Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

The Sock Chicken
Beginner August 2010

Things you secretly (or not so secretly) hate about weddings - Take 2

The Sock Chicken, 4 of February of 2009 at 23:00

Posted on Planning 99

Ok, I know this has been done before.....and it was so much fun the first time around, plus we have lots of newbies since then.....so here we go............. (And remember its a bit of fun so dont be offended if someone lists something you are having...we don't all have the same tastes) I (not so...

Ok, I know this has been done before.....and it was so much fun the first time around, plus we have lots of newbies since then.....so here we go.............

(And remember its a bit of fun so dont be offended if someone lists something you are having...we don't all have the same tastes)

I (not so secretly) hate receiving lines, chocolate fountains, money poems, plastic horseshoes, sweetheart tables and willy stuff on hen nights

Your turn............

99 replies

• L
    Beginner August 2009
    Lauren24 ·
    • Hide content

OMG, Zippy how horrendous, so much awful crappy assonance, how can they call them poems?! Every dead poet ever is rolling in their grave.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

To save you looking, shopping or buying.
    Here is an idea, we hope you like trying!
    Come to our wedding, to wish us both well.
    And make some use of our little wishing well.
    Just put some money into a card,
    Now make a wish…..see that wasn’t hard!
    Now that we have saved you, all that fuss.
    We hope you will come, and celebrate with us.
    Please don’t be offended at this type of request,
    As our day will be complete having you as our guest

I think that one is the rudest out of them all and how patronising

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

I hate...............

bouquets with trailing bits on them, dont they get caught and break off ( i know alot of hitchers have them, im sorry if I offend)

drunk brides that vomit - I have seen this, its not pretty

Dresses that cost the earth and the boastful brides that come with them "oh my dress cost £500,000,000 designed by (input famous designers name here) and was handmade by small children in china" - WHY WHY WHY we all want nice expensive dresses, but what is the point of spending £20k on a DRESS for goodness cake!

I hate it that people expect us to get married in a church, why should we? Just cos we are having a civil ceremony doesnt mean we dont love each other as much as 2nd cousin once removed did just cos she got wed at St Agatha's????

erm... I think that is it for now,,,,,,, and breathe!!!

• Stazzle
    Stazzle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh god....I can't even put into words how utterly horrific that is!!! I think the worst bit is:

Just put some money into a card,
    Now make a wish…..see that wasn’t hard!

I tell you what, if I received that I would be tempted to put something entirely different in their card and it would be far from pleasant ?

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Totally agree with all the above, do not fancy all the hen night L Plates, willies kiss me quick etc. Never liked it never will, do not really liked been shown up, really or being the centre of attention. I know on my wedding day I will be!

Also hate, the family politics arguments. You should do this and do that blah, blah!

I do like to please everyone, but starting to realise I am not pleasing myself!

One lovely leason learnt this last week from you lovely ladies

x

• FIONATS73
    Beginner August 2009
    FIONATS73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? My dad has a poem about me doing this when I was a baby (i mean 6 months)! I have told him he is not allowed to do a speach as scared to death he mentions this, how embrasing ?

I forgot my biggest hate is, how much everything costs! Why spend £500 + on a cake, why spend a number of 1,000 on dress you only actually have it on for 10 say hours its alott of money per hour. Everybody expects someone to be there but you have not seen them for how many years, Oh but they need to be there! People forget its you day and not theres!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Can I just say how much I'm loving this thread!? It's good to know that I'm not the only one who hates all these things!

• G
    Beginner January 2008
    george12 ·
    • Hide content

About wedding i don't like loud music.

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

Interesting thread ..... vaguely remember the last one. So for me its;

- people who try to do / have something 'original' 'different' at their wedding for the sake of being different

- people who change themselves for the wedding - personally not a fan of major diets, growing hair and all that stuff

- inviting loads of people, half of which you haven't probably seen in ages. I just want people there that mean something to H2B and I.

- teardrop bouquets - but thats just me

Mmmm thats it for now but will post more if I think of them.

• diamondsragirlsbestfriend!
    Beginner May 2008
    diamondsragirlsbestfriend! ·
    • Hide content

Just remembered one more thing ..... feather fascinators. Sorry to those having them, just something about the feathers that I don't like the look of.

• milna
    Beginner May 2009
    milna ·
    • Hide content

Table Diamonds

Favours

Cheesy pop songs for the ceremony music

Disposable cameras on tables (are you really going to get a single worthwhile photo?!)

Overly fake tanned and false talloned brides, concrete curls.

Money poems (though I'm not offended by a straighforward 'Please don't bother buying anything - any contributions towards our honeymoon fund will be gratefully received but are not expected)

Wishing wells

Great big dresses, shiny dresses,

veils

All the patriachal history of marriage (Though I AM changing my name, and my dad is 'giving me away'... but I am slightly unsure/begrudging about both ?)

'just married' bikinis/flipflops

'bride' t shirts to wear while getting ready

naff hen nights/penises (I reckon willies are funny in every context except the hen do)

People who are not in the slightest bit religious suddenly deciding to become so because they want to get hitched in church.

Those mother of the bride outfits wot someone else posted ?

The idea that the bride has to control every last thing - I don't care what my mother or his mother wears! And the bridesmaids can wear whatever shoes are comfortable for them - even if they don't all match!

I think I'll stop now before I decide never to go to another wedding (my own included) again ?

I do like weddings really - good food, plenty of dancing, a chance to dress up and meet lots of people, and a little bit of good old fashined romance - ?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to carry a spare pair of pants around with me in primary school when I was about 5 for some reason (I never pee'd myself btw) and I just know my dad will mention this!

• Monkeybear959
    Beginner June 2008
    Monkeybear959 ·
    • Hide content

I'm gonna be brutally honest now...

here's the big things.....

I hate the family politics and the arguments. Mum and I didn't speak for two weeks over an argument about whether or not our parents walk out of the church with their husbands and wives or whether they did the interfamily mixing thing.

I hate it when things in a wedding don't suit each other... like a very expensive big dress in a football club venue with it's crests and shirts on the walls. It doesn't look right to me.

I hate that it brings the worst out in people you know and love - i lost my two best friends, one because she was being so bloody rude about our choices and telling us were always wrong so basically voted with her feet and walked (i admit i did give her a gentle shove) and the other because she was jealous that she wasn't the bride anymore so she lost interest then didn't come because she felt fat!

I hate the two months after the wedding as you don't know what to do with yourself anymore.

And the little things...

I dont like paper confetti

I don't like rice being thrown (it practically cooked in my dress through the day!)

I don't like the bridesmaids walking behind the bride... you've asked them to do this for you, give them their moment and don't hide them behind you!

I don't like the bit after the meal and before the evening - that can be an awkward moment in the day for guests

We did this actually, we made a list of all the things we didn't want at the wedding, mine and H's was almost identical. So we knew from the offset what both of us wanted out of our day.

• S
    Beginner
    soon2bsummers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*blows a HUGE rasberry* - PARTY POOPERS!!!!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Have just thought of something else..............

• hely08
    Beginner September 2009
    hely08 ·
    • Hide content

Things i dont like :

Chair Covers - waste of £ look nice for entry but then end up half hanging off in a mess

marquee weddings - lots of hassle and nearly always have a lumpy and dangerous floor !

a- z info things - why tell people stuff they dont need to know just to fill a letter

parents interfering instead of helping !! i.e. trying to make me have a,long veil because she wishes she had one - I WANT A SHORT VEIL!

expensive and overly fussy favours

people who EXPECT their children can come - with no thought for space, cost or OUR decision.

parents who dump their kids at wedding and focus on having a good time and forget to watch them !

sorry if ive offended any one !! ooops !!

I love:

Fizz !! ummmmmmm

live bands that get the party going

realaxed and fun weddings - i.e not stressy brides - if someone spills a drink on my dress during the party its not the end of the world it will prob come out and im fairly unlikely to wear my dress again !!!

hely xx

• hely08
    Beginner September 2009
    hely08 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

? thats horrible !! imagine of someone got a photo

• vikki-04/07/09
    Beginner July 2009
    vikki-04/07/09 ·
    • Hide content

I Love this tread, My Hates are ....

• balloons - in anyway shape or form
    • dove/butterfly release - WHY !!
    • Toastmaster - the ones in the red suits - our dj is annoucing our speeches but i dont want the formal rubbish
    • Marqueee weddings
    • pink at weddings - as in too much of it
    • lilic - but i hate the colour purple anyways not just at weddings
    • hats - i hate hats
    • OTT mother of the bride outfits
    • A chav dj - one that talks far to much, i am paying u to play music not to tell me you life history
    • lillys for flowers
    • people who dont go to church but have a church wedding - we go to church almost every week so its special to us
    • money poems
    • gift list

Think thats it *runs and hides now*

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

I hate:

tacky hen nights - no pinkness, willies, L plates, strippers or anything particularly crude for me please!!

so called wedding etiquette - who was it that decided wedding invitations should be sent out 6 weeks (no less and no more!) beforehand? I'll send them out whenever I want!! And people saying that so and so' s outfit must match/clash/ co-ordinate with bridesmaid,best man, 3rd cousin etc etc People can wear whatever they like!

Family politics - don't even get me started!

And breathe

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh....here we go.......

Horseshoes

Garters

Artificial flowers

Tacky SIlver rose ring holders

Ring Pillows

Cakes in the shape of castles

horse drawn carriages

white tights / stockings

wedding singers

Cheesy DJ

Recieving lines

Master of Ceremonies / Toast Masters

Bonbonnieres

Butterflies

Doves

Twee Cake toppers...ie bride and groom made to look like the bride and groom - they just don't!

Cakes in shapes of suitcases

Money Poems

Camera's on tables - everyone has gone digital!

Love hearts

L Plates / veils / Strippers / Willies / Boobs on Hen / Stag do's!

OK...Think I best stop!!! I

• bridgetvictoria
    Beginner April 2010
    bridgetvictoria ·
    • Hide content

And with reference to the church thing, people who NEVER go into a church other than for weddings and christenings and then COMPLAIN when they have to pay, what £350 to have the service there. AND it's ALWAYS the people who pay £70000000000000000000000000000000000000 pounds for the reception venue who complain most and then quibble about paying bell ringers and organists and stuff.

Humph!!!!!?

• K_Jackson_In_Waiting
    Beginner July 2011
    K_Jackson_In_Waiting ·
    • Hide content

omg they're horrendous!!! why would anyone ever use one?!!

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You'll have to be more specific.. there are a number of things in this picture you could be referring to! ?

• milna
    Beginner May 2009
    milna ·
    • Hide content

I can only assume Zippy must be referring to brides with palm trees growing out of their heads ... ridiculous! ?

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

My guess is the chimney sweep!

Can I add my vote for ring pillows.

And also people who have millions of bridesmaids?

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Women who show off too much cleavage!!!!!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

My eyes!!!!!

• vikki-04/07/09
    Beginner July 2009
    vikki-04/07/09 ·
    • Hide content

Oh and tacky cake toppers

• debbydoo
    Beginner May 2009
    debbydoo ·
    • Hide content

Ali that picture looks like an extended version of the Sound of Music!

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

It's this sort of thread that makes me love hitched!!!

Things I hate about weddings:

• People who get married in a church just for pretty pictures;
    • Spending loads of money on a dress that will be worn only once;
    • Money poems - just gross...
    • Horse and carriage
    • Family politics
    • Brides who end up looking like a Barbie doll princess!
    • People trying to out do each other with their wedding planning

Things I love about weddings:

• The romance of it all - I always blub at a ceremony (soppy old me!)
  • bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

Omg soooo many things to add. and i know i'm probably going to offend here, but hey, i don't care, i like some of things on here others dislike - that's life!

• money poems - excrutiatingly embarassing. just be straight!!!
    • plastic silver tat masquerading as lucky horseshoes
    • diamante bride t-shirts or knickers or (even worse) tracksuits
    • people getting married in churches despite not being religious because 1, its traditional, 2, it's a family members wish, 3, you get pretty photos - why why why would you want to say the most important words in your life to a god that you don't think exists?!?!
    • brides that have their wedding organised before they are even engaged
    • balloon decorations - tacky and cheap looking
    • my mum thinking this is *her* wedding
    • tacky cake toppers
    • anything penis related on the hen night

i think i had better stop now......

*backs away from the thread, awaits barrage of abuse and rotten tomatoes...*

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Loving this thread.....just wondering how many hitchers are say there going "I'm having a plastic horseshoe!"

Hope nobody with a nervous disposition reads this!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics