Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

curvygirl77
Beginner September 2013

Relative Newbie! Any Devon brides out there?

curvygirl77, 15 of July of 2012 at 21:59 Posted on Planning 0 289

Hey everyone

I am thoroughly enjoying this site and seeing everyone's ideas - I was just wondering whether there were any other South Devon brides out there! Feel like I am the only one ?

Due to get married 14th September 2013 - and I can't wait! ?

289 replies

Latest activity by Mrs Monkey, 18 of June of 2013 at 18:00
  • Kylie541
    Beginner February 2013
    Kylie541 ·
    • Hide content

No! I'm a South Devon bride. Though I live a 6 hour drive away! Welcome to the site.

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Yep! I'm in Plymouth - 2 months today!!!! Welcome to Hitched! Have you got a church/venue yet?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Congratulations and welcome curvygirll!

I'm Cornwall, so not too far!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks peeps, its nice to be here!

i am having the ceremony and reception in the same venue - my OH is catholic and I am not so we just couldn't agree on a church wedding lol! I was almost there with confirming a venue, then one of my other choices threw a spanner in the works by reducing the price and now I am just soooooo confused! Got some thinking to do this week, the venues both have my date free so its going to come down to the nitty gritty ?

• Annie k
    Beginner June 2013
    Annie k ·
    • Hide content

Hello. I am fairly new too and in HONITON. Getting married June 2013'

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh, which ones, I may be able to offer an opinion!!

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

Hello, West Devon bride here! We're getting married late May 2013, in Tavistock.

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

My two current choices are Holne Park in Ashburton and Courtlands in Exmouth. They are both coming in pretty much on budget, one has less accommodation than the other and one is further away! OMG its hard - I fell in love with both places and could see myself swanning around either ?

opinions welcome!

• N
    Beginner June 2013
    natsastar ·
    • Hide content

Ahh!!! im from Totnes so im really close to you! ?

We went and looked at Holne Park House....decided to get married in a church in the end and somewhere more my way but Holne Park House was GORGEOUS!!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

I know! Holne Park was the first venue I looked at and I fell in love, however Courtlands was also a love at first sight venue. So now I am stuck! have resorted to a for and against list.......?

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    BrogstarBride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooh Im paignton so im near you! Its nice to have some local brides on here! Add me as a friend if you like it will be good to talk to a local bride to be about local suppliers etc! Smiley smile

xx

• B
    Beginner September 2013
    BrogstarBride ·
    • Hide content

Im paignton so i think were very near! lol its nice to know there are local brides about! You can add me as a friend if you like, it would be nice to chat to a local bride to be about local venues florists etc! Oh and more importantly dress shops!!!

xx

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

Oh yay! I thought I was the only one too! I am getting married at home, near Newton Abbot/Totnes on 15 September 2012 Smiley smile

I can definitely share some tips on florist, photographer, catering, marquee etc!

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

Ps Is Holne Park what used to be Holne Chase hotel? I used to work there in my summer hols!

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're dates twins!! Less than two months now, have you got much left to do?

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

Hello date twin! Smiley smile

Well...need to finalise and print order of service, decide on my jewellery, have my hair trial....umm, buy gifts for BMs and ushers/best man...pay all final amounts for cake, flowers, music, catering, marquee etc.. am sure there is more. ooh finalise gift list before it closes.

Am most importantly:

BUY CLOTHES FOR THE HONEYMOON! Smiley winking (ok so this shouldn't be priority. Still on my list tho hehe!)

What about you?

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This ^^^ was on my list for this weekend, but wedding stress is causing me to eat and I feel huuuuuugeeeee! ☹️

Not a lot to do really. Paid off loads of stuff last week, just venue, caterer, TOG and band left to pay.

Cant sort out table plans until all RSVP's back, waiting on 9 people but date not until 3rd August so cant do that yet!

Then just silly little bits like FG shoes (little people randomly grow at random times I'm told), wrap presents, fill kids favour bags etc.

Just want it over now, and to be on honeymoon!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Woohoo to all us south devon brides ?

I think Holne Park and Holne Chase are two different hotels, Holne Park is on the River Dart Country Park.

Would love to share tips etc, have bought my dress already though! ? was very enthusiastic!! xx

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

Didn't think about FG shoes - better wait for that one too...!

I know - I can't wait for honeymoon, we will need it by then! Where are you off to? We are going to Santorini, Tuscany and finishing in Rome, just under 2 weeks in total

• misslaura
    Beginner September 2012
    misslaura ·
    • Hide content

Oooh what's your dress like Curygirl?

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Its a Sonsie by Veromia style 91050D in ivory - I can't find pics of it on the net Smiley sad and the pic I have wasn't taken on my camera! Will post next time I try it on (hopefully very very soon!) Only needs taking up as I am a shortie, otherwise it fits like a glove ? Totally not the style I was going to go for but it was definitely a dress that elicited the most tears from me and my MOH!

I am actually starting to think she wrote down the style wrong as all the 91050 dresses I have seen on the net are nothing like mine!

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

Courtlands is beautiful - my OH's best man and his wife got married there, and it was fab. They had some great photos in the grounds too!

I'm in East Devon.

good luck hun!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh cool, am glad to hear of someone getting married there! Was a bit worried about the reception room and the table layouts - did they work ok? I am actually going to see it again on Monday to make a final decision - keep the fingers crossed I can make one!

Cheers for the luck I think I may need it! When is your big day?

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

It worked really well. I think there were about 65 people and there was plenty of room. Studio 5 Photography in Teignmouth did the photos, and I think there are a couple in their gallery of Courtlands.

We're a long way off yet - 2nd November 2013, but I have got the church (St John in the Wilderness) and Woodbury Park booked up. We'd have gone for Courtlands too but I kind of wanted to avoid places where friends had got married.

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Oh lovely, I am having about 80 for the day and another 40 for the evening so hoping its not too small! I have seen it once but it was all a bit of a blur hence the second visit!

I was avoiding venues that I had been to weddings at previously too, my brother got married at lavender house this year and there were a couple of other places to avoid. I am going to see Woodbury on Wednesday - just in case its the answer to all my prayers! I take it you liked it (having booked it lol!)

• SuperDuff
    Beginner November 2013
    SuperDuff ·
    • Hide content

Lavendar house looks lovely too.

Originally we were looking at Otterton Mill but there were a few restrictions (as they continue to trade so don't want you there til gone 6pm). It is lovely though, and if we were going really small it would be my #1 choice.

I liked Woodbury. It isn't my perfect venue if I'm completely honest, as I'd have lovely Bicton Gardens or Bishops Court, but my budget just won't stretch to that. I do like Woodbury though, and warmed to it more when we met our photographers (need to book them actually...), as they'd got a few photos, and they were pretty amazing. We saw WP set up for a wedding and it looked beautiful. We have gone for their off peak package, so it's right in budget too.

Let us know how you get on!!

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

I am from Exmouth! I love Courtlands house, I always remember seeing it when I would get the train from Exmouth to Exeter and thinking I would want to live there!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Well now I am in a pickle ?

Went to see Woodbury Park this evening and I loved it, its come in smack under my budget and I can't see anything to complain about. Except the fact that it is a hotel and therefore won't be exclusive use; but then do you really need an exclusive use venue?! I would be having the ceremony in the Atrium and the reception in the Greg Norman suite. The Atrium is amazing and the fact that there is a bar in the Greg Norman suite is a big advantage however I would have to move my date to 21st September (no biggie really) But then there's Courtlands which is also lovely and has the exclusive use factor.

Argh! thought i was confused before lol, I love them both. OH is being no help at all, he is happy to go along with whatever I decide. Men!

Any opinions from anyone will be most appreciated, in fact if you want to make the decision for me go ahead! I'm off to have a glass of wine ?

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Have you ever been inside AmiRobertson? Its lovely. Its proper old housey and the views are amazing!

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

Have you ever been inside AmiRobertson? Its lovely. Its proper old housey and the views are amazing!

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

No I haven't but I can imagine the views are outstanding and the building must be amazing inside as its just so beautiful outside!

I would most definitely choose courtlands over woodbury park, I have been to a couple of weddings there and my mum is ladies golf captain there as well so spent a lot of time up there and although its lovely would you want your wedding photos on a golf course OR with amazing views across exmouth estuary? Plus woodbury park doesn't look nearly as beautiful as courtlands. For example if it was raining and you had to your photos inside which building would be better?

If its accommodation you are worrying about (saw it mentioned in a previous post) then the nutwell lodge just down the road has rooms for a really reasonable price (they do the best carvery on a sunday too) or there are plenty of hotels in exmouth itself and taxis are so cheap.

I would definitely choose courtlands Smiley smile haha

• curvygirl77
    Beginner September 2013
    curvygirl77 ·
    • Hide content

You make a valid point! I really must weigh up the pros and cons ?

Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics