Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Missus S

Wearing black to a wedding

Missus S, 13 July, 2012 at 14:32 Posted on Planning 0 45

I cant remember if theres a 'rule' about this. Or was that red?

A few girls wore black dresses to mine and didnt bother me, but do some brides get funny about it?

45 replies

Latest activity by Vanilla Pod, 21 July, 2012 at 17:44
  • Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Personally, I'd be bloody livid if someone wore black to my wedding. And don't even get me started on cream & white...

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha!

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

What's so wrong with black? I've got an evening dress that is black with giant silver flowers and has silver detailing on the hem and I team it with silver shoes/bag.... I've worn that outfit to a wedding more than once! Is that wrong?? I can understand the severe no-no of white/ivory, but surely black - as long as it's not sombre funeral-type attire, is ok?

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is this to do with that other thread or you being serious ?

FWIW its a genuine q im not winding anyone up ?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Literally nothing is wrong with black.

I also had guests who wore cream/ivory. If it doesn't look like a wedding dress why would it matter?

Ali's joking because of the previous thread.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

Oh God, don't start this topic off again...!

(See 'Unusual Wedding Invitation Requests' thread)

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I'm only messing.

Honestly, I didn't think there WAS a rule on what to wear at weddings. Black is lovely and, despite apparent beliefs, it's not just a funeral colour.

And nobody is going to upstage the bride if they wear white or cream. She's the bride for flaming hell's sake. Even Elvis couldn't upstage her on her big day. Well, maybe if it was the *real* Elvis.

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Ooooh ok yeah I hadn't read that other thread (only cos I saw how long it was and haven't had time!!!) forget I said anything!

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I think it has less to do with the colour and more to do with the style. Dressing the same as you would for a funeral is different to jazzing up a black dress with colourful accessories (In my cabbage?) Also a white/cream dress is ok, unless it's a long bridal looking dress.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You should. It's a cracking read and classic Hitched!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

Oh good. I gathered something was going on when i saw that thread had 250 posts ?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I genuinely thought this was a p1ss take thread, to make all our Friday's a bit more exciting!!

I thought it was too much of a coincidence to be serious, haha!

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

No soz! Just too lazy to read through all that...

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

I wore a black bridesmaid dress a couple of years ago! The grannies were a bit ? about it and had a bit of a moan but the dresses went really well with the bride's dress.

I would consider wearing black if I was an evening guest but maybe not as a day guest as to me black is an eveningy colour.

• O
    Beginner September 2013
    oggers86 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My stepmum wore white to my friends wedding and I was utterly horrified (my friend didnt mind in the slightest, sensibly saying, well she looks nothing like me and its obvious who the bride is..)

After reading that other thread I am not so fussed about people wearing right because like you say, nobody can upstage the bride, even if they wore a big flashing neon sign saying "look at me"

I had visions of myself attending a wedding in a stunning black dress but ended up being a bridesmaid..

Anyway nobody can upstage me, I am amazing ?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I wasn't fussed about people wearing black to my wedding (and if they did, I didn't notice). I think a completely white/cream dress is rude, but other clothing (e.g. white linen trousers etc), or a white dress which is heavily patterned is okay.

If I was attending someone else's wedding I have to say I just wouldn't wear white, cream or black. I mean in block colours anyway, things like a black dress with big red flowers on isn't the same as "a black dress" to me. I have a lovely red dress with white dots on it which I would wear as I don't think this breaks the 'no white' rule.

If I had to stop and think "would this offend someone" then I just think it's easier not to wear it, and to wear something else instead.

• T
    teaparty2011 ·
    • Hide content

No, please not this one again! I still haven't quite recovered from the other thread.

All I'm saying is that I'm am wearing a black (with other colours) dress to my daughter's wedding and the bride loves it.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You lazy sod Missus, it is pretty friggin hilarious and worth a read if you have a spare half n hour.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know. Im searching the net for shoes to go with my black dress ?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, I wouldn't consider it rude. Ignorant yes, but not rude.

Some people just don't think, but I doubt anyone would purposely set out to wear white/cream in a bid to upstage the bride. Well, no one I know would anyway.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I meant more along the lines of "hmm, what shall I wear? I'll wear this white dress and just hope no-one minds". Why not just go for something else? But I do also think that being unthinking can be rude also (not always, there are exceptions). I would always think about it before deciding what to wear to a special event and I think that it's basic good manners, even just to make sure you don't turn up in something inappropriate.

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My aunty's mum wore a long slinky ivory dress, that was rude and selfish I thought, but she's a mental case and was definitely trying to upstage the bride! Who in their right mind would want to upstage their own daughter on her wedding day?!!

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content

Well my mum is wearing black to my wedding! She's then got silver hat, shoes and bag!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lovely dress. I think wearing white/cream is a bit of a faux pas, but I really don't see what's wrong with black. If I found out someone coming to my wedding was wearing white I'd probably be a bit annoyed, but I'm sure on the day I wouldn't even notice and couldn't care less what the guests are wearing.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Oh no

*runs and hides*

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! Do you have a big enough hat to hide behind James ?

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha ?

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• xMissyLoux
    Beginner September 2012
    xMissyLoux ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Peanut! My mum really struggled to find an outfit and this was the only thing within her budget she found that she liked! Hopefully it appears more wedding than funeral! As long as she's happy that's all I care about!

• B
    Beginner August 2012
    BatsGirl ·
    • Hide content

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest but the I also don't see what the fuss is over ivory/cream, no guest will look more stunning than the bride so I don't think it should matter.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Seriously?

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my goodness. I can't see how the bride wouldn't stand out anyway, everyone at the wedding knows who the bride is so I really don't see what the problem is.

I seriously think some people perceptions of priority are completely messed up.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics