Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

HLT
Beginner August 2012

Who walks down the aisle first?

HLT, 25 May, 2012 at 09:57 Posted on Planning 0 34

I always thought the bride walked down first with her father, followed by the bridesmaids, but my recent research seems to be showing the opposite! Whats "on trend"?!!

34 replies

Latest activity by eeyoring, 27 May, 2012 at 12:57
  • B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

I always thought that too but since I started WP it seems everyone does it the other way round now. I think its an American thing. Personally I prefer it BMs first cos then I get to make a bigger entrance!

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Do you reckon? I would have thought the bride made a bigger entrance if she came first, no?

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Traditionally UK = bride first, US = bridesmaids first.

Im in a quandry as I dont want my OH's view of me to be obscurred by my BM and FG, but would like them to go first! Think I'm gonna wait until the BM's are 3/4 way down before I go then I'll only be hidden for a bit, we have a huge aisle!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I will be getting my bridesmaids to go down first, fingers crossed I'll be getting married outside so OH will have plenty time to see me Smiley smile

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content

Im having "Pachelbel Canon & Gique in D Major" play while the BMs walk down, then the Bridal March will start for me to make my entrance Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

I'm normally a fan of keeping to British traditions but my bridesmaids went first. I wanted them to have their moment to be honest. They looked stunning and I wanted everyone to give them their full attention.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

Yes as MrsJay2be says, I think the difference is a UK/US thing.

Personally though I think you should do whatever works best for you, bearing the venue in mind.

I think that I will go first. I´m getting married outside and have a really long "aisle" walk - probably about 40m, so if my BM goes first then I will pretty much be obscured the whole way.

Plus if she goes behind me then she can sort my train and veil out, which might end up all over the place given that we´ll be outside.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this. The BMs spend such a long time and a lot of effort getting ready and I know mine will look beautiful. As soon as the bride comes in, most people's eyes will be following her down the aisle, with perhaps a quick glance at the bridesmaids. I want my girls to have their entrance and I'll follow behind them.

• Pinky6
    Beginner June 2012
    Pinky6 ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids are going first for the same reasons as Kharv. They get to have their moment and the other guests can be kept waiting in suspense Smiley tongue

I think it really depends on your own personal preference, unless your venue only allows it a certain way.

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    Bee26 ·
    • Hide content

If the BMs are behind me people might be looking at them and not me! Im having them go first but I wont start walking down til their all at the front. They'll be the warm up act, ill be the main event! lol

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes, some churches insist on the traditional British way.

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

I think I'll be going first. Its my day to shine, something I never really get. All four of bridesmaids are more popular/prettier than me and always look beautiful. So on this instance I'm going to be selfish bridezilla and go first because I want everyone to look at me.

More importantly, I want to be the first person D sees and not the bridesmaids.

• Kili
    Beginner June 2012
    Kili ·
    • Hide content

I think the norm for a civil ceremony now is bridesmaids first whereas a church ceremony it's still the bride first.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not necessarily, but it depends on the minister and how flexible they are. When my sister told her vicar she wanted BMs first, she said "Hmm...the American way, but ok". She obviously wasn't keen, but let her do it anyway.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this, but plenty of others don't. I think if the BMs go first, sometimes it looks like they're just wandering down the aisle, it doesn't feel like a proper procession, though it depends on how you arrange it. My BMs looked gorgeous, but it felt right having them behind me and I don't think any of them felt they didn't get enough spotlight!

• Kili
    Beginner June 2012
    Kili ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh yeah I'm not saying it's not allowed for the bridesmaids to go first in church but I think it's still more common for the bride to go first.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My BMs went in first, two lots of two, followed by my Dad and I. Our aisle was fairly short so each pairing had reached the end before the next two came in. Also, there wasn't much room at the end of it, so any BMs behind me would have had to step over my dress, not ideal. I never thought of it any other way though - I like the tension building drama!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I will be going first, as gorgeous as my bridesmaids will look, it is my day and I want all the attention to be on me (after all im the one that has paid for it! ?) But it really is down to personal preference, I have been a bridesmaid and doen both and cant say I have ever felt any more or any less special either way. x

• Cakeisawesome
    Beginner October 2014
    Cakeisawesome ·
    • Hide content

I never actually realised there were differences between UK/US tradition tbh! I think unless your venue stipulates a certain way, you go with what feels right for you x

• jen_84
    Beginner August 2012
    jen_84 ·
    • Hide content

My bridesmaids will be going first. I want the tension to build!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I seem to be in the minority here, I really don't like the look of bridesmaids going first, can't put my finger on why. For me it would feel so wrong having them go in front of me. I went to a civil wedding last year where each bm walked down the aisle on her own before the bride and it just looked strange! Maybe if it was arranged better like they all walked down together that would look a bit better.

• B
    Brian Parkes LSWPP (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

I see it happening both ways, it's what you want really.

Only thing I would say is if your BM's are going first, leave a reasonable gap between you otherwise your photographer may not be able to get a clear view to photograph you coming down the aisle.

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, I'm even more confused now! It seems there is a difference of opinion here on which way gives the most dramatic entrance. I may ask OH if he has a preference and see if that sways the decision. Thanks all!

• S
    Beginner August 2013
    Sabriel ·
    • Hide content

I think that graceyfly is right, I'd like my bridesmaids at my back making sure train is ok etc. also to hold on if I try running! My nieces are flower girls, so they'll be going first to build the tension Smiley smile

• S
    SarahThompson ·
    • Hide content

I went first - mainly because I only had 2 anyway and one was my MOH/CB so she was there to sort out the train etc, going first she wouldn't be able to do that Smiley smile

Also, I wanted OH to have an unobstructed view of me - selfish I know lol

• ESW
    Beginner September 2012
    ESW ·
    • Hide content

I'm still trying to decide OH would like me first but the aisle is short and with the width of my dress I don't think the 6 BM's (3 little 3 Adult) will be able to get passed me.

I keep thinking about it and I come to the conclusion BM first but I won't go until last BM's are at the end. So I still get my big entrance.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I had no choice but to walk up after the bridesmaids.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

Carmen's BM's walked up first. In fact they walked one at a time, as we needed to meet the timing of her enterance song.

It worked well, and we were free to do this our way. We did have a fairly short isle (it wasn't a church), so on a traditional church with a long isle I guess this would not have worked and Carmen would have been obscured by her BMs.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I also have a very short aisle so I'm going to have my bridesmaids walk down first then I'll come in once they're at the front. If they walked behind me the whole procession would last about 30 seconds!

• Hypnopoison
    Beginner September 2012
    Hypnopoison ·
    • Hide content

I'm having my flower girl down first (if she will that is, she will be three by then so it is touch and go what she will do). Once she is all the way downMeir will be my turn followed by my two bridesmaids. Your bridesmaids should be behind you to ensure your dress is correct before you go down the aisle and also once you are at the end with your fiancé. They then need to be behind you to take your bouquet. I did a wedding where the BMs went first, we were directed into the chairs in the front row and the head bridesmaids was no where near the bride to take her bouquet!

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

no.

lol def not! bridesmaids should come first, then HERE COMES THE BRIDE! Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner September 2012
    Soon2bMrsMay ·
    • Hide content

I am having my bridesmaids walk down first, then me and dad!

As people have mentioned before it is partly because i would like people to look at them first, then see me walk in

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics