someones birthday but whoever brings in cakes usually leaves a Post-It note stuck on the box saying something along the lines of:

"It's my birthday. Please help yourselves"

?

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

yep sames! so il be baking thursday evening, making the cakes loko preddy and then will watch everyone eat their delisciousness on friday Smiley sad

• Daisy82
    Beginner
    Daisy82 ·
    • Hide content

We have a birthdat card list too so when it's someone's birthday the person who had their birthday last is then in charge of making sure a card goes round and everybody signs it and then makes sure it's delivered on their birthday so there's no way of getting out of not bringing cakes in.

There is 30 people in the department but half of them are part time so it's only about 20 at any one time x

• Cookie Galore
    Beginner November 2009
    Cookie Galore ·
    • Hide content

Every other department here does the "bring your own cake" thing but we decided we didn't like it so at the start of the year you get allocated someone's birthday (names in a hat) and you're responsible for doing that person's card and bringing in their cake. Means everyone brings in one cake per year and no one has to bring their own.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

We don't do cakes as we don't work in the same place often. We do chip in and spend, say, £50 on a present though.

That said, my boys forgot it was my birthday today so they owe me a lot of gin to make up for it!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

We buy cakes on our birthdays where I work. There is no actual rule, but the understanding is that if it's just a regular birthday then you buy for your department, but us office staff usually buy enough for all the office departments, so that's about 14 people. I also have friends in other departments who I invite down for a cake, so overall I end up buying for about 20, and because I like to get variety it can cost about £10 +

On special birthdays, there tends to be collections, and then in that circumstance you buy for the whole company which is about 80 people!! Although most buy cakes for their department and then a tin of sweets for everyone else!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics