Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FutureMrsWilson
Beginner January 2010

How much did your gown cost? **Stressed about budget**

FutureMrsWilson, 18 of April of 2011 at 20:14

Posted on Planning 78

Sorry if this sounds nosy, but how much did your gown cost? Also, who was the designer and were you able to pay in installments? I've been looking at gown online, and I'm really shocked at the prices. I'm worried that I've not budgeted enough for my dress, and that if I go to a Bridal shop and admit...

Sorry if this sounds nosy, but how much did your gown cost?
Also, who was the designer and were you able to pay in installments?

I've been looking at gown online, and I'm really shocked at the prices. I'm worried that I've not budgeted enough for my dress, and that if I go to a Bridal shop and admit my budget that I'll be laughed at and shown the door.
I've even been looking online for used gowns, which tbh are more in my price bracket. A bit upset that on my big day I'll be wearing someone else's dream dress.

If anyone would be kind enough to share, I'd be really grateful and it might help me be a little more realistic.
Thank you!

78 replies

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a Maggie Sottero that was supposed to be around £1250 but it was being discontinued so I was able to buy the shop sample for £650!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

My dress was £1000 and it will need alterations but they are capped at £200,it was far more than i ever thought i would spend but i saw the dress and loved it then found a shop that stocked the designer and they ordered it in as they did not have the sample so no room for any bargains.

I found one very similar on ebay,it would have been perfect but was the wrong colour. Most bridal shops want you to pay half when you order then the rest when it comes in.

I ordered my dress last November and it is due in at the end of this month. To ease it a little bit i paid £250 in cash and stuck £250 on my credit card,i have paid of the £250 on the card now so will do the same to pay of the balance.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

same here!!! mine was a sincerity dress, orginally £1200 which id never have been able to afford, however it was down to £600!! o only had to put £150 deposit and then pay whatever i can, and i have a year to pay it in!!

• SamSam
    Beginner March 2011
    SamSam ·
    • Hide content

Mine was by Forget Me Not Designs and cost £1200 plus £150 for alterations. My lovely Mum bought me the dress for which I'm very grateful.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Mine is pretty pricey but is a bespoke, made to measure Stephanie Allin gown. It's the most expensive item of clothing I will ever buy and is my wedding day present to me.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I could have sworn that was a brand of pile cream... ?

• L
    Beginner
    LJO ·
    • Hide content

£86 made in China ?and its great!!

• little miss stubborn
    little miss stubborn ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about loking on the high street, Monsoon, Debenhams and Bhs all do Wedding Dresses??

• *porsche*
    Beginner January 2001
    *porsche* ·
    • Hide content

We budgetted £1k and my dress cost £600. Well chuffed!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Lol BrideBrat already beat you to that one:

https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/p/213455/2091814.aspx#2091814

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

I had a bespoke Ian Stuart gown so it wasn't cheap but then again it wasn't the most expensive one I had looked at. I was originally going for a Stewart Parvin dress which would have cost double the amount... Sooo I sort of saved money! ?

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

My gown was £360 by alfred angelo! I tried on a gown i thought was "the one" and it was about £1100, then i tried my gown on and before i saw the cost i was like "This. Is my gown!" and i paid half the cost as a deposit, and will pay the full amount when my gown comes in!

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can i pretty please see a flash??!!!

I got a maggie sottero, it had just arrived at the shop that week...it was £1450 (at the more expensive end for a maggie but its a ballgown with a huse train so loads of material). It was 50% deposit before they would place the order from the designer & then the remainder when I went back to try it on.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

SaSaSi - a flash of mine or the Stuart Parvin one?

Here are a few pics of mine:

https://www.hitched.co.uk/Chat/forums/t/192525.aspx

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi SamSam. Which dress did you have? Mine is forget me not and not really seen anyone else in one.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The Ian Stuart! Looks fab! I loved the Dominique dress but the lace sort of slashed my bust in half (im hevay chested) & just didnt look right.

Didnt know he did bespoke - yours looks a great shape / cut if that makes sense.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Mine is the Jet Set gown but I had it made long and also changed the jacket that came with it so is unique! I loved my dress - really want to wear it again however I think I would get funny looks if I did...!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Wow spangles your wedding day looked amazing, love the whole look and the birdcage suited you so well, you looked so beautiful! (sorry to stray off the OP) Mine was £800 forever yours.

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content

@ Spangles you looked absolutely stunning and the theme was great, it all went together perfectly. Did you have the Beretun shoes too with the big bow and crystals?

My dress is just a few quid short of a grand by Alfred Angelo 'Ariel'.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Thank you both! Yes these were my shoes:

• LeeLee :)
    Beginner
    LeeLee :) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

He he he I knew I'd seen these before on here somewhere - thanks to you I fell in love haha!

Absolutely stunning and tied in lovely with your whole wedding Smiley smile

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Mine was the first and only dress I tried on, I had no idea who all the designers were, just an idea of what I liked.

It turns out that it was a designer that most people hadn't heard of, it was an end of line sample dress reduced from £1,800 to £695... and I will be selling it to make some of that back too.

And mummy bought it for me as my wedding present!

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my goodness those shoes are a-ma-zing!!! Serious shoe envy! My whole wedding is black, white and sparkles.. dare I even ASK how much they cost? (Bear in mind I am on my 3rd pair already) Braces self...xx

• 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

I paid £1200 for mine and it was ordered. We paid half when it was ordered and the rest when i collected it

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Vanillapod they were £250. They are "Barbie shoes by Pink" that she embellishes by hand and they can be dyed any colour so you can wear them again.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hmmm maybe if I make a nice tea and put my future mrs---- t-shirt on we could be open for some negotiations once OH gets home!! (in my dreams) They are so very beautiful!! Thanks for sharing!!! xx

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I might be persuaded to sell them if you are genuinely interested!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Mean! ?

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*runs back from reading hitched on phone whilst sunbathing in garden and hops breathlessly back on big computer*

What size are they???! xx

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Ah, this is the point you could be either elated or very disappointed!

They are a size 7.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

*waits in anticipation to the outcome of this modern day Cinderella story*

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Ah mannnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm only a five!!! Damn my stupid average feet!!! I was literally heart thumpingly excited then! If it was one size then I could have got away with it too. ☹️ Ah never mind thank you for considerinring parting with your beautiful shoes for me!!! xxx

*off to raise £250 !!*

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics