Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Are there any older brides out there.

tracy P, 8 of July of 2012 at 17:01

Posted on Planning 189

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and...

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and reception, but I still want to feel special on that day. Does anyone else feel like this?

189 replies

• Julieo
    Beginner September 2012
    Julieo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Would like to say it's our stress free lives but really have to say lucky genes! Not longevity though sadly none of our parents were still with us when we got married. There in spirit and love though.

• Julieo
    Beginner September 2012
    Julieo ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. Would like to say it's our stress free lives but really have to say lucky genes! Not longevity though sadly none of our parents were still with us when we got married. There in spirit and love though.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Have bought a wish tree!!! don't know why i'm so excited, I guess I'm thinking it will keep everyone entertained. OH also has a mother and a polaroid camera and that will keep everyone entertained! And whilst I was withdrawing funds from the wedding account decided to pay the deposit on my button bouquet. I also played dress up today so have more pics of................ME! I must stop clapping my hands but I'm loving this x

P.S I think I'm turning into bridezilla! ?

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

You look stunning, enjoy every minute. Your dress is gorgeous, would love to see pics of you bouquet when you can x xxxx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Thankyou ? I will post the pic as soon as I've received the bouquet but I don't think it will be this year. You're getting married very soon! Are you all ready? x

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

Hi, yes I get married on the 2nd Feb 2013 and almost ready. Been to meet the step grandchildren today who are both going to be flower girls, 4 and 6 year olds, they were so excited as I took the bouquets and headdresses with me for them to try on and I let them chose their dresses to wear on the day, they felt really important and very special bless them. Just have some final bits to do and then sit back and wait for the big day. Im so nervous though, more nervous than when I I married my first husband as 20 year old, you would think confidence came with age but not in my case! x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Why so nervous? Although I can't comment as mine is so far away...I'm very excited just now, I hope I'm not nervous as I've not had a white wedding before and I just want to enjoy every bit. x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Awwww you look gorgeous! The dress is so lovely & you're so slim!!! x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, thank you but i'm going to buy a big pair of spanx as i have the pot belly of a momma of 2 plus old age ? I read about them today, did you know that they have a pee hole! oh my...i've just got to have a pair. What you can't see in the pic is the was that the dress gently folds itself under the ribbon so it either goes out a tad or I go in a tad! But it does look ok from the back..this dress cost me £200 in a closing down sale....brand new just needs taking up, I must stop trying it on. Eldest says that i'm going to be on here wearing it whilst I type soon (hmmmm thought!) When you getting your dress, are you going to play dress up too! x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha! No, I didn't know proper spanx have a pee hole!

You got a bargain there hun & it really suits you.

I'm not gonna get my dress til the New Year now. I won't be able to play dress up for 3 or 4 months though because it'll be too small for me until I reach my goal weight in June/July! x

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

You should feel excited, and doesnt matter how old you are it is still your wedding day, which is very special. You will look lovely i am sure. Try not to stress.

Lynne

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Oh, that's not fun, with Christmas coming up as well! How does it work with a shop, when do you order and all the rest of it? I'm still looking at pics of wedding dresses but I am more than happy with my dress. I think that Spanx can wait for a little while otherwise i'll be dressing up again.....if only i could borrow a pair ? x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Lynne

I don't think that I will stop being excited, forever buying things as well, then I bore myself and stop for a while. Finding this website is like fuelling an addiction, I can find out anything about everything but then I have to buy it and a vicious circle starts ? I guess when you're an older bride; you know what you like, can afford what you want but know that by 2014 may have forgotten what it was! x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The shop said I'd need to pay half when I order. I have just ordered my wedding rings (squee!) which will need paying for next month so can't afford to do that this side of Christmas. Plus I want a couple more trying on days cuz they're fun! I don't feel like I'll find anything I like more than that dress but you never know!

I am seeing a lady on Monday to talk about my flowers, centre pieces & chair covers. I met her at a Wedding Fayre & she's quite rustic orientated which is perfect for me! Did you manage to find my post with pics of all my ideas? It will probably be pages back now but if you click on my name & look for my posts you should find it easier :o)

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

You did make me chuckle with the bit about trying on the dress, i am not alone! I'm going to make my daughters wear navy blue because it looks classy with the ivory but you know when they say it's YOUR day that they really don't want to wear them...hey ho! i'm mum they're wearing THEM! The picture of your dress is so lovely but like you said it won't harm to look at more. I've spoken to the hotel and got some prices off them and pictures of the room so I'm very happy with that. Wedding rings and cake are giving me a bit of a ponder as nothing comes to mind yet. I will go and look at your posts :0)

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

It's true though, it IS your day ?

What did you think of my theme/ideas?

I tried on my wedding ring again tonight! The jeweller had to pop round to take the other half's size again this evening & he had his full kit with him so I had another look at the ring I've chosen & took pics of it! I squealed which I think he found rather amusing!

Do you know of a jeweller who offers a bespoke service? I thought I wouldn't be able to afford it but I'm getting a gorgeous handmade ring for £240.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

There are some fabulous,stylish brides out there ! I'm in the older brides category too,I suppose, although I hadn't actually thought of myself as older until I saw this thread,lol.

I will be 43 and my OH 41 by the time we get wed in April,it's the first time for both of us and I don't worry about looking muttony...the good thing about being older is by now,we know what suits us and what doesn't,so hopefully unlikely to get stuck with terrible photos for the next millennium! Anyone who knows us is thrilled that we're getting married,and they're the people who count. I really think attitudes have changed a lot now ,gone are the days when an older bride had to wear a dull suit and get shunted off to the town hall!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi!

Selenalee69 - muttony what a wonderful word, with permission from you I fear I may reproduce it! Your wedding is quite close are you all ready with dresses and things. Mines not for 18 months but I'm tearing up the wedding world in a frenzy of buying ? Please share if you can and want to as I love looking at other peoples ideas and I'll try not to pilfer too!

Sarah - rings! Please tell me more about your rings and bespoke! I hadn't thought of that and it's a bit of a steal the price you're paying. Where does your gem or a jeweller come from? I know what I want but can't find it, OH wants rose gold and I want rose and white gold in a 2mm band, which I can find but costs way too much. I like my bargains! Any secret pics of the rings to share??? I still can't find your ideas board ?

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Hi alyj66, of course you may use muttony as much as you like,lol :-) I've been fairly laid back with my planning (ie;lazy) . Still need to get & send invites, buy rings,organise venue decs...was organising everything then I got made redundant,so it all went on hold for a little while,then I found a new job and have been so preoccupied I have suddenly realised I have done bugger all and there isn't long left ! I have ordered my dress,that should be arriving within the next couple of weeks,I have my shoes and OH has his suit...still have to decide on my accessories but I need the dress first really. I'm sure it'll all come together at the last minute!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Well I guess you won't have much time for changing your mind regarding decs, venues etc I used Bride and Groom Direct for the save the dates and invites, was easy to do with lots of choice and quick delivery. I'm glad you found a new job there's nothing worse than worry to take the shine off happiness, my goal is to bargain hunt my way through the shopping and am surprised at how cheap (yet still brand new) things can cost with a good haggle! I admire your laid backness :0)

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

You're right,I think the more time you have to plan,the more you worry about soppy little details as there is so much choice now! Having said that, once I chose my dress (which was the first one I liked and tried on) I then knew what look I was going for. The venue decs are going to be chosen by what actually goes with the venue,rather than some theme which will create nightmares about what goes with what. We just want a good knees-up with our friends really! I'm sure they don't care about the colour of the napkins :-)

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm happier now I've seen the venue and can see what will go where with minimal effort. All we want is for our guests to embrace the spirit of the day, enjoy themselves and create a good atmosphere. Even an older person can get away with saying 'meh' when it's all too much faff! My simple theme will remain, I'm not having placement cards, table layout or favours..........it's just us as we are (apart from I have a posh dress!) ?

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

Oh,us too...now if I'd had £30,000 to spend and loads of family that would have been different...I would have enjoyed choosing a theme and all the trimmings ,table names and all that,but there are going to be no more than 50 guests and the place is pretty informal...the only way we'll do a plan is if there is a space issue as I'm doubting the seating capacity they've told us. We're just not those sort of stand on ceremony kind of people really,to me it all feels a bit silly being all serious with people you got sloshed with down the pub the night before!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

You're having more people than me! Our wedding is informal the only formal thing is the time we're getting married and the time we're eating. I want things to look beautiful with a little bit of aah because of some of the thought and effort that has gone into the day but I don't want things to be so formal that we're all different people and we don't know what to say to each other! It really bothered me when we first started planning the where and when but now it's not such a worry.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

You're having more people than me! Our wedding is informal the only formal thing is the time we're getting married and the time we're eating. I want things to look beautiful with a little bit of aah because of some of the thought and effort that has gone into the day but I don't want things to be so formal that we're all different people and we don't know what to say to each other! It really bothered me when we first started planning the where and when but now it's not such a worry.

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

That's good- I think it's all a bit over whelming when you first start planning, I then got an attack of the f***its and became totally chilled about the whole thing. 50 is probably the most that will come,it may only end up between 30-35,you know what people are like these days, they don't seem to want to put themselves out. I think smaller weddings are more intimate and fun, I have been to bigger ones where people tend to stay in cliques and nobody mingles-at our one, they won't have any choice but to talk to eachother!

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I found the jeweller at a Wedding Fayre. I wrongly assumed I wouldn't be able to afford a bespoke service but he works from home so his prices aren't hideous! I thought I'd see him & find out whether I could afford him before dismissing him. I'm so glad I did! Here's a pic of the ring I'm having, I tried it on again last night when he popped round to get the OH's size :o)

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Selenalee69 - I only had 6 at my first wedding but that barely counts; I can remember my mother saying how lucky I was that she came as it was foggy, needless to say she's not invited to this one. I'm 46 and know that I want people there who are genuine and will help us celebrate, my days of pleasing those just for the sake of it are gone....it's so liberating. ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

SarahW - I think that i'm going to have to steal your jeweller, That's beautiful ?

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh,your mum sounds like a right one,lol ! Funny how weddings seem to bring out some peoples worst sides ,some of the comments you read on here make me glad we don't have hundreds of people putting their two penneth in. Glad you are feeling liberated now-you can put the memories past and enjoy your second wedding as you like it ! Priorities change so much as you get older, if I was 20 something now I suppose all I'd be bothered about was how many people were coming and how impressive it would all look. Of course now all that's important to me is the fact that I'm marrying someone lovely and celebrating with people I actually like to spend time with. Here's to liberation !? cheers!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Get me one of those, it may be a school night but here's to liberation! ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Bridesmaids dresses bought! You wouldn't believe how little I've spent on potentially the most important parts of the wedding...so smug! ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics