Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Panjita
Beginner May 2011

Uplighters?

Panjita, 24 of March of 2011 at 15:05 Posted on Planning 0 35

Has anyone used uplighters to transform their function room? We've had a quote today of £152 to have uplighters all around the room to match our colour scheme. I absolutely love the idea but with us getting married a few weeks before summer solstice (light evenings etc) I can't imagine whether they would have the same dramatic effect I would like.

Do you think it would be a waste of money?

(it would give this kind of effect on a smaller scale)

35 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 20 of April of 2011 at 13:02
  • Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

nooooooooooooooooo!! ours are included in our DJ's price and completley change the room!! They are on during the day too and youd be surprised at how different they make the place, il try and find the pics!!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I use uplighters. I did a conservatory of a castle last year in the middle of summer and unfortunately they were hardly noticeable until 10 oclock. Saying that, it does depend on your function room. Some rooms I do with less natural light, the uplighters are just as effective in the daytime.

Uplighters do give a lovely ambience to a room.... and that is a very good price you've been quoted too.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Im having uplighters!!! I love them - think they are nicer than seeing the 'dots' of fairy lights - mine are costing way more than that though so i'd def grab them!

This is my room:

And the colour of uplighting im having ...and my sparkly table linen....I love it!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Ah great, I think I might go for it then.

It's a discounted price because they have a deal with the venue and the room is not huge and has windows all down one side so we'll only need about 12 lights.

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

WOW mine were £99 for 6! But I needed 12 so they are charging me £175.

I think they can really make a difference. Plus as our evening do is in a hall, it'll brighten it up the bland walls without much effort on my part! xxx

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am having uplighters. we are having 8 for 95 pounds. Our evening function room doesn't have a lot of natural light so they will create a lovely soft effect around the room. Thinking of getting them for my birthday party too.

• L
    Beginner September 2011
    leannefreddie ·
    • Hide content

I really want uplighters, not sure where to get them from?? will companys deliver whereever, i havent seen any around where i live, thanks

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Ooooo I like these. Never seen them before.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

I *did* have a special offer with booking from Hitched where I would provide 4 uplighters.

I provide this as a service, and have sometimes left them "off" until the ambeint light is lower - this gives a fantastic "wow" effect.

When we viewed our venue, I spotted a shelf around the room (which is doomed & round), and will be asking our DJ to add some of my uplighters to wash the dome with colour.

This will look great - so really looking forward to seeing the effect when we get back into the room.

The price you've been quoted is very good. Its actually a reasonable amount of work to set these lights up neatly, so you've got a good deal!

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your DJ should be able to provide them! Some DJ's might hire them out separately if you arent having a DJ? Might be worth contacting some local DJ's.

xxx

• LondonWeddingDJ
    LondonWeddingDJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

£300 for 6 is AWFULY expensive.

Uplighting or Venue Moodlighting really does set an ambiance and adds a wow factor!

Have a good think about the service because a lot of DJs are quite fair with their prices on uplighting (apart from the guy charging £300 for 6!!!)

Regarding having your wedding in the summer thats the beauty of uplighting, during the day your guests wont really notice the effect however as the day becomes night the room transforms with colour!

Adam

• green-claws-entertainment
    green-claws-entertainment ·
    • Hide content

Prices can vary dramatically depending on what type of uplighters are provided. You can buy them for as little as £30 each or upto £300 for wirless battery operated ones.

You also have to think about the effect that they will create. Some companies will only keep them on a fixed colour whereas others will have full controll over them via a lighting controll desk or computer.

Find out exactley what you are getting for your money. And also confirm what time they will be set up, and if its going to be done in the turn around that they know exactley how long they have as they can take a while to get looking neat and Tidy.

As an idea on pricing we charge £125 for 8 Units, £225 for 16. So the priceing you have been give is about average from my own research.

Hope you enjoy them Smiley winking

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Green Claws Entertainment

Hi, you are doing my wedding disco ?

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Wow, there are some really expensive packages here!! Fortunately my DJ includes uplighters to match the colour scheme, starlit backdrop and lighting effects within the wedding disco package all for £399.

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Where are you ? I am in Hertfordshire and would like the pink uplighters for our reception. I am very keen !

• CupcakeQueen
    Beginner January 2011
    CupcakeQueen ·
    • Hide content

We hired them from our venue at £15 each- they looked fab!

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi OldGal,

I've based in also Hertfordshire and can provide this as a service.

The set-up is the most difficult part to get right, and ensuring they are used for best effect is also important.

If you contact me tomorrow, I'll be happy to call you for a brief chat.

Jason

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

Am i the only one that doesn't like these?? ?

We get them anyway at our venue no extra in cost, they are also in the room where we have a meal, they were really happy about them and showing us that we can have any colour to match our colour scheme......i didn't have the heart to tell him to turn then off....?

• LondonWeddingDJ
    LondonWeddingDJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats (in my opinion) the right price for Uplighting, we charge £15 per unit ?

And with regards to Snuggle-Bum it all comes down to provrence really doesnt it, If everyone liked one thing the world become a very boring place?

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats why things like this should be anoptional extra. Nothing is ever to everyones taste. I know of a venue that has fixed fairy lights in every conceivable nook and cranny (and over the ceiling). I think they look ghastly but one of my brides thought they were absolutely 'wow'...see....differing tastes!

• O
    Beginner October 2011
    oldgal ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the chat Jason. You were very helpful Smiley smile

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Thank! Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

In the evening, the focal point is often a the DJ end (ie dancers and normal disco lighting), you may not need too many uplighters.
    To uplight an entire room will be costly due to installation time, but to have them in the wall behind the DJ is normally a far simpler install (no doorways to manage)

It sounds like the black star-cloth is required, and I would recommend calling a few hire companies who can advise and provide a package for you.

In the first instance, chat with the DJ about his lighting, and also if he is sub-contracting the extra lighting out. As he will already be there, he should be pretty competitive.

It was good to speak to you too! All the best for your wedding ?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I wonder whether we could get away with something like this from Ikea for about a fiver each?

https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50139877/

Might have to pick a couple up and get some coloured bulbs to see if it works?

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

A couple (OK a few) problems I can foresee:

They could be unstable in a room full of people milling around (especially those that might have had one too many!)

Bulbs run hot. The lights that DJs use are generally LED so are super safe and run cold.

With a bulb you might not be able to get the exact colour or hue. DJ uplighting is programmed such that we can alter it to any shade you want. (Black is a no no and some colours are harder than others). Also, later on in the night you might want your uplighters to do more than stay on one colour (we can have them soft fading or doing chase patterns)

Putting in uplighters.... or any kind of lighting....round a room requires some imaginative cabling and sometimes a rediculous amount of extension cables (which DJs have an abundance of)

Hope that helps

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I'm pretty sure "too much alcohol" isn't going to be an issue at our wedding, by design Smiley smile

I take your point about bulbs running hot, and wonder whether energy saving bulbs plus coloured acetate (like they use in theatre lighting) might work.

Not too bothered about 'the exact' colour, green of some description will be good enough I think. As we aren't having a disco I don't know about fading or chase patterns being useful.

Just had a look at our wedding pack and our room has 10 sockets around the room which I reckon will probably be plenty, and I take your point about dangly cabling and trip hazards.

Our room is quite nice in its own right, and I don't think we really need things like uplighters or chair covers as essential items - it might be a 'conference room in a hotel' but it certainly isn't cold and clinically so. We're just thinking of ways to add a little sparkle and light to the room without breaking our already fairly tight budget.

As much as I'd love to spend £1000 or whatever on "room decorating", unless we both get second jobs and/or a lottery win, it ain't gonna happen!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

AJ.... if you do go down the DIY route, don't forgt to get a reel of gaffa tape.... not only for health and safety reasons but also for aesthetics.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mean Coloured Gaffa Tape, Sandy? ?

I've only got 2 colours ☹️

Check with the venue before going DIY on anything electrical. Some venues need any electrical gear to be tested for safety (PAT). Its another level of paperwork and expense.

They may also require insurance (PLI), again paperwork and expense - some venues are lax and some require this before allowing anything to be installed. These are not that expensive for a DJ, but for a 1-off occasion would work out expensive.

Any problems due to your supplied equipment, may mean a damages claim. Its very unlikely, but if you're going DIY with lights not suitable for the job, then the risk increases.

Getting them from a AV Hire company should not be too expensive. If you have about 1hr on the day of your wedding, then I guess DIY is an option. If its a very small wedding, then 4 or 6 may be ok, so fairly low cost.

I also dry-hire my up-lighters (sometimes to other DJ's, and other services), which is where clients collect the lights, and drop off the following day (they install).

• Hide content

Hi JoJo

I had to look in the diary to see who you were ?

Hope all of your Wedding Plans are going well. Will have to give you a call soon just to touch base with everything.

• Hide content

So many familiar faces,

Hello to Sandy and to Jason and To JoJo,

Old Gal - Sent you an email feel free to give me a call or pm me your number and i can call you tomorrow (i thinki can provide everything you need).

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We checked this a while ago and PAT testing is not required - after all, if you bring things into the hotel and stay in your room with them PAT isn't needed so why should it be for a function room? It's not "open to the public" but invited guests only too.

We have wedding insurance.

It would be for the evening event, not just an hour. It starts at 5.30pm and goes on till 11.30pm or thereabouts. Current numbers are 117 for the evening and the hall is 22m x 9m so 'half a dozen' probably won't be enough.

We aren't having an evening disco but a barn dance instead, thus there won't be "lots of other flashing lights".

Just for comparison purposes, given that size of room (about 1/3 will be required for the band and dance area), how many lights would you recommend and roughly what would you charge for this 'dry hire'? The venue is near Lyndhurst, New Forest so I realise that may be well beyond the bounds of practicality for you anyway but it might be interesting to compare.

• S
    Beginner
    SoontobeMrsSSmith ·
    • Hide content

Strictly speaking the examples you've shown are not uplighters, then are simply just spot lights facing upwards. Uplighters are very different.

These days for health and safety and green reasons they are often just super bright LEDs

My fiance runs a company that makes custom lighting, so I know all of this quite well.

and the other thing I'd worry about is that this kind of lighting is most effective as a contrasting colour, if you have it the same as your colour scheme theme, then everything may just look the same. This is why they are often used in very high impact reds, purples, blues etc.

Often these lights are not very strong, because they are used to lift and provide contrast into dark shadowy areas, if you have a well lit room, you probably will barely see them.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I have just started thinking about this, I have had a quote for £400 for a dj and uplighting, it was good to read everyone's comments on this ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics