Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

A message from Mr Twiga

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 3 of April of 2014 at 13:10

Posted on Off Topic Posts 188

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs. She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and...

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs.

She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and was determined to live each day to the full. She fitted more into her 28 years on this earth than many will in a lifetime and touched so many people in different ways, including many of you on here. Her passing so young is just a cruel and devastating waste. She leaves behind family and friends whose lives will never be whole ever again.

She was private about her illness much of the time but this is a vital opportunity to remind you all of the importance of cancer screening. Her death may well have been preventable had she been screened earlier and I know that she felt very strongly that her case should be held up as an example to highlight that nothing concerned with health is worth delaying for any reason whatsoever. Lives have been utterly shattered beyond repair and I would hate for that to happen to any of you or your loved ones.

I am sure that she has left her mark on this place like she has with all the places she visited (mainly due to her ludicrous clumsiness), and that her memory can live on here. Thank you for the kind messages you have sent me in recent days, to see how much she was loved by your community is truly a comfort.

Mr Twiga xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A footnote from Footlong: Over the past year, we have all been privileged to share time with Twiga. She filled our community with laughter and happiness, and not a small amount of sheer craziness. Even when her own battles were difficult, she showed compassion and kindness to those who needed it. The girl behind the giraffe was as beautiful, as funny and as vibrant in real life as she was here, and the loss to those who loved her is unimaginable. To Mr Twiga and the rest of her cherished family, I send my very best ((hug)).

In all this, there is a message that absolutely cannot be lost or ignored. However, it is not my message to give, it is Twiga’s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twiga/Thu Mar ****:38
#nomakeup selfies

*sensitive, but very important*

My whole cancer journey started with my first routine smear test that I had in 2011 when I was 25. I just had a letter from the GP drop through my letterbox and went along totally carefree. Needless to say the results that came back were just awful and I had two years of treatment/operations as a result of them. I had a blissful cancer-free period last year that I shall be eternally grateful for. However as of Jan 2014 the f*cker seems to have decided to spread upwards and outwards and I will not ever be able to say I am cancer free again.

I'm not saying this for the love (please don't actually - I feel the love already and I love you all back). I'm saying this out of a sense of duty that no one should have to deal with this and the thought that there are people out there who are not showing up for smear tests and the like really upsets me. I got 'called' at 25 and it should have been much earlier. I wish I had been 'called' at 23. I wish I had been 'called' at 19. Fark, I wish I had a friggin smear test everyday. So any Otters or lurkers reading this - get off your arses now (or at least first thing tomorrow) and please PLEASE get yourself booked in for a smear. And feel your boobs too,

Right, my Otter Rock and I shall now get off our soapbox and return to the party thread.

188 replies

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

Love to Mr Twiga and all the family. She was a beautiful girl and I am so glad to have "met" her, albeit virtually.

Thankfully I didn't live close by as I may not have had any wing mirrors left and she may have nicked my cellotape......... She truly was a wonderful character and will be sorely missed around here.

Beautiful poem Funky.

xxx

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Beautiful words for a truly beautiful lady. Xxxx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I miss our beautiful tall otter. There will always be a seat on our bench for you. X

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

Such a sad thing to read, so sorry to hear this, my thought's are with Mr Twiga and the rest of the family.

Rest in peace Twiga xxxxx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

From Vanilla Pod:

Twiga, For the short time we knew you as part of our crazy on line gang, you made me laugh till tears rolled down my face. Your crazy stories, funny descriptions were ace. Now I have tears rolling again. For the loss of a beautiful otter taken far too soon. Sleep tight tall one.
    Much love to Mr twiga and all the family and friends. Xx

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

So sad. My thoughts are with you all. I turned 25 in december & still haven't been called for a smear. I've just called my doctors & made the appointment xx

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Twiga, you were one of the best. You were so funny and so lovely and so wonderfully on the edge of crazy ?

I am so so sad that you're not here anymore. You were a joy and it is a testament to your fabulous character that you touched the lives of so many Otters in such a profound way.

Mr Twiga, I am so sorry for your loss and I send you and all of Twiga's family and friends love and the hope of strength to get you through, what must be, an awful time for you all.

Rest now, Twiga. xxx

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

For a very short time I had the great priviledge of speaking online to a very lovely lady. She gave hope and hugs when needed and smiles and laughter by the bucket load. While I was unable to meet her in real life, I feel that the otters have lost a valuable friend who will be deeply missed by all. I only hope that she remains in the minds and thoughts of those who put off their smear tests and that they will rethink because of her.

My deepest sympathies go to mr twiga and all her friends and family.

RIP tallest of otters xxx

• ashlil
    Beginner February 2011
    ashlil ·
    • Hide content

So sad and such tragic, tragic news. Some beautiful words for a lovely young girl. My thoughts go out to you Mr Twiga and family and friends here that knew her well. Lovely giraffe poem Funky.

Girls, please go and have your tests done, please don't put them off.

Rest in peace Twiga xx

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for sharing footlong and Mr Twiga, if you are reading this my thoughts are with you and Twiga's family.

I am never very good at putting my thoughts in to words but I was extremely saddened to hear this news. Twiga was funny, kind, beyond helpful and generous to other otters and always cheerful and happy and thinking of others even when she was dealing with so much herself. I know I have learnt a lot from her and am honoured to have 'known' her as part of this forum. Rest in peace Twiga, you are sadly missed xx

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Dear Mr Twiga, family and Twiga's Otter friends, I can't imagine how you are feeling at this very sad time. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Good people are never really lost; they live on in the hearts and memories of those who loved them. Even in her darkest hour Twiga reached out a salutary warning and reminder to us all to be vigilant, to not take our health for granted. What an exceptional woman she was.

Rest in Peace Twiga

• B
    Beginner September 2014
    beckimas ·
    • Hide content

Oh my goodness...I am utterly shocked. I wasn't blessed with knowing Twiga personally but have seen her on here. Thinking of her husband and family at this sad time. I turn 25 in June and last week had my letter through the post...I thought to myself ohhhh noooo, this means I'm old now I've received this but after reading such a sad story I will phone up this evening and book an appointment. Love to all that knew Twiga xxx

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

Rest in peace Twiga. A beautiful girl inside and out x

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Thinking of Mr Twiga & family at this time.

Rest in peace, Twiga.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Mr Twiga, love and strength to you, your pooches and families.

Twiga, a true otter, through and through. You will be missed. Sleep tight beautiful lady. X

• unexpectedpenny
    Beginner January 2013
    unexpectedpenny ·
    • Hide content

This is so sad to read, much love to her family and those here that knew her well. xx

I will also stop putting off my smear test and book it now.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Completely agree.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

There aren't enough right or proper words to explain how sad this news is. I am truly sorry to hear this and I wish all the strength in the world to the people who have been touched by this. (((Big hugs))).

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

I also voice what every one is saying. I havent been on OT for very long, but despite her illness she always seemed so greatful and full of life.

I never know what to say either, I am sorry for your loss she was an inspirational lady... this post has also reminded me to book in for my smear test too.

Im thinking and praying for your family and friends and the otters that were close to her too

xx

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

Also is there any petition or anything we can sign to get the aged dropped?

Thankfully in Wales smear tests start from 21 and yet sometimes i think this is still to young

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

So so sorry to hear this news.

My thoughts are with Twiga's family. I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through.

I didnt know Twiga, but I remember reading some of her posts and thinking how lovely she sounded and how strong.

xxx

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

I really am lost for words, this is just so, so sad.

Love to Mr Twiga and all of Twiga's friends and family. x

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what to say. Such sad, sad news. My thoughts to you Mr Twiga and your families.

It really brings it home how important these tests are and I am probably one of the worst for putting it off, test now booked.

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I'm saddened to read this about Twiga - my thoughts are with her family. I hope they find some comfort in knowing that she got a few otters to book their tests (and hopefully encouraged others to not put it off when theirs comes through). I also hope that one day it will finally be changed to test teenagers - one life lost is too many.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Such sad news. My condolences to all that knew her.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

In response to someone asking if there was a petition to have the smear test age reduced I've taken this link that was posted by someones else in wedding planning.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62385

My condolences again.

• N
    Beginner August 2011
    Noodle2Be ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry to read this. My condolences to all those who knew her

• Lottie2409
    Beginner November 2014
    Lottie2409 ·
    • Hide content

Don't really know what to say. Such devastating news

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

Very sad to hear this, from what I saw on her posts here she was lovely and always looked on the bright side. Very inspiring lady and I hope her message spreads far and wide. Lots of thoughts and hugs to her family and friends, especially Mr Twiga. Life is so cruel sometimes.

• TreacleTart
    Beginner May 2015
    TreacleTart ·
    • Hide content

I only lurk occasionally round OT but didn't want read n ignore, such sad news, condolences to her family n all of you that knew her x

• terri_cramp
    Beginner May 2015
    terri_cramp ·
    • Hide content

This is such devastating news, i'm lost for words. My thoughts are with the Twiga family, and i hope that through this terrible time they find comfort.

X

• miss_winter14
    Beginner February 2014
    miss_winter14 ·
    • Hide content

I was not lucky enough to know Twiga but clearly she was a much loved hitcher. My deepest, heartfelt sympathies to her immediate family and to all who knew her. When the pain is less raw, may the memories of her bring smiles, not tears.

I must admit I've been dreadfully remiss and not had a smear since my son was born and he's now 9! But reading this, I promise I will screw my courage to the sticking point and make an appointment.

On a similar note, keep checking up top too ladies- my old school friend has been diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 26. No matter how much we hate to think of these things, the sad truth is that they strike at any age.

With kind wishes to all xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics