Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

A message from Mr Twiga

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 3 of April of 2014 at 13:10

Posted on Off Topic Posts 188

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs. She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and...

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs.

She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and was determined to live each day to the full. She fitted more into her 28 years on this earth than many will in a lifetime and touched so many people in different ways, including many of you on here. Her passing so young is just a cruel and devastating waste. She leaves behind family and friends whose lives will never be whole ever again.

She was private about her illness much of the time but this is a vital opportunity to remind you all of the importance of cancer screening. Her death may well have been preventable had she been screened earlier and I know that she felt very strongly that her case should be held up as an example to highlight that nothing concerned with health is worth delaying for any reason whatsoever. Lives have been utterly shattered beyond repair and I would hate for that to happen to any of you or your loved ones.

I am sure that she has left her mark on this place like she has with all the places she visited (mainly due to her ludicrous clumsiness), and that her memory can live on here. Thank you for the kind messages you have sent me in recent days, to see how much she was loved by your community is truly a comfort.

Mr Twiga xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A footnote from Footlong: Over the past year, we have all been privileged to share time with Twiga. She filled our community with laughter and happiness, and not a small amount of sheer craziness. Even when her own battles were difficult, she showed compassion and kindness to those who needed it. The girl behind the giraffe was as beautiful, as funny and as vibrant in real life as she was here, and the loss to those who loved her is unimaginable. To Mr Twiga and the rest of her cherished family, I send my very best ((hug)).

In all this, there is a message that absolutely cannot be lost or ignored. However, it is not my message to give, it is Twiga’s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twiga/Thu Mar ****:38
#nomakeup selfies

*sensitive, but very important*

My whole cancer journey started with my first routine smear test that I had in 2011 when I was 25. I just had a letter from the GP drop through my letterbox and went along totally carefree. Needless to say the results that came back were just awful and I had two years of treatment/operations as a result of them. I had a blissful cancer-free period last year that I shall be eternally grateful for. However as of Jan 2014 the f*cker seems to have decided to spread upwards and outwards and I will not ever be able to say I am cancer free again.

I'm not saying this for the love (please don't actually - I feel the love already and I love you all back). I'm saying this out of a sense of duty that no one should have to deal with this and the thought that there are people out there who are not showing up for smear tests and the like really upsets me. I got 'called' at 25 and it should have been much earlier. I wish I had been 'called' at 23. I wish I had been 'called' at 19. Fark, I wish I had a friggin smear test everyday. So any Otters or lurkers reading this - get off your arses now (or at least first thing tomorrow) and please PLEASE get yourself booked in for a smear. And feel your boobs too,

Right, my Otter Rock and I shall now get off our soapbox and return to the party thread.

188 replies

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

I've re-typed this message several times now. I'm so, so sad to read this. I didn't know Twiga personally, but loved seeing her cute avatar pop up :'( Such awful news. Sending lots of strength to family, and friends.

• G
    Beginner June 2014
    Grumps ·
    • Hide content

I don't post in OT very often, but do remember reading the thread that Twiga started when she received her surprise presents. She sounded like an inspirational lady surrounded by a lot of inspirational people (FTLOMB, if all Emmas were as "evil" as you the world would be a better place).

Deepest condolences to family and friends. At the cost of sounding like my 8-year-old, life's just not fair sometimes.

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely heartbreaking. My thoughts are with her family and friends xx

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

I have nothing to add other than my deepest sympathies for all who knew her. It sounds as if she touched many lives xx

• S
    Beginner September 2014
    Surfer Rosa ·
    • Hide content

Thank you to Mrs B for sharing this in Wedding Planning.

I didn't know Twiga but can tell from the warmth and love on here that she must have been very special.Completely heart breaking that such a beautiful life has been lost.

I was lucky enough to have my life saved due to being offered a smear at 21. If I had to wait another 4 years then mine would be a different story.

I had no idea that there had been any change in the screening process and will be actively supporting any organisations that are campaigning against these changes from now on. I will also be ensuring that my two eldest daughters have had their smear tests.

Sleep tight Twiga x

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Utterly heartbreaking news and a big wake up call. Mr Twiga we are so sorry for your unimaginable loss.

A smear test will be booked as soon as I can and I feel embarrassed not to have had one yet. Your girl will be in our hearts

Xxx

• *Eclair*
    Beginner August 2012
    *Eclair* ·
    • Hide content

I have no words. I'm so sorry for your loss Mr Twiga. Sending you lots of otter love and hugs.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I teared up reading this, she's was such a wonderful and beautiful person Smiley sad

• Cilla
    Beginner April 2012
    Cilla ·
    • Hide content

This is such a tragic loss to all who knew Twiga. She was a beautiful person inside and out, hilariously funny, sweetly clumsy, warm, caring and thoughtful.

She will not be forgotten, and I'll always smile when I see a broken wing mirror.

My deepest sympathies to Mr Twiga and Twigas family.

Sleep peacefully our tallest Otter xxx

• Ixia
    Beginner
    Ixia ·
    • Hide content

There are no words. This is so, so sad.

Sleep well Twiga and my sincerest sympathy to Mr Twiga and all of Twiga's family.

• C
    Beginner
    casgup ·
    • Hide content

Such sad, sad news. My condolences go out to all of her family and friends. Nothing more to say, but life is incredibly cruel.

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

This is the post that I have been dreading – I am so so sorry Mr Twiga.

I never had the pleasure of meeting Twiga in real life but feel blessed that I ‘met’ her on here. She made a massive impact on our Otter community by making us laugh and cry, and it is testament to her popularity how many replies this post has.

She was an amazing woman and was truly selfless, offering help and advice to anyone in need when she had so much going on in her own life.

I am so sorry for your loss Mr Twiga. I am wishing you, your families and friends lots of love and strength for now and the coming weeks.

Goodnight Twiga – sleep tight sweetheart. You will be missed ❤️

ETA - overdue smear test booked for Monday.

• lilacpearl
    Beginner August 2014
    lilacpearl ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to hear about this sad news. The love that is coming through this thread for Twiga I hope will be of some comfort for Mr Twiga.

I did not know her, but the sense of community on this site has made me want to pass on my condolences.

May Twiga rest in peace. My thoughts are with the family. Xxx

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

I am so so sorry on Mr Twiga, condolences to you and your family. She was a true inspiration to us all. A fun loving crazy otter and I am proud that I got to 'know' her.. Sleeptight twiga xx

• Tiny-Tiggs
    Beginner April 2012
    Tiny-Tiggs ·
    • Hide content

Don't really have any more words than those already said. The news was devastating, and unexpected, as these things always are.

Twiga was a wonderful girl and it's nice to see her good work carrying on with all those putter offers now booking tests, myself included.

RIP lovely xx

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Was brought here through the post on WP and didn't really know Twiga but this is such sad news, thoughts are with her family and friends at this sad time.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't add any more to this apart from wishing the family the strength to carry on.

Peter

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I wish I could say I knew Twiga better, and honestly had no idea that her illness was so serious, she was always so helpful and supportive of others on here, I personally, despite not knowing he deeply, feel touched that she spent time here with us despite everything going on in her life.

i am so sad that she is gone from this world, I am sat here crying at the thought of poor Mr Twiga who has to somehow cope with this huge loss. I hope he can see all the love there is here for him, his family and of course Twiga. I wish there we something we could do, too many people lose this awful battle and there seems no way to ease such a huge, worldwide pain. Rest in peace Twiga, you will greatly missed and always much loved.

• BowlingBride
    Beginner September 2012
    BowlingBride ·
    • Hide content

I can only echo the words of you all. My heart goes out to the Twiga family and all of her otter friends, you will be truly missed. Rest in peace Twiga xx

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I forgot to add, please, please, envy one do smears as and when you can, as soon as you can. I do mine every two years due to a family history and as much as I think I would rather not know and avoid it, in my heart I know if I can find out as soon as possible, I may be as lucky as my mum. I'm so sorry for everyone who isn't lucky, cancer is shi*tty and I only wish the were more we could do

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

So so sad. My heart goes out to all those left behind.I had my first abnormal smear 10 years ago and it was already at the worst stage before becoming really nasty. I have had a few rounds of treatment and back next week after yet another abnormal test. It is only thanks to treatment and yearly smears that I have avoided cancer. It makes me furious that,had the cell changes happened just 4 years earlier, my first smear would have prob been too late for me. Anyone putting it off, please call tomo and book a smear test.

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I am so sorry to read this, my thoughts are with Mr Twiga and the rest of Twiga's family and friends.

• sarah1976
    Savvy September 2016
    sarah1976 ·
    • Hide content

I never got the chance to get to know Twiga, but I wish I had.. From what I've read from you all on here, she sounds an amazing lady..

Twiga, If you're reading this from wherever you are, I promise you that I shall book in for my smear test asap..

I'm one of those that's been putting it off and putting it off for far to long now, and it's time I stopped being a wuss, got off my arse as you say, and got myself checked out.

Sleep tight Twiga xx

• M
    Beginner October 2013
    MrsM*LZ ·
    • Hide content

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I am sorry to hear this. Condolences to Mr Twiga and all of her family and friends. She will be sorely missed on Hitched. Always great fun and there with a funny story. I loved seeing the pictures of her handsome dogs.

I got my smear test letter this week and l will be booking an appointment shortly. My best friend found out she had cancer from a routine smear test, she had no symptoms at all. They are worth it and literally only take a few minutes.

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know Twiga, but this is just simply devastating. My sincerest condolences. Xx

• cantwait2bmrsj
    Beginner September 2014
    cantwait2bmrsj ·
    • Hide content

This is such awfully sad news. I didnt know twiga but I saw the post on wp and wanted to offer my condolences and send my thoughts to twigas family and friends.

• T
    Beginner May 2014
    tictac.fairy ·
    • Hide content

This is such sad news. I only lurk here occasionally and didn't know Twiga as such although I always recognised her avatar and got a strong sense of a happy, helpful person when I read her posts. but I wanted to pass my condolences to Mr Twiga, her family and friends on and off hitched.

I'm not 'old' enough for a smear test yet, but I will book myself in as soon as I can next year. Rest in Peace Twiga xxxx

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to read this. Sending all my love to her friends and family.

My smear test is a few months overdue and I'll be booking it first thing tomorrow morning.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Oh this is so terribly sad Smiley sad life can be so damn cruel.

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

So sad to hear this news, I also didn't realise until I read the swollen hands post which is a sign of how positively she always came across. I agree life's not fair.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I've not commented on this before, because I had no words. I still don't.

Lots of love to Twiga's family and friends, wishing you strenght for the future. xx

Thank you to everyone who's posted here, especially those who lurk, or only usually post on WP. It means a lot.

Sleep tight beautiful xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics