Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

The Sock Chicken
Beginner August 2010

Things you secretly (or not so secretly) hate about weddings - Take 2

The Sock Chicken, 4 of February of 2009 at 23:00

Posted on Planning 99

Ok, I know this has been done before.....and it was so much fun the first time around, plus we have lots of newbies since then.....so here we go............. (And remember its a bit of fun so dont be offended if someone lists something you are having...we don't all have the same tastes) I (not so...

Ok, I know this has been done before.....and it was so much fun the first time around, plus we have lots of newbies since then.....so here we go.............

(And remember its a bit of fun so dont be offended if someone lists something you are having...we don't all have the same tastes)

I (not so secretly) hate receiving lines, chocolate fountains, money poems, plastic horseshoes, sweetheart tables and willy stuff on hen nights

Your turn............

99 replies

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content

I agree with all of the ones mentioned!

I'd like to add...

"Save the date" cards - Don't see the point - just send out the invitations in plenty of time - if you have already arranged the date and time then why tell people twice! - when I get one it just seems to me a waste of time and money

So much "stuff on the dinner table (flowers, favours, balloons,sprinkled stuff-my pet hate!) that there is no room to relax to eat the meal.

Chair covers - total waste!

Blown up pictures of the bride and groom adorning the reception - we know what you look like!!!!

Brides who drop the words "my wedding planner" into all conversations.

Bridezillas in general. - just relax and enjoy it!

Posed photographs or the ones like the bride being lifted and held sideways by all the male party - also pictures of just the rings, or shoes - "arty photos" that are wonky - spend half your time looking at them with your head tilted!

I could go on for ever!

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

Can I just say that when this thread started last night I knew it was going to cheer me up when I got home tonight. had the WORST day and am now chuckling away reading this with a large glass of vino!

made me all ? now

• A
    Beginner June 2009
    Alleycat ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, here goes!!

Balloon displays - arches, centrepieces, you name it
    Tack and too much bling
    Dresses with yards and yards of satin - don't know why but just really hate satin!
    Ridiculously large dresses - think American Dream type of thing
    Horsedrawn carriages
    Top hats, livery etc
    Everything matching - will guests really turn up clutching their invites to check that they match perfectly the table plan, bridesmaids knickers etc
    Morning suits - mainly the cravats
    Posh guest lists with nothing reasonably (£10-20) priced on them
    Harpists
    People trying to be quirky because they think that this is how everyone sees them already

God I sound sooo bitchy!!

The following link kinda sums up a lot of what I hate, wear sunglasses if you are of a nervous disposition (shamelessly nicked the link from another forum)!

http://www.heatworld.com/Article/7790/Oh.+My.+God.+You+HAVE+to+see+these+wedding+photos%E2%80%A6

• cheska
    Beginner May 2009
    cheska ·
    • Hide content

OMG those Bridesmaid dresses!! There are no words!!!

• A
    Beginner June 2009
    Alleycat ·
    • Hide content

The little girls in pink with fur coats that look like they belong to their grannies is the most scary thing I think I have ever seen. But you're right, those bridesmaid dresses are horrendous! I keep wondering what the passengers on the bus must be thinking!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Its the lucky chimney sweeps!!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats not even cleavage thats just disgusting! who on earth thinks that is a good look on their wedding day? imagine if your grandparents or new in laws saw you looking like that!

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that she's trying to get away with a strapless number and her boobs are far too big for the scraps of material to contain - not that I'm looking closely or anything! ?

H2B said that it looks like the brothers from Right Said Fred are hiding in her dress!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hahahaha! Your H2B has a point!

• S
    Beginner July 2009
    Sh7583 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my god! She is wearing my dress. Well so far You all hate my wedding plans.

Im having chair covers, getting married in a marque and wearing that exact dress. ( well two of those statements are true).

Anyway to add a bit of variety to the thread heres my opinion for what its worth.

Sorry to be the boring fluffy one but I was listening to some people talking about a wedding they had been to recently and they were saying how rubbish it was and that thay left early cos it was crap. It really pXXXsd me off.

In my opinion you go to someones wedding because you care about the person and want to help them celabrate there day, there are many things that I would not have at my wedding that my friends/family or work friends might have but i would not slag it off to other people after. I certainly dont go to a wedding thinking that it is the hosts job to make my day/night enjoyable. I am there for them and will make sure i have a good time. I certainly dont think you should pay for everyones drinks as one person suggested. Its a bit different than them coming round to your house for a meal. More like you all going out for a meal together but it was you who suggested it. In that senario they would surley not expect you to buy their meal and drinks just maybe get a round in.

I know it is just a bit of fun. So really do you think I should change my dress then????????????????????????

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

Glad there's only a few things mentioned that I am doing!

My list;

Head tables, or sweet heart tables too for that matter

The whole fairytale/ princess thing - you're not a princess, and you're also not 6 years old.

Colour co-ordinating everything.

Invitiations - ok so they need to be more than a side of A4, but I honestly can't remember any of the invitations I've received before.

Money poems

Chocolate fountains

Releasing of animals (see above fairytale!)

No kid rules due to noise, due to cost I can understand, but not noise, they're only kids they'll make more people laugh during the day than they will upset you!

White/cream suits for men. Especially if linen.

Hmm, thought I'd have more but he whole fairytale thing kind of covers most of it.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Only if your boobs do that in it! or get a bigger size! i'm sure it will look fantastic on you though

• KEG
    Beginner February 2009
    KEG ·
    • Hide content

Oh funny thread!!

Tacky hen nights

People dictating what you should have and how wrong it is not to have kids there

Silk flowers

meringue dresses

plastic horse shoes

People saying 'aww bet you dreamt of this day all your life, you'll look like a princess!'- er no!

Venues mark up of champagne

Bridezillas, dictating how guests/ bmaid s will dress etc

People not RSVP ing (pet hat)

Ring pillows

The church thing that most have mentioned (hypocritical!)

Animal releases

Limo s for weddings

Brides who follow the traditional route to the end, but don't bother to send thank you cards out.

Hmm loads more I am sure.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

What about this?

• Laura_Lee
    Beginner
    Laura_Lee ·
    • Hide content

Oooh this should be fun.... <make herself comfy to sit back and watch>

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Erm....are they Goldfish?!?

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my god... had forgotten about these...

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Errr yes they are goldfish and don't they erm make a lovely centrepiece?

(try typing that with a straight face)

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

If I had them at my wedding, they'd all be dead by the end of it!!

Why!?!?!?!?

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

[:'(] ?

OTT Tiara's too....you're not a princess!

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, and a genuine hate, that really makes my blood boil.....Wedding photographers who do this....Its not clever, it just looks naff!

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

???

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm so with you on this one!

• B
    bobbly1 ·
    • Hide content

Types of photos I dislike

The "wonky" arty photo

http://www.weddingbandnorthernireland.co.uk/assets/wedding-band-main-image.jpg

http://www.pixiesinthecellar.co.uk/images/weddings.jpg

The "rings photo

http://weddingphotos.andrewsansom.com/data/images/wedding-rings-b&w(1)_1.jpg

and the ones where all the men throw their top hats in the air at the same time!

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I hate the ones where all the men wear sunglasses and look like they're in the mafia or something.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure most of these have been covered and that I'll no doubt piss someone off but hey ho ?

- Sweetie bars/candy buffets - just the name makes me itch. If I wanted to invite my friends to a party and give them pick and mix then I'd have done it when I was 10.
    - Horse shoes/black cat things that you hold with your bouquet - I know people are just being kind but I think they look naff.
    - Being different or quirky - it's a wedding, there's a limit to what you can do to make it different or unusual and most of the ideas I read now are just bloody ridiculous.
    - People commenting on big budgets - if I want to spend £20k on a dress or champagne (I'm not) then that's between me, my OH and my conscience. I wouldn't be rude enough to make a comment about someone spending £100 on a dress yet it seems that you are fair game for a dig if you want to splash out.
    - Hog roast - the thought of a spit roasted pig (fnar) being on display all evening makes me feel a bit ick.
    - Wedding bands - over priced and damn near impossible to find one who gigs so you can hear them in advance. Why would I want to spend upwards of £1k on a band I've never heard play?
    - Matchy matchy - shoot me now, my invitations do not match the bridesmaid dresses.
    - Top hat and tails - I hate them and fortunately so does my OH. They look a bit dated and 80's to me.
    - Vintage wedding cars - I want air conditioned, reliable luxury. Not some 50 year old banger that stinks of moth balls and will have me sweating like a pig.
    - Cake toppers - I don't know why I don't like them
    - Putting gift list details in evening invitations - I'm not a huge fan of gift lists anyway but I do find it pretty cheeky and presumptuous to include them in an evening only invitation

Right, that's enough for now I think ?

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

What is going on here?!

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    stephandmike ·
    • Hide content

Having to invite people (mainly distant relatives) that we hardly ever see in place of friends I see everyday...GRRRR.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is absolutley vile

• B
    Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Funny, mine would be:

Brides who spray themselves orange, leaving me the uncomfortable decision when sorting her photo's whether to leave her orange, or make everybody else all blue and wibbly.

Predictable wedding speeches, I swear there is one website out there that everybody uses the same jokes from.

Calling out to a crowd of people, "Ladies and gentlemen the bride and groom have asked for a group shot of everybody, please could you make your way down towards me" to be greeted by a wall of blankly staring faces and incomprehension. "That's EVERYBODY please, if you can make your way towards me.....Everybody please....yes Miss that's right you are included in everybody...yes sir, you too...

That's pretty much it, despite going to so many I stil love weddings.

• debs1701
    Beginner
    debs1701 ·
    • Hide content

Ok...I really had to think about this

• BIG tiaras'
    • Dragged out speeches
    • Doves
    • Tacky wedding music
    • Tacky hen nights
    • Top hat & tails
    • Everything co-ordinating
    • Family bitchiness/politics
    • Fake cheesy grins
    • Women who try and "out shine" the bride...it's not their day!
    • Short Speeches
    • People who don't enjoy themselves or make an effort to...you don't spend all that money for some grumpy sh*te to mop around, if yur not going to make an effort don't go
    • Pictures of the male bridal party lifting the bride
    • Screaming kids running riot
    • Dresses that cost ££££'s, it's a bit much for 1 day
    • Really drunk brides/grooms/guests
    • REALLY big dresses, don't do anyone any justice
    • Wedding planners - they are only in it for the money and it takes the ecitement out of getting married in the first place

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics