Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

A message from Mr Twiga

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 3 of April of 2014 at 13:10 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 188

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs.

She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and was determined to live each day to the full. She fitted more into her 28 years on this earth than many will in a lifetime and touched so many people in different ways, including many of you on here. Her passing so young is just a cruel and devastating waste. She leaves behind family and friends whose lives will never be whole ever again.

She was private about her illness much of the time but this is a vital opportunity to remind you all of the importance of cancer screening. Her death may well have been preventable had she been screened earlier and I know that she felt very strongly that her case should be held up as an example to highlight that nothing concerned with health is worth delaying for any reason whatsoever. Lives have been utterly shattered beyond repair and I would hate for that to happen to any of you or your loved ones.

I am sure that she has left her mark on this place like she has with all the places she visited (mainly due to her ludicrous clumsiness), and that her memory can live on here. Thank you for the kind messages you have sent me in recent days, to see how much she was loved by your community is truly a comfort.

Mr Twiga xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A footnote from Footlong: Over the past year, we have all been privileged to share time with Twiga. She filled our community with laughter and happiness, and not a small amount of sheer craziness. Even when her own battles were difficult, she showed compassion and kindness to those who needed it. The girl behind the giraffe was as beautiful, as funny and as vibrant in real life as she was here, and the loss to those who loved her is unimaginable. To Mr Twiga and the rest of her cherished family, I send my very best ((hug)).

In all this, there is a message that absolutely cannot be lost or ignored. However, it is not my message to give, it is Twiga’s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twiga/Thu Mar ****:38
#nomakeup selfies

*sensitive, but very important*

My whole cancer journey started with my first routine smear test that I had in 2011 when I was 25. I just had a letter from the GP drop through my letterbox and went along totally carefree. Needless to say the results that came back were just awful and I had two years of treatment/operations as a result of them. I had a blissful cancer-free period last year that I shall be eternally grateful for. However as of Jan 2014 the f*cker seems to have decided to spread upwards and outwards and I will not ever be able to say I am cancer free again.

I'm not saying this for the love (please don't actually - I feel the love already and I love you all back). I'm saying this out of a sense of duty that no one should have to deal with this and the thought that there are people out there who are not showing up for smear tests and the like really upsets me. I got 'called' at 25 and it should have been much earlier. I wish I had been 'called' at 23. I wish I had been 'called' at 19. Fark, I wish I had a friggin smear test everyday. So any Otters or lurkers reading this - get off your arses now (or at least first thing tomorrow) and please PLEASE get yourself booked in for a smear. And feel your boobs too,

Right, my Otter Rock and I shall now get off our soapbox and return to the party thread.

188 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 12 of May of 2014 at 15:11
  • Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

What dreadfully sad news. Thinking of Twiga and all who love her.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness this had made me shed a tear at my desk at work. It's just so so sad. ☹️

Twiga really will be missed here. I cannot imagine how her husband and family must be feeling.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

How very very sad. I was only discussing the very issue with my step-daughter to be and her friend. We too feel very strongly that smear tests should be offered to anyone who asks for one - not just because you're of a cartain age. Sad stories like this are preventable. Sad sad sad.

Of course heartfelt sympathies to Mr Twiga and anyone who knew Twiga.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

I'm shocked, I can't say I ever spoke personally to Twiga but I have been aware of her around here and was here to read her thread about her swollen hands and the gifts she received from this beautiful community. I'm shocked because although I didn't know her myself, I felt how important she was to so many people and it's simply heart breaking that she has been taken from all who love her. I don't know what else to say. Love to all her Otters. Love to her family. Love to Mr Twiga. xx

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

How terrible - what utterly saddening news for all who had the pleasure to know her, both in real life and through Hitched.

Much love to her family and friends during this sad time. Especially Mr Twiga. 28 is no age at all. I'm so so sorry for your loss.

The world will be a lesser place without her.

Footlong, thank you for letting us know. xx

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Wow, how awfully sad. Thinking of you all x

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

Thinking of you all. My heart just breaks x x

• N
    Beginner May 2015
    nixy3 ·
    • Hide content

Such sad news, I too am a firm believer in lowering the age for smear tests.

Much love to Mr Twiga and family xxx

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Such sad news. I've signed every petition I've come across to get the smear age reduced.

My thoughts go out to her friends and family. RIP Twiga xxx

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

I only started reading the OT forum about 2 months ago and came across one of Twigas threads about her swollen hands and her not finding any food to enjoy. I had no idea of her illness until then.

I am saddened to hear this awful news and only hope her husband and family can gain some small comfort from the fact that she had a lot of people on here who loved her very much.

She touched a lot lives, mine included, through talking about a family member who is also very poorly.

She will be sadly missed by all who knew her and those she touched in even the smallest of ways.

Sleep soundly Twiga.

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

How utterly devasting. I had no idea but thanks Footlong for sharing the sad news. My thoughts and love to Mr Twiga and her family and friends at this sad time.

• tayto
    Beginner May 2013
    tayto ·
    • Hide content

So saddened to read this update. Thinking of her husband, family & all her friends at this awful time. Much love to all the otters who knew her & thanks Footlong for letting us know x

• Perox
    Beginner October 2013
    Perox ·
    • Hide content

Such incredibly sad news. All my thoughts and wishes are with her friends and family. From what I saw on the boards, she came across as a wonderful person Xxx

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

What incredibly sad news ☹️

Love and hugs to those who were blessed to have known Twiga, both in person and on here.

Smears are something that are so easy to put off or ignore. Hopefully this will help offer a little reminder as to how vitally important they really are.

Thank you for letting us all know FTLOMB and for finding the right words. It can't have been easy.

• BarcaGirl25
    Beginner April 2014
    BarcaGirl25 ·
    • Hide content

How terribly sad.

My thoughts and prayers are with Twiga's family and friends

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

Such sad news. Rest in peace Twiga. ☹️

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

So sad. Rip twiga xx

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

One day, we will join her in Otter heaven and all have a drink together. We will be surrounded by wing mirrors and sellotape.

R.I.P beautiful Twiga. Never before has a giraffe been such an amazing otter.

xx

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

“The Giraffe”

A giraffe came by the willow tree
    Stopped to gaze and talk to me.
    For she was very lean and tall
    A pillar, a column, a walking wall.

And as she looked down upon my face
    Her eyes were wide two pools in space,
    As they engulfed, the countryside,
    The sky above, held me inside -
    Their special height and slant of things
    Their special view of every thing,
    And I could see by looking up
    The wealth within her loving cup
    That thinks and drinks the sun and sky
    And watches us from way up high.

And yet I found it sad to see
    That she could never reach down to me
    For she was too tall, too much ideal
    And I was too small, too much the real.

So, this angular figure, graceful and wise
    Of astounding vision and cool clear eyes
    Watched the sun rise, then watched it set
    Looked down on me and seemed to forget
    That I was as much a part of this scene
    As the sun in the sky, the oak in the green.

Then the willow tree watching standing near by
    Saw the distance between us and started to cry
    He bowed down his head touching the ground
    And from that day to this,
    it’s the way he'll be found.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

Thoughts go out to Mr Twiga and her family.

Rest in peace Twiga.

xxx

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

There are no words.

Goodnight Twiga. I'm glad I met you, albeit virtually.

x

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

Such sad news. My thoughts are with her friends and family xx

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

Funky, that is beautiful! Such heartbreaking news but I hope her message sinks in to those that put off their smears.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

This is such terribly sad news. I didn't know twiga but read many of her posts. My thought are with all those who knew and loved her.

This has acted as a kick up the bum for me. I cancelled my smear test a few months ago because I was I'll. I,m off to re-book it now.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

Love and deepest sympathies to Mr Twiga, Footlong and all that knew Twiga. So very, very sad.

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry for your loss Mr Twiga, and all of Twigas family. Lots of love and hugs being sent your way.

xxxx

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

There are no words for how sad this news is. Goodnight Twiga and May the sun shine wherever your spirit goes!

My condolences to Mr Twiga and family at this difficult time. xxx

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful words for a beautiful girl ? sadly missed and entirely unforgettable x love to you Mr Twiga and your family. Lovely poem Funky x

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Lots of love and sympathy to the whole Twiga family.x

• V
    Beginner September 2013
    Vix7913 ·
    • Hide content

As an OT lurker I am saddened to hear this news Smiley sad Thoughts are with Mr Twiga, their families and all the Otters who knew Twiga.

Hopefully Twigas story will encourage everyone to keep up to date with their smear tests and to anyone not 'entitled' to them yet to stamp your feet and raise your voice until you get the test you deserve!

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Very saddened to hear this. My thoughts are with twiga's family and friends. I can't understand why the smear test age is 25 in England but only 20 in Scotland. I hope this will be rectified in the near future.

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful words Footlong.

Such heartbreaking news and it's still taking a while to sink in that someone so beautiful & young, who gave us so many laughs isn't here anymore.

She touched all our lives and I feel blessed to have "known" her and even if only for a short time, she made me laugh, cry & think she was completely mad Smiley smile

I'm glad she is at peace and didn't suffer for a long time, i'll miss her comical stories and chats and i'm glad that she knew in her last few months that she was loved and cared for by our otter community.

Thoughts, prayers and big hugs to Mr Twiga and her family, and thank you to Mr Twiga for such beautiful words at what must be an awful time. We're all here for you, if ever you need us x

I hope some day we all see our tall otter again for a big otter party, in a much happier & peaceful place.

R.I.P our beautiful, tall otter. You will be missed more than you know ❤️ xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics