Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FutureMrsWilson
Beginner January 2010

How much did your gown cost? **Stressed about budget**

FutureMrsWilson, 18 of April of 2011 at 20:14 Posted on Planning 0 78

Sorry if this sounds nosy, but how much did your gown cost?
Also, who was the designer and were you able to pay in installments?

I've been looking at gown online, and I'm really shocked at the prices. I'm worried that I've not budgeted enough for my dress, and that if I go to a Bridal shop and admit my budget that I'll be laughed at and shown the door.
I've even been looking online for used gowns, which tbh are more in my price bracket. A bit upset that on my big day I'll be wearing someone else's dream dress.

If anyone would be kind enough to share, I'd be really grateful and it might help me be a little more realistic.
Thank you!

78 replies

Latest activity by sapphire_22, 20 of April of 2011 at 22:02
  • Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Try sample sales. The dresses are still new but have probably been tried on by someone, but the price is SO much lower! I got mine (a gorgeous Sincerity gown) for £700, which was on average £250 - £300 less than the other dresses in the same shop from the same designer!

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Mine s the one u try in the shop- its by 'bonny' and got in on sale for £500 from £1100- no way would i have paid that much for a dress i'll only wear once..

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £600. Should have been £1515 in the shop. I would say look at preloved websites and play around with Google. I managed to find a lady selling the one that I wanted. It was brand new with the tags and had never been worn.

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Agree with the above, if you shop around you wont have to pay shop prices. As well as Preloved check out Ebay, loads of bargains to be had there too Smiley smile I really didnt want my dress to cost the earth as we are paying for everything ourselves and paying a shop price would have eaten a lot of our budget.

• excitedbee
    Beginner February 2011
    excitedbee ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £420 but originally £1400, it was reduced because it was an ex-sample dress but it was in Perfect condition!!

• RebeccaLou87
    Beginner October 2011
    RebeccaLou87 ·
    • Hide content

Mine was about £800 and is by Bonny. To be honest there is a very broad range of prices out there so I wouldnt worry Smiley smile

Usually you pay half as a deposit and then the rest on collection. xx

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I went to a huge bridal warehouse type place in Warrington, maybe a bit far for you, but there must be some down Brum way too. They had a mix of new styles, seconds, samples and then regular sale with prices from £50!

If you find one you like you can always order the style from a local seamstress which could be a cheaper option, or the ebay dress lady from birmingham everyone raves about!

Mine was £800 from Pronuptia in Manc, which includes any alterations, we are having a few embellishments added to the back plus a dress bag for another £20quid or so.

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a Mori Lee sample and should have been £1000 but got it for £550 ?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I bought mine direct from a designer, it had been worn in a bridal fashion show and I won it in a feirce bidding war on Ebay for the princely sum of £260!

Should have been £999 and its never really been worn- look around and dont go to shop if oyu are on a budget.

• JezVonSavage
    Beginner September 2012
    JezVonSavage ·
    • Hide content

My dress will cost £1000 including the veil, and is being handmade for me by Thelma Madine. It's a lot more than I wanted to spend, but my mother insisted given that i'm her only daughter and she hopes i'm only going to be getting married once!!

Originally, I saw a high street dress for £250 that I loved and would have been more than happy with. There are loads of gorgeous dress bargains out there. what type of dress are you looking at?

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    monkey_nut ·
    • Hide content

I budgeted £500 for my dress and on my first trip out to try on dresses soon realised I wasn't being realistic if I wanted to order a new dress so I decided I'd just look for ideas and then trawl the internet... I didn't count on totally falling in love with the 4th dress I tried on, Maggie Sottero's Karena Royale.

I came home and trawled the net and couldn't find it any cheaper than the shop. I found it hard even looking second hand as I want it in ivory/ivory and the gold is the more popular. I went back out to try on more lace style dresses but I was just comparing them all to that one.

In the end I explained it all to my OH and he told me to order the one I wanted and not take something that wouldn't be the one I really wanted. It hasn't worked out too badly since I got an unexpected annual bonus (due to the company hitting targets) so that is now paying the remainder of my dress. Total £922

If you want to be able to order online cheaper, try not to fall in love with a Maggie Sottero as you'll be hard pushed to find them any cheaper than the full price!

• GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is Justin Alexander. Should have been over £1000 (£1500 I think) but got it for £200 as it was the sample from the shop and was from 2008 I think.

If you have plenty of time just shop around and you can find the perfect dress in any budget.

If you go to a good shop they will ask your budget and not show you anything above that - I found that very quickly.

• charliebird7
    Beginner March 2012
    charliebird7 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is £650 and is a Forever Yours dress. I really didn't want to spend over £800. You can find dresses in your budget if you shop around. x

• ScillyB2B
    Beginner June 2012
    ScillyB2B ·
    • Hide content

As I wanted a destination style dress I had expected to pay around £600 but found my perfect dress at monsoon for £200. It wouldnt work if you wanted a big gown but for beach style destination weddings monsoon are amazing.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having a traditional wedding gown. I'm having a corset and skirt, handmade for me costing about £400. I will then be able to wear both corset and skirt on other occasions as separates.

I think wedding dresses are a bit of a silly idea, and I think paying £hundreds for a dress you'll wear once, put in a box and leave in the loft is eve sillier! I like the old fashioned idea of cutting it up for a christening outfit, or dyeing it as a ballgown is much better. Or selling it on - but a lot of people won't even consider a second hand dress. Shame - because if it were more popular the designers would have to cut their prices to stay competetive...

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Mine was a shop sample as well from the **** collection, was originally £1100 but i got it for £350!

• happy_feet
    Beginner
    happy_feet ·
    • Hide content

I fell in love with my dress after trying it on in House of Fraiser, London, got it priced at £1700 and wanted to cry. Speant a week researching on-line, and by fluke was talking to a woman on ebay who put a load of Ronald Joyce dresses on to ask if she had that model, she didn't but said she had the version as the one I wanted was from 2009. SO ..looking for pictures of the new model I found a shop in suffolk who had listed the dress I wanted under the wrong code. It was £440 including p and p. Have also paid 75 for alterations (pick it up thursday!) so only £15 over my budget in the end!

• lauren700
    Beginner
    lauren700 ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from Landy Bridal for £200 instead of £1,200!

Alot of people on here dont agree with doing that though as they basically copy the dress.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

I am having mine made for me. Havent yet asked how much it is yet!

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

I found the dress I loved in a shop and then checked on the web for other shops that did the same designer - the full price differed by £100 ish. More when you looked at what the individual shops charged for alterations (£30-£150!) I also checked out second hand ones, though I couldn't find my dress. A few weeks later after regularly googling the dress I actually found it brand new in a shop which was doing 40% off that designer so I struck lucky. The shop was a little further away than was convenient but even allowing for petrol I saved money and the lady in the shop was lovely.

It is worth googling and checking on the price in different shops, second hand etc. I don't know what your budget is but my dress with alterations (I had the bodice rebeaded in a different colour) came to under £500.

• F
    Beginner October 2013
    Future Mrs Gough ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £700 and it was designed by Mori Lee - managed to negotiate the price a bit cos it should have been more than that. It ended up being about half the price that I had seen it anywhere else

• snail_87
    Beginner May 2011
    snail_87 ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress for £400 at a wedding dress outlet where they have end of line dresses, ex-photo shoot dresses etc. There is nothing more expensive than £400 there! I think mine originally cost between £800-£1000, it's an Anna Sorrano dress I think, absolutely perfect and nothing wrong with it.

If you are interested then it's not far from you- it's called the wedding dress outlet, and it is near Hinckley in Leicestershire just off the M1. It will come up on google Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner February 2012
    Dani1984 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

mine is by maggie sottero it is 1000, paid 50% deposit now and the rest when the dress comes in the shop, might need some alterations and hoop etc

xx

• FutureMrsWilson
    Beginner January 2010
    FutureMrsWilson ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh wonderful, I'll have to go along and check it out! £400 is closer to my budget really.

I've also heard about Landy. I have the site bookmarked! There's just so many on there, I can't choose!

I have at least 5 stone to lose between now and the wedding, so at the moment I'm not in fine shape to go dress shop, so maybe the online option, or going a few months before and getting something off the peg will ensure I don't go overboard.

Thanks everyone, my mind is at ease. x

• massuch
    Beginner July 2011
    massuch ·
    • Hide content

Wow, check you all out with your bargains, fantastic!!

I paid £1250 for mine Smiley sad then a month later the shop sample was sold at half the price, never mind it was 4 sizes too big so wouldn't have worked anyway.

x

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £855. I got 10% off it, as our local City Council give you a 10% off card to use at a few retailers when you book your registrar. I had totally forgotten about it when I went to look at dresses, luckily the card was positioned right behind my payment card- result!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I'd budgeted £800 but I got an Annasul Y sample (not sure how much it should have been the ones I have looked up online are thousands). I paid £99!!! And I LOVE it.

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

My dress "cost" per the current label is £750, however I am paying £570.

My dress was a 2009 dress, which wasn't very popular, and it was about to get discontinued when it became popular and sales of it increased, so they re-released it for 2010 collection. This meant that my shop paid the 2009 price for a brand new 2010 dress - the old price was £630.

Further to that, I made an appointment to see the dress at a wedding fayre, and when I went in, it was a different lady there - I told her that i'd been given a 10% off voucher - she didn't realise they had been given out, but I told her i'd pop it in so she wrote out my invoice including a 10% discount too - bringing it down to £570... Anyway, got home and realised the voucher was for another shop ?. Phoned the woman to tell her, and she said "Oh well, it's been agreed now".

• MrsCoco
    MrsCoco ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress in a sample sale - designer dress for a fraction of the cost.....mine only cost £349 which I was chuffed with! No way I could have gone over £500 for a dress for one day, however special a day it is! xx

• F
    Beginner May 2011
    FutureMrsC ·
    • Hide content

I am having mine made it will cost me £1200..

I went and tried on dresses in shops from £500 upwards but didn't find anything that blew me away! ? I did however find a style I liked so I could talk to my dress maker and design my dress!

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I got mine from here as well, there are loads of styles and there are a few coloured ones ? Mine is a Romantica and it cost me £360, although I have since found another dress so am trying to sell my one.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics