Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
Beginner January 2012

A message from Mr Twiga

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown, 3 of April of 2014 at 13:10

Posted on Off Topic Posts 188

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs. She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and...

"I’m sad to share the very upsetting news that Twiga passed away on Saturday morning following a two and a half year battle with cancer. She was with the people she loved most in the world: her husband, her dad and her dogs.

She was a wonderfully kind and joyous person who embraced life and was determined to live each day to the full. She fitted more into her 28 years on this earth than many will in a lifetime and touched so many people in different ways, including many of you on here. Her passing so young is just a cruel and devastating waste. She leaves behind family and friends whose lives will never be whole ever again.

She was private about her illness much of the time but this is a vital opportunity to remind you all of the importance of cancer screening. Her death may well have been preventable had she been screened earlier and I know that she felt very strongly that her case should be held up as an example to highlight that nothing concerned with health is worth delaying for any reason whatsoever. Lives have been utterly shattered beyond repair and I would hate for that to happen to any of you or your loved ones.

I am sure that she has left her mark on this place like she has with all the places she visited (mainly due to her ludicrous clumsiness), and that her memory can live on here. Thank you for the kind messages you have sent me in recent days, to see how much she was loved by your community is truly a comfort.

Mr Twiga xx

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A footnote from Footlong: Over the past year, we have all been privileged to share time with Twiga. She filled our community with laughter and happiness, and not a small amount of sheer craziness. Even when her own battles were difficult, she showed compassion and kindness to those who needed it. The girl behind the giraffe was as beautiful, as funny and as vibrant in real life as she was here, and the loss to those who loved her is unimaginable. To Mr Twiga and the rest of her cherished family, I send my very best ((hug)).

In all this, there is a message that absolutely cannot be lost or ignored. However, it is not my message to give, it is Twiga’s.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Twiga/Thu Mar ****:38
#nomakeup selfies

*sensitive, but very important*

My whole cancer journey started with my first routine smear test that I had in 2011 when I was 25. I just had a letter from the GP drop through my letterbox and went along totally carefree. Needless to say the results that came back were just awful and I had two years of treatment/operations as a result of them. I had a blissful cancer-free period last year that I shall be eternally grateful for. However as of Jan 2014 the f*cker seems to have decided to spread upwards and outwards and I will not ever be able to say I am cancer free again.

I'm not saying this for the love (please don't actually - I feel the love already and I love you all back). I'm saying this out of a sense of duty that no one should have to deal with this and the thought that there are people out there who are not showing up for smear tests and the like really upsets me. I got 'called' at 25 and it should have been much earlier. I wish I had been 'called' at 23. I wish I had been 'called' at 19. Fark, I wish I had a friggin smear test everyday. So any Otters or lurkers reading this - get off your arses now (or at least first thing tomorrow) and please PLEASE get yourself booked in for a smear. And feel your boobs too,

Right, my Otter Rock and I shall now get off our soapbox and return to the party thread.

188 replies

• daisymoo86
    Beginner July 2016
    daisymoo86 ·
    • Hide content

RIP Twiga.

I didnt know Twiga. Read a few of her posts, recognised her name and avatar, but that was about it, I wish I had taken the time to introduce myself, to get to know the wonderful woman. However, reading this has really upset me. Thoughts to her family and friends at this awful time and I hope she finds a hitched website in heaven so she can carry on with her awesome posts!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

The fact that we're now on page 7, shows how truly amazing this girl was.

Funky, your poem is beautiful.

• K
    Beginner August 2014
    KyleighB ·
    • Hide content

So yesterday I read this and had no words to say. Its heartbreaking for anyone that knew her and as someone that had never spoken to her virtually or not, heartbreaking for me too.

Last night when putting my son to bed and reading a story, I came across this and felt that I had to share it. (It made me cry like a baby last night whilst getting some very strange looks from him!)

“We have tears in our eyes
    As we wave our goodbyes,
    We so loved being with you, we three.
    So do please now and then
    Come and see us again,
    The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.

"All you do is to look
    At a page in this book
    Because that’s where we always will be.
    No book ever ends
    When it’s full of your friends
    The Giraffe and the Pelly and me.”
    ― Roald Dahl

Sleep tight Twiga

• Loopz
    Beginner March 2013
    Loopz ·
    • Hide content

There really are no words. This is such devestatingly terrible news. Twigaw as such a wonderful lady, such a beloved member of this community. She leaves behind a great gap that will always be here. We will remember her always.

my thoughts are with Mr Twiga and all the family xxxxxx

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

I haven't commented on this post yet as I havnt had the words, I still dont. When i first heard the news, i literally felt sick, in the short space of time i 'knew' Twiga she bought such hilarity and fun and sparkle to conversation that hearing she had lost her battle was utterley heartbreaking. Thanks to Mr twiga for sharing such beautiful words and for Footlong for delivering them. And funky, the poem is beautiful!

Please everyone, listen to her words and get checked. If this isnt a wake up call I dont know what is☹️

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

I don't know what to say. I can't believe it. I was only speaking to her what feels like days ago.

Mr Twiga I know no words will bring you any comfort and you already know how absolutely fantastic Twiga was. If you need any advice on practical stuff send me a message. I'm so so sorry. I can't stop crying at work. The world is so so unfair.

Love RK xxx

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Devastating news. I had no idea she was facing that battle and was so shocked to see this. A very special lady whose personality shone through and in her short time here created some wonderful memories that will bring a giggle and a smile. Sleep tight ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

?

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

Anything I type seems so inadequate.

Twiga was a truly inspirational and kind hearted person, there is no doubt in my mind that she will not be forgotten and will always be missed. I never had the chance to meet her in person but I still feel privileged to have 'known' her. My heart goes out to the family she has left behind.

Rest in peace Twiga, I hope that wherever you are now you have as much jelly and ice cream as you desire. x

• B
    Beginner September 2016
    BrideToBe3326 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know twiga, I'm more of a lurker on these forums. But I can say that it has spured me to book a smear test. I'm only a year younger than she was and feel embarrassed that I haven't had one yet. I'm so sorry for your loss.

RIP Twiga

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

So utterly utterly sad, Ive a real lump in my throat reading through this.

Thoughts to Mr Twiga, all family and friends.

xx

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

Just been thinking, for those whos doctors are being funny about giving you a smear due to your age, I know our local sexual health clinics do them also, you don't have to make an appointment it's a drop in clinc, but you may have to wait to be seen.

• Elixia
    Beginner March 2014
    Elixia ·
    • Hide content

I know I've already post my sympathies on this thread but I've just been in bits today and I'm more moved by the people who are now booking smear tests. I need to book myself soon, my last one was 2 years ago. such a beautiful lady.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I would add that it's also good to see advice on how to actually go about the process (thanks Jen). In that spirit, I will share my discovery today that under-25s can book a private smear test at Marie Stopes and similar, at the cost of approximately £75-100. You will receive all the proper consultation and counselling for interpeting smear tests in under-25s.

It is also worth noting that Marie Stopes offer yearly smear tests as part of their Well Woman Screen, at a cost of £185 (for full screen, not just smear).

• Darren @ Hitched
    Beginner August 2015
    Darren @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content

The hitched team has been made aware of the sad passing of our forum user Twiga, and all of us would like to offer our most sincere condolences to Twiga’s husband, friends, family and all those who knew her, both online and in real life.

We are proud of the loving and supportive community on hitched, and the way they pulled to together to support Twiga during her illness, and Mr Twiga now. If there is anything that can be taken from this senseless death, it’s to heed Twiga’s advice and make sure you visit your doctor and book a smear test as soon as you are able to.

We are all very sorry and Twiga is in our thoughts.

All the team at hitched x

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

My condolences... I never had the opportunity to speak to or get to know Twiga, but my heart goes out to her and her family. She sounded like a wonderful lady. Very sad news, I'm sorry Smiley sad May her memory live on forever, and to continue to promote the importance of screening to us and all the other ladies in our lives. Rest in Peace Angel. xx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Red Kite, more of that kissy face to you.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

My heartfelt condolences to all of Twiga's family on the loss of a true friend, and a real otter.

x

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

I've not replied before now as I've not known what to say. I still don't really. Every time I think about Twiga I start to fill up, and then I think about the daft things she's done and it becomes a watery chuckle. The wing mirrors of the world may be a little bit safer, but our hearts and lives are a lot emptier. Mr Twiga - lots of love to you and both of your families.

Sleep well beautiful lady x

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

I have long felt that the age for compulsory smears should be younger. How brave that Twiga was willing to hold herself up as an example, and how tragic this news is. My love to her husband, family and friends xxx

• Gracey
    Beginner February 2012
    Gracey ·
    • Hide content

What a brave lady Twiga was and I am so sorry, sending hugs and thoughts to all Twiga's family

If just one person is helped - from reading this and then booking their test, I'm sure Twiga would be happy ? xxx

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Friday evening after a couple of glasses of cheap red (yeah, it's early, so shoot me) probably isn't the right time but never mind.

Mr Twiga and Daddy Twiga, you both made her who she was, just, just, you know, lovely. More ((hugs)).

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

???

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I don't really know what to say - such devesating news. I am only a lurker at the moment but it is clear, just from reading these messages, just how many people Twiga had an impact on and how dearly her presence and clumsiness will be missed.

To Mr Twiga, her family and friends, I am sending all my hugs.

I see too many girls on Facebook complaining about the smear test; it's not worth it get yourself checked out.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

How incredibly sad, my heart goes out to all the family.

I want to stress the importance of early screening...I was called for an early mammogram last year as part of a trial in my area. I was diagnosed with breast cancer and subsequently had a mastectomy & other treatment.I am so pleased that I was part of an early screening trial. If you get called for screening, dont ignore it, make sure you go.

• MrsCWB
    Beginner October 2014
    MrsCWB ·
    • Hide content

Oh bless her! Thank you Twiga for raising awareness in this community and hopefully that awareness will continue to be passed on in her memory. I never spoke to Twiga but she sounds so lovely. Love, hugs and kind thoughts to all who knew her, especially her loved ones.

x

• MummyMoo82
    Beginner October 2012
    MummyMoo82 ·
    • Hide content

I've been a bit AWOL and came back today to see this awful news. It's really hard to say all the things that go through your mind at a time like this, or to say what hasn't been said before.

I saw the post of the parcel she receivd the other day, and it made me so happy to see what a great support she has had from Otters, and I'm sure having a place like this 24/7 helped her feel she was never alone in times of need, or rants about jelly!

I've already done a shout out on Facebook to remind people to go for their smears, or book private if they are under 25.

Off to hug my loved ones just a bit tighter tonight xx

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

Such sad news and especially so for one so young. I didn't know Twiga but she obviously touched so many people both on here and throughout her daily life. So sorry to hear this and my thoughts are with all who knew and loved her xx

• LoveIsEasy
    Beginner May 2015
    LoveIsEasy ·
    • Hide content

Another lurker here, I just want to add my heartfelt condolences to Mr Twiga and your families and friends.

I know that when I turn 25 next year I'll have Twiga's words in my head when I'm called for my smear.

I'm so sorry for your loss, rest in peace Twiga Xxx

• J
    Beginner May 2014
    Jes22 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't want to read and run, my deepest sympathies go out to Twigas family and friends. It's such a horrible illness and 28 is no age, I agree cervical screening should be done at a much younger age. I had a scare at only 23 and have never had a normal smear since being 19. This has spurred to to get my overdue check up done and I will be booking it next week xx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

This is awful. So, so sad.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

So sad, it was wonderful having her around, she will definitely be missed on OT.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics