Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Are there any older brides out there.

tracy P, 8 of July of 2012 at 17:01 Posted on Planning 0 189

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and reception, but I still want to feel special on that day. Does anyone else feel like this?

189 replies

Latest activity by George, 11 of October of 2022 at 22:25
  • Moschops
    Beginner March 2014
    Moschops ·
    • Hide content

Me!!! I will be 42 when I marry, I felt a bit like you 2 start with esp as it's my 2nd time, but I have been pleasantly surprised at other peoples reactions, they have been nothing but supportive.

It's my oh 1st wedding and he's 7yrs younger so he wanted the whole hog, and at first I was a bit oh what will people think, but the more planning we've been doing the better it's been getting and I'm loving the whole experience.

My advice would be to embrace the whole idea, have exactly what you both want, and enjoy every minute, if someone judges you then that's their problem. ?

• Taylory
    Beginner July 2014
    Taylory ·
    • Hide content

Im not a older bride myself but my mother in law married( she was 50 i think ) not last august but the august before Smiley smile she has a big dress ( alexia w136) and a normal size wedding . It was her 2nd marriage and her partner who is 20 years younger was his first. Life is to short so do what makes you happy Smiley smile x

• Julieo
    Beginner September 2012
    Julieo ·
    • Hide content

I am 47 and we have been together for17 years so felt slightly embarrassed when we announced we were getting married. But the response from friends and family has been fantastic (life been a bit rough over last couple of years so decided we needed something to celebrate) and I'm enjoying organising a great party. Fab thing about being older is that I'm less hung up on small details than I would've been if we'd married in the early days. Got myself a vintage couture dress, OH will wear a sharp suit and we'll have a laugh with everyone we love. Sadness that our parents are no longer around but they will be with us on the day. My only dilemma is do I tell the make-up artist how old I am before she arrives to do the trial this week or shall I keep it a suprise?! ?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

I'm 38 and a second time bride. I did worry about the whole dress thing, but have found one that is fairly simple, and modified it by taking out 3 of the layers of skirt and having the train taken off. Still bridal, but not mutton dressed as lamb.

My aunt married for the first time age 53 and still had the full wedding dress thing, and looked lovely:

• swampy1901
    Beginner August 2012
    swampy1901 ·
    • Hide content

I will be 51 so you ain't got nothing to worry about!! ? and I have been with my OH for 11 years now and we only decided to get married 4 months ago!! We have both been married before and our day will be fairly relaxed and informal. Both our families have been really enthusiastic and are looking forward to getting glammed up for the day!!

There is nothing wrong with you being excited about getting married - after all it's a happy occasion!! I'm looking forward to my hen do next weekend - my daughter has planned it all and as I never had a hen night for my first marriage it will be a new and novel experience for me!!?

Like Julieo I have found that I'm not getting hung up about stuff - we are still waiting on rsvps for 20 odd people but if they don't reply I will chase them once and they will be told - if you don't reply - we would love to see you at the wedding but there will be no meal for you!! So you'll be sat in the bar waiting for everyone else to finish or you can nip off to the nearest chippy!!

But enjoy yourself and all your planning - it's fun whatever your age!!

Swampy

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

I just photographed a wedding recently where it was the brides 3rd marriage and the grooms 2nd and they are both in their late 40s. They had a wonderful day and the bride looked amazing you can see the photos here http://amirobertsonweddings.com/2012/06/27/andrew-denise-26th-may-2012/

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

I'm 44 & also gone through the same feelings & worried that I'll look old. My OH & I have been together for over 19 years so as word has got out about our wedding lots of people (not close friends) have said they thought we were married already!!

There are definite positives though. Although our parents are involved we are able to do what we want & we are hoping everyone will have a good time. We've got allsorts planned, including a secret venue, & hope that as well as being a special day it will be a fun day. I'm going vintage & have gone for 50s era so even more vintage than me!!! I was shocked to learn that vintage is 1980s up!! Our two boys are pageboys & they are really looking forward to me having the same name as they do! We are enjoying planning music as that has always been a big part of both our lives & we've lived through a few decades of music so lots to choose from!!!

To be honest I'm more nervous about the hen party & looking old! My friends have convinced me to have one but I've insisted no fancy dress, cowgirl hats or banners & we are starting with afternoon tea (although shortly followed by cocktails).

I'm glad there are other older brides on here too. I've never been married before so have lots of same questions & anxieties as brides who are younger but I kind of know what I like more now than when I was younger. Our friends & family are really pleased & are getting quite excited & so are we. It's our day & we'll all shine whatever our age!

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Oh so glad that there are other more mature brides out there. I was beginning to feel a bit isolated. My man and I have 5 chldren between us and although we knew we would get married I thought we might pop into the church on a Tuesday afternoon and them go for a meal with the family in the evening. However, the children made it very clear that that was not good enough and wanted to be involved in the wedding and planning. So my son (14) will be giving me away the three girls (18,16,15) are bridesmaids and the eldest wants to do a speech and the baby (2) well the best I can hope for is that he is quietish in the church.?

I hope you will offer your views and advice on the planning. We have both me married before but really feel that a more relaxed vibe is called for this time.

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Did you look at the photos Ami posted on this thread of a wedding she photographed? The bride looks stunning! I think we're all going to be fine & we'll all look lovely, relaxed & happy!

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Yes I did and I have to agree she looks fab. I have been shying away from the strapless dresses ( which is difficult to do) but having seen these photos I think I might try one. Have you decided what your wearing yet?

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

I think its very difficult for any bride to not look amazing on their wedding day regardless of age! I have never photographed any brides that did not look beautiful I think its because they are always so happy Smiley smile Its all down to what you are comfortable with! I also think whether its marriage number 1,2 or 3 its doesn't matter you are still celebrating your relationship and of course your family and friends are going to want to share that happiness with you.

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

With such positive thoughts coming from a photographer, the photos are bound to be great. Do you cover Scotland by any chance lol.?

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

I decided to go proper vintage (from a vintage shop) & I'm really pleased with my dress. It's not what I had in mind but I loved it when I saw it & it fitted perfectly, right down to the length so whoever wore it before must have been a shortie too!!!!

Mine isn't strapless but I think go for whatever you like or what feels right when you try it on. Enjoy choosing x

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps you cover Yorkshire Ami??? I agree your attitude is brill & will surely help couples to relax.

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

Ahh thank you!! I love my job for the reason I get to be around happy people all day!

I cover the whole of the UK so scotland would be no problem, I have a wedding in Cyprus at the end of september so I guess I cover Europe too Smiley smile

When is your wedding? and where in Scotland are you located? I am actually in the process of planning a midweek break up that to see some friends in the next few weeks so a meeting could be possible. Feel free to drop me an email at *****************@*****.*** if you don't want to post to many details online.

• AmiRobertson
    AmiRobertson ·
    • Hide content

Cake Lady just saw your post and yes yorkshire is no problem Smiley smile

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

Thank you x

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

Yep another older bride here - in my early 40s. I so agree with what everyone else has said - it's a special day to celebrate your relationship and make some wonderful promises to each other, so let's make the most of it, and all our friends and family will enjoy celebrating with us. ? I'm definitely doing a 'proper' wedding dress, although I haven't decided what style yet - I like the slimline ones, but I like a couple of big A-line dresses too! and it'll probably be strapless, although witha fur shrug to keep me warm in Dec ?

And I do feel that because our remaining parents are all quite elderly, we probably have more freedom for it to be 'our' day without them wanting to invite loads of their friends, or to 'impress' people etc, which does sometimes happen. I guess we have a bit more idea of how we want the day to be, too, and I'm less anxious about what other people think than when I was younger. The downside is having to worry about whether they will all be well enough on the day, and my Mum no longer being with us. But she'll be very close in my thoughts that day.

• princessme
    Beginner August 2014
    princessme ·
    • Hide content

ME!!

I am 48 and getting married in 2yrs when i will be 50... i too am getting excited at prospect of finding the right dress but from the few i have tried on the style i would love - big princess style - they just wouldnt suit me ☹️ Some of the dresses that the lady in the shop brought out were really dire and even my daughters commented on them. got the impression the lady in the shop that i shouldnt be looking at all at the pretty dresses. Needless to say i wont be going back there. In some ways its put me off wanting to try any more on as i dont want to look like an old lady in a beautiful dress.

Although its my 2nd marriage, the 1st was when i was 20 and only lasted 8 yrs i am loving all the planning and on what to have. Its lovely to see what everyone else is having and chatting about. Smiley smile

• O
    Beginner August 2012
    olderbride ·
    • Hide content

I am getting married in August and will be 53 in September. My OH is 57. I also worried about looking too old and my dress, although a wedding dress, is quite an understated style but sparkly!

As someone else said i am more worried about the hen do. I really think i'm too old to be having one. However my family and workmates insisted. We are going for a meal and to a Mamma Mia tribute night - I can't wait!!!

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tracy P ·
    • Hide content

Soo lovely to hear all your possitive stories. I am looking forward with more confidence now. Thanks girls xx

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Choose something you love as it`s still your special day whatever age you are. You will look gorgeous just like the younger girls do. My sister remarried 3 years ago at 49 to a younger man , and looked lovely.

just enjoy your day

lynne

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and thank you for posting how I feel! I'm really excited, I've found a very flattering dress and as I've never had a white wedding before it's a proper dress, ivory with a lace over coat, Nicola Anne, Abella and feel it flatters without turning into mutton (clapping hands) I've also minimised everything and only have the one worry....what to do with the minimal guests doing the minimal amount after the food is all gone! ?

I'm also 46 so will be nearly 48 by the time we get there on 16th August 2014. It's so nice to hear what everyone else has planned.

• Red August
    Beginner August 2013
    Red August ·
    • Hide content

It's quite a relief knowing there is older brides out there. I was 41 yesterday and will be nearly 42 when I get married.

At first I wanted a very small wedding as I thought I'd look a wally with all the trimmings of a big dress and reception but I've realised I don't care anymore and I'll have what I want.

The only thing I haven't done is the whole wedding dress shopping as i found a dress i really liked and just bought it, and my OH is just going to buy a nice suit.

• M
    Beginner November 2015
    Misplaced Brit ·
    • Hide content

Well, I'm not an older bride (will be 37 when we marry), but my groom will be an older groom at 50 lol.

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

I was in my 40'smyself when I got married for the 2nd time and I have to say I felt a lot more relaxed about the whole day. I didnt feel the pressure half as badly as my first wedding and myself and my husband (who is sadly no longer with us) had exactly what we wanted.

From a business point of view a large proportion of the brides I have in my shop are more mature brides. I currently have 24 and they range in age from 24 to 54, with a large number of them in their 40's. Older brides are great fun as they are much more open to wearing colours on their wedding day. Also with the current trend being for lace covering over a sweetheart or straight neckline (as per Justin Alexander), theres simply a fabulous range of dresses out there to suit every age and shape.

Have a fabulous day and enjoy every moment x

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We got married just 12 months ago, I was 45 , H was 43.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You are 45???? You look hot Lady!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am 41 and my husband is 57. We had our in June and have both been married before. It was bigger than my 1st wedding and I wore a white bridal gown. Just because you are older doesn't make your day any less special, have what you want and don't worry about what anyone may or may not say.

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

46 as of last Monday

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

I must be the oldest ☹️ I will be 55 when I get married in February and yes I feel old but Im still going for a big wedding with all the trimmings. My dress. I feel its my special day although I was concerned about wearing an Ivory wedding dress, it looks nice and I feel good in it......... who cares what others think, we are just as young in our hearts and minds, just the body gives out as you get older!!!

ecil

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is that you in your dress hun?! It's gorgeous & you look fantastic!!

I turn 40 the month before I get married & did worry that I shouldn't have a proper wedding dress at first but thought 'Sod it' & I'm having what I want!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics