Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Kate7695
Dedicated May 2022 East Riding of Yorkshire

Unenthusiastic bridesmaids - having doubts about who i asked. Please help!

Kate7695, 20 of November of 2021 at 15:44 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 1 205
Okay, so last weekend my bridesmaids and I had our first makeup and hair trial. It took (literally) months to organise as my 2 bridesmaids would not answer my messages or get back to me. Eventually we all settled on a date and I organised everything. I picked my friends up and brought then to my house. Neither of them said thank you and when we started talking about plans for the big day including dresses for them, the food, the schedule, one of them was sat arms crossed and didn't say anything other than "I don't like that" or "that colour isnt right". There was nothing constructive or helpful at all. My other bridesmaid took some notes and asked some questions but that was it. When I asked them about dresses, they both picked the same one. I wasn't really pleased as I wanted to go for mismatched dresses - how do I speak to them about this?

After a little more coaxing of answers from them and asking them for their help setting some decor up the day before, the makeup lady arrived. We all had our hair done then our makeup done.

All afternoon I offered drinks and food and if they were all comfy or needed anything. They refused all refreshment and when it got to late afternoon, one of my bridesmaids stood up and said "I'm going now". Her new boyfriend of 8 wks was picking her up. I had no knowledge of this as we had planned to have a late evening of drinks and take-out. I was very disappointed. Then my other bridesmaid said to me "can you text my ex and ask him to drop the kids off here as this is taking longer than I thought. Make sure you say I'm miserable though otherwise he will be annoyed with me". I couldn't believe it. I felt like I was being dropped. I had been so stressed and worried about the day as I needed to talk to them about so much, but they didn't seem to care. I felt as though neither of them wanted to be there or could muster any enthusiasm. I am still feeling hurt today, and I don't know what to do.
I understand they have their own lives but all I asked was for a few hours. They had plenty of time to organise everything.
Please if anyone can advise it would be much appreciated.Katie x

205 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 29 of April of 2022 at 19:20
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I would be upset too with behaviour like this.

Do you feel like you still want them as part of your day?
    Would it be possible to arrange to meet them both for a coffee and explain to them both how this has made you feel? This would give them a chance to express what issues they may have. Depending on what they say you can then decide whether you’d be better off having different bridesmaids.
    I know it will be awkward having to ask them not to be bridesmaids anymore (if it comes to that), but do you really want people as your bridesmaids who see it all as a chore?
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Firstly, thank you for understanding my position. I was wondering if I had somehow been a "Bridezilla". But I have only asked them for their opinion, given them freedom to pick their own dresses, their own shoes and makeup style. So I don't see how I could have been difficult at all.

Also, I haven't foeced anything on them, only asked them for assistance the day or two before. So I don't know how spending the day with your best friends being pampered could somehow be classed as a chore.
    Honestly with how I feel at the moment, I probably wouldn't want them as my bridesmaids. The most upsetting thing is, I don't know why they are acting like this. They were both so excited when I first asked them and now....
    I am actually meeting one of them tomorrow (I haven't heard from her since our trial). I'm really nervous as I don't want to cause an argument but I am also really upset.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    Wow, how rude. Their behavior is not on and you are right to feel how you do. I would call the out, explain that you feel they are not invested and how upset you were, we all have things going on but that is still no reason to treat you like this. I wouldask them if they actually still want to be part of the day. Will be hard but is best to know now. My MOH apologised to me lady night as she told me she is pregnant! I was sooo over the moon for her (she's been trying for 3 years and I kind of knew it would finally happen before my wedding, like fate) I really don't care that we will need to get a new dress now as she will be 7 months gone by the day. Your bridal party should be in it with you and not make you feel this way. Good luck x
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am definitely going to speak to them about it. I expected to feel special and beautiful after seeing them and the makeup lady, but I just felt totally discarded and hurt. It appeared as though got what they wanted and left and I was very upset.

They don't seem to know how much effort and time and energy this wedding is taking to plan and I need their support. I've had nothing from them. When I first asked them to br my bridesmaids I asked if they wanted to make a speech and they both jumped at the idea. When I brought it up again they turned around and said "absolutely not I'm not speaking in front of people". This was disappointing as I was excited to hear what they had to say as my best friends.
    Also, after last week, one of the bridesmaids has been sending pictures to our friends and my family. I had no idea until my cousin messaged me. I was so angry, I was worried my H2B would see them!
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    By pictures I mean the ones from our hair and makeup trial!
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That is a no no that should go without saying that they shouldn't share I am so sorry for you that they are being like this, personally I would sack them off as they really don't seem to care about you and your feelings sending love and best wishes, hope you can get them to see what they are doing and turn it around x
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I know, I couldn't believe it. I instantly knew which bridesmaid had done it. I was absolutely fuming.
    I hope they are understanding once I explain how I feel and how upset and disappointed I am.
    I hope that I don't lose them as my bridesmaids but I shouldn't have to put up with that either. Right??
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Is it possible that this is just a miscommunication? If I were asked to attend a hair & makeup trial, I'd expect it to take a couple of hours maximum - I certainly wouldn't expect an all-day event. The fact that the one bridesmaid was having childcare issues because it was 'taking longer' than she'd expected, while you were looking forward to a late night suggests that something's been lost in translation.

They also may not enjoy the same things as you, so spending a day 'being pampered' may have been a chore for them, not a treat.

I would suggest having a clear conversation with them, laying out what you were expecting a bridesmaid to do and asking them if they are ok with that. While it will be difficult to have that conversation, it's far better to have things out in the open. You don't want to just push ahead, because if you and your bridesmaids have very different expectations of their roles, it's only going to end badly.

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    You absolutely should not and if they are friends they will apologise and understand they were wrong and need to step up x
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    When I first asked them to be my bridesmaids I told them both the same thing. That I needed their support, their advice and their opinions. I needed them to help me in decision making. I asked them for help setting up for the day, sorting out a hen do and that they were responsible for their own dresses ( they had to be mismatched and the same colour). I was pretty clear I thought.

When it came to sorting out the trial, I asked them if they wanted one. I asked if it was something they wanted to do and there was no pressure but that I needed to know. After weeks of chasing they both said they were available for the whole day and we could discus everythjng that I needed. My friend who struggled with childcare, I didn't mind her asking her awful ex to drop the kids off at my house. I adore her children and they mean the world to me. This didn't bother me. What bothered me was the fact rhat I had to send him a message as if I was her saying I was having a horrid time, I couldn't leave. That upset me, as I didn't know if it was true. My other bridesmaid didn't respond at all until a day before when she asked what time I was picking her up. On the day, she said nothing about her hair and makeup, absolutely nothing. Last night I found out that she'd used a selfie as her FB profile pic. If she hated being pampered so much 1. Why did she agree to come when she knew she didn't have to? 2. Why take over 50 pics of her makeup and hair and post them online and send to my family members?
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Last night (I couldn't wait for today) I went to see my bridesmaid (with children). We've been friends for 16years and out of everyone, she is my best friend. I explained how I had felt last week and we had a really good talk until early hours of the morning! We sorted everything out and we both cried and hugged and with her it was a case of miscommunication (re the dress). She said she felt absolutely beautiful last week and that she was super excited for the day. She couldn't wait to organise bits and bobss for my hen do, which we spoke about a lot. I was so relieved and grateful that it was a case of misunderstanding. She said she was so sorry for making me feel like she didn't care as, in her words "I'm jealous as f$*#!, but my heart aches with how happy I am for you. I want you to have the most amazing day, you deserve it!". I cried when she said this.

After more chatting, we spoke about my other bridesmaid but we couldn't understand her behaviour.
    It's a conversation I need to have with her for sure, but unlike my other bridesmaid who I can talk to about anything, my other friend can be quite aggressive. I don't want anything to escalate but I don't know how to talk to her without her getting mad.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So pleased you takjed it through, it is scary to do but is cathartic to clear the air. Hope you are able to have a conversation with the other one, she may surprise you x
  • Hayley
    Rockstar September 2022 Norfolk
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    So pleased you worked it out with your best friend. Perhaps the other friend has got caught up in the new boyfriend thing, where you sometimes forget about the rest of your life and get quite blinkered. Hope the conversation with her goes okay.
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I am too, I was so relieved.
    Thank you, I hope this is the case, I don't want to lose her as my bridesmaids but I don't want to put up with her changed behaviour either.
  • T
    Curious November 2023 Devon
    Teri ·
    • Hide content
    How upsetting for you! I could not imagine either of my bridesmaids being like that! One of them has been my bestie for 16 years also and she has been planning my hen do and my wedding day since we were 18 🤣 I'm so pleased you spoke to your bestfriend and sorted it out, the other girl if she's not a really close friend I would consider asking someone else to be your bridesmaid. I know the two girls I have will be there calming me down and making everything go smoother for me and that's what you need, no added stress on your day! Really hope you sort it 😊
  • R
    • Hide content

Well done for having the courage to raise the topic with your friend - that can't have been easy, but what a good outcome you've had from it.

It sounds as if she is maybe struggling a bit when she looks at her situation (relationship breakup) compared to yours and had a bit of a 'blip' on that day, but she's obviously a good enough friend to try and put her feelings behind her and celebrate with you.

I hope you are able to have a conversation with your other bridesmaid soon as well. Maybe she's worried about her new relationship, and again, is finding the contrast between her own life and yours a bit hard. You wont know why she is acting like this unless you ask her, so go ahead and have the conversation. I hope it is satisfactory but if not, it's much better to know now than have to deal with an unenthusiastic bridesmaid on the day!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    Only just seen your post im glad you sorted stuff out just 2nd bridesmaid to sort out it is hard when friends have known the plans all along i have been friends with mine since the primary school im now 43 now we dont talk because they found out i had booked my wedding which they knew would happen eventually with out them so they tell my family now i dont speak to friends or family i hope your chat goes well with your other friend and you can sort it out and your not a BRIDEZILLA. Your a bride that wants to spend some quality time with her friends x💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Me too, like k said before I was so relieved we sorted it out. My other friend will be different altogether but hopefully it won't end in tears (the bad kind)! Thank you for your support and for saying I'm not a Bridezilla!! I was starting to think I was x
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Let us know how you get on with talking to the other bridesmaid. I hope it goes better than you expect, and you're able to have your wedding with both your friends' support xxx

• Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you, I will speak to my other friend soon and hopefully sort this out. I do hope it's a misunderstanding or caught up with her new boyfriend. But it's the things like posting the pictures that I don't understand.
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    No your not a bridezilla you just want a special day and have your friends be part of that planning i hope it goes well with your other friend and i definately do not see a Bridezilla dont let it spoil your planning like my friends did x💗
  • R
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If they were pictures of her after getting her makeup/hair done, she was probably just pleased with how she looked and wanted to share it - she probably didn't even think that you might want to keep your bridesmaids' wedding look a secret. In future, if you're discussing anything else with her that you want kept quiet, I'd say something like "You're the only ones who know about this - I really want to keep this as a surprise for people at our wedding, so please don't tell anyone." Being told you're one of the privileged few to know something will make most people happy with keeping quiet instead of feeling miffed that they can't share!

• Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi hows the bridesmaid situation did you speak to your other friend 👍 or 👎 x💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I have tried to meet uo with her but she's working this weekend so it'll be the week after! Just my luck. I don't want to speak to her over the phone about it, I want to do it in person, so I'll have to wait xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh kate i do hope it goes well and all three of you can enjoy your plans together let us know how it goes crossing my fingers it goes well x💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you Michelle, I am dreading it but at the same time I want everything sorted. I will let you know ow how it goes. Thanks for your support x
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Any time here to talk if you need to have a moan x💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you!! 😊 xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi kate just checking in how did it go with your friend x💗
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Michelle, sorry for my late reply. My friend has.... disappointed me. When I spoke to her, she said "err yeah been busy". That was it. When I spoke to her I mentioned how I was feeling and how difficult its been to plan a wedding (especially with Covid) and that I felt she didn't want to be a part of my day. I hadn't heard from her since Christmas. She said "err about dresses, what colour shoes do you want us to wear and how do qe go about ordering?" No comment on how I felt or anything. I'm really upset and don't know what to do. Xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    What you havent spoke to her since christmas x
  • Kate7695
    Kate7695 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I've messaged her, but I haven't heard back until today. It was was her birthday yesterday and there was presents ans a card but nothing. I spoke to my best friend earlier and we just don't understand how she can be so flippant and distant. She had a party too. X

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics