Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Are there any older brides out there.

tracy P, 8 of July of 2012 at 17:01

Posted on Planning 189

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and...

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and reception, but I still want to feel special on that day. Does anyone else feel like this?

189 replies

• C
    Beginner August 2013
    CityOA ·
    • Hide content

'maturer' not older Smiley winking thats a better way of saying it!

I'm 39, 3rd marriage (which is actually the worse thing about the whole thing, something i am very very ashamed of tbh - but the second one should be banished to the 'it never happened' bench)

I am actually really excited, mainly due to knowing i have found the most perfect (forever!) partner! we should all be acting like giggly school girls and i am sure all your weddings will be awesome Smiley smile

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I'm uber excited & emotional! It's my 1st time x

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

Yes that is me in my dress and it feels so special not just cuz it look good but Im size 20 and it very flattering, shows my curves off just nicely x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

It's perfect & looks absolutely gorgeous hun! I'm a 20 in wedding dresses at the moment & have been surprised how flattering the right styles can be on me ?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Not me, but my Mum is getting married again, at the age of 50. She is marrying my Dad (again, after over 20 years apart), who will be 55. This will be her third marriage, second time to my dad, who was her first husband. Still with me?? ?

She has slimmed down from a size 24, to a 12, and she looks FAB in her dress. She's not having a traditional dress, but she still looks like a gorgeous bride.

I'm their wedding planner ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Aw what a lovely story! I hope you don't mind me asking but how did she lose the weight & how long did it take? x

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was simply watching what she ate, cutting out alcohol and plenty of exercise. It has taken a year.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! I've only lost 23lb in 6 months! I was terrible over the summer though so my own fault!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Cutting out alcohol was a big thing for her, she had a proper beer belly (so much so, people would ask if she was pregnant). I think that is what had the biggest impact.

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

I'm 39 and get married next month. It's my first time.? Although OH was married in his early 20s. He's the same age as me.

I'm glad I waited for the right fella (kissed ALOT of frogs before I found him). All my close circle of friends have been married for ages so I'm the last one of them. (& the oldest too)

I feel really relaxed about the wedding & probably more so than if i'd done it years ago. I'm much more confident and happy in myself than I ever used to be. I think i've finally grown up! ?

We'll have a joint hen & stag do too. 15years ago I would have wanted my own do as I was out clubbing all the time, but now, I just want to be with friends. (who are all mutual friends & couples anyway)

My dress is understated & elegant, but I love it. I cannot wait to be married to my best friend.xx

Oh & TinaSharp! Whit Whooo!! You look amazing!!xx

• littlecathy
    Beginner August 2013
    littlecathy ·
    • Hide content

My mum was 50 when she remarried and it was a fantastic day. I think it was made all the better as she was older and knew what she wanted from her day, as well as having her daughters there! It was classy and sophisticated and there was no-one being stupidly drunk or making idiots of themselves beacuse everyone was more mature than that.

She had a long ivory shift dress with a beautiful beaded shrug over it, and simple flowers in her hair. All the guests were actual friends rather than random family members you have to invite when you're younger, so it was lovely.

From what I know, it was a million times better than her first wedding (to may dad, whilst pregnant with me ?)

• Julieo
    Beginner September 2012
    Julieo ·
    • Hide content

We got married on 21/9/12 and just had the best day ever. No one thought anything of us being older - from the photos we could see that everyone enjoyed the day as much as we did. I am 47 and husband is about to turn 50.

as as we did

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

It's been lovely having a look at all your wedding dress pics, I've attached a pic of my bargain dress, I've yet to have it taken up. I'm thinking that the ribbon thing should go under the bust rather than cutting me in half ? This is the first time I've worn a wedding dress, I'm 46 now and will be nearly 48 when I get married, I'll take any comments so if this is really mutton, I'm happy to listen!

Ladies, you're all wonderful and I'm loving your support, encouragement and enthusiasm x

• F
    Beginner October 2015
    Fenellasmum ·
    • Hide content

I will be 46 when we get married in 2015 so you're not on your own.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You both look much younger! x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's elegant & lovely & you look fabulous hun. I think the ribbon looks fine just wear it is too :o) x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Thank you so much! Eldest daughter is coming home tonight so i'm going to play dress up again ? with the jewellery I have, I'll repost with the ribbon thingy under the bust and would appreciate the compare and contrast comments. I'm so pleased that there is an unbiased audience ? x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I look forward to seeing the pic!

Here's me in the dress I love (I haven't ordered it yet)

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Oh my! the dress is flattering and just so beautiful...you've got to get it ? have you thought of jewellery? i'll put my on when i do dress up lol i'm having a button bouquet, just got to pay the deposit. Have you bought anything yet?

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Here's the dress my Mum is wearing

She looks gorgeous in it. She's bought some killer heels too, she just needs to practice walking in them ?. I chose this dress, just hope it still fits in May, the rate she's losing weight she'll have to get another one...

I'm making my Mums bouquet. Fabric flowers and buttons.

Can you spot the Hello kitty button??? That's going in my BM bouquet ?? There's also a penguin button, as my Dad loves penguins.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I haven't thought about jewellery yet to be honest. I saw some at a Wedding Fayre that's handmade & personalised & will be checking out the website once I decide on my dress! I'm gonna try on some more dresses in the new year but I do love that one!

Oh button bouquets are awesome! Have you got a pic of which one you're having?!

So far I've paid for my cake (it was an offer through Groupon so I had to pay upfront). We have designed & chosen our wedding rings & I'm going order them next week & they'll take 4 weeks to make. I've bought some twig garlands (well my Sis did) for the top table & the ceremony table. I've chosen my photographer & paid him a deposit. That's it! What have you bought/ordered/paid deposits on? x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I love the dress, killer heels, i'm impressed...i'm going to have to go for kitten heels as i spend most of my days in magnum boots. i'm having a button bouquet similar to this one, i've got brooches that go with mine and the OH's jobs and a bit of blue for luck.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That dress is lovely & so is the bouquet! Do you do it for a living?! x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's gorgeous hun! x

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't, no. I just thought i'd "have a go". The white flower on its own, was the first one I made, luckily my Mum has faith in my crafty ability. She has seen a few of the flowers, but isn't seeing the finished bouquets until the actual day.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I've bought my dress, jewellery, nearly deposit button bouquet, invites, save the dates, booked the church, spoken to the hotel and chosen a menu. i think that's about it for now. Daughters are 22 and 20 and they'll be the bridesmaids, i'm going to do artificial flowers and have pew end bows so i don't have them to flap about it. We live in Lincolnshire and getting married in Cumbria! The only thing that I have worries about is the evening bit, i'm only having about 30 guests and hadn't planned on having any entertainment and am now concerned as they might get bored..........need some ideas! ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

When do you get married? x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I've bought & sent out Save the Dates, they were magnets. I think I'm going to get the same lady to do my invites. I've also booked my venue & registrar. I have my Sister, 7 friends, my best friend's Daughter & my Daughter as bridesmaids! I get married on Friday 20th September next year.

Where will the evening reception be hun? x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

My save the dates are magnets too, i'll send them with Christmas cards. i'm not getting married until 16th August 2014 but i only see OH 10 weeks a year at the min. That's alot of bridesmaids, i've enough problems with getting the 2 to agree on a style! the wedding is at 1630hrs, food at 1800hrs ish in the hotel where we're all staying and that's about it. i could ask everyone to eat slowly and drink lots ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Only one of them isn't keen on what I have chosen. Have you seen my thread with pics of all my ideas? Everything I've thought of so far is on there.

Maybe the room you're in has piped music? If not, could the hotel provide some sort of background music? x

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Could you use an ipod and ipod dock for some background music?

I know a few Hitchers have done that before.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

And thank you too ebony_rose. we can take our ipod and have music but will it be boring? what happens when all the food is gone and there's a deadly silence lol i've not been on your thread, how do you get to it? x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics