Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Are there any older brides out there.

tracy P, 8 of July of 2012 at 17:01

Posted on Planning 189

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and...

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and reception, but I still want to feel special on that day. Does anyone else feel like this?

189 replies

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

They're gorgeous! Where from?!

You can steal my jeweller if you like hun ?

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

I have the exact same wedding ring from F Hinds, goes lovely with my twisted engagement ring xx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I bought them from Preloved and having them shipped as we speak. Bargain at it's best! So happy............ OH is buying the wedding rings, mine was a surprise engagement and I didn't choose that ring and he did well so I thought that I would leave it to him again. Saves all my indecisiveness ?

• Selenalee69
    Beginner April 2013
    Selenalee69 ·
    • Hide content

They're fab! I do luuuurve a bargain :-)

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

It's a lovely ring isn't it? ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

It's a lovely ring isn't it? ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I have now received the dresses and they're better than I thought they would be.........happy! I can now sit back and relax for a little while and give the OH a break (he's on Skype 80% of the time so he can mute me!) until next year and that would be 6 weeks?? ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Aw that's great hun. There's no way I'm likely to find 8 dresses in the right size, style & colour! I've found a dress maker that will make what I want for £75-85. She sent me some colour samples today ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

What colour are you going for? EIGHT bridesmaids, I don't envy you when you're all getting ready ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for a mid to dark orange. I also have a junior bridesmaid & my Daughter will be flower girl!

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for a mid to dark orange. I also have a junior bridesmaid & my Daughter will be flower girl!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

What are you going to do for your shoes? I'm so stuck, I want a flash of colour but needs to be a kitten heel...☹️ I have these and I like the bow on the front but not the colour of the shoe

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Eldest daughter dislikes the BM dresses intensely but I think that she looks elegant and she WILL wear it! ?

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm 47 & got engaged last week. It is the second wedding for both of us & I'm soooooo exited. We are looking to get married in Aril 2014. It will be a small wedding with just 25-30 close family & friends. Im hoing to get some ideas for small weddings from this site.

Cath x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I have no idea what I'm doing shoe wise yet hun! I don't have my dress yet so shoes & accessories won't be decided until then. Why don't you like that colour?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

They're really lovely hun & she looks lovely too! Why doesn't she like them?!

I gave my dressmaker the go ahead to order the material for my bridesmaid dresses yesterday! I feel a bit nervous because I've chosen the colour from a tiny little sample of material! I think it's the right colour!

Forgive me if I've already posted these pics but this is what the adult bridesmaids are wearing but the colour is more orange than that:

And this is what the junior bridesmaid will be wearing in cream:

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Cath

Congratulations!

I'm having quite a big wedding (95 in the day & 200+ in the evening) so can't help with small wedding ideas. I think another lady on this thread is having a small wedding though x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to the older bracket ? I'm 46 and having a similar number at my (our lol) wedding in August 2014 so I'm more than happy to swap ideas ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I'm loving the colour! I can see how it would be nerve wracking though!

I don't have a clue why they don't like the dresses but it's tough, they're wearing them. It's MY day lol

The main colour of the shoe is a denim ☹️ but I like the bow, I've plenty of time to scout around. I'm a bit more laid back as I was off work sick and had a whole week to categorise all the bits that I want and put them into months for purchasing. I fear that I've gone too far.

OOH my button bouquet is nearly ready, I'll flash as soon as I have it!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

More bridesmaid dresses purchased, so I now have 4 dresses and 2 BM's just so my little darlings are kept happy ? I can sell them as a job lot and include the cravats that no one wants to wear!

original;

and additional; in Ocean blue so they're the same designer, same material just different style;

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Oops forgot to attach ?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

So which dress are you going with hun? I have to say, I prefer the original, it's gorgeous!

I'm going to write some more in depth lists whilst I'm off over Christmas! I have a folder but everything needs putting in plastic pockets & in sections. Everything is just chucked in there at the moment!

I haven't heard from the jeweller yet but I'm expecting our wedding rings any day now!

I haven't managed to meet that woman about my flowers, centre pieces & chair covers yet. We have to keep cancelling for various reasons! I've told her to leave it til the New Year now.

Do you have your bouquet yet?!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

The youngest daughter will wear the original one and eldest wil wear the new one. They should be here tomorrow in time for her to try them on when she's home for Christmas. I can then take a pic of the dresses aka bridesmaids together.

All my folders are on the computer, in months for buying, bought and to sell (already) lol I've got a wedding planner but only put in wedding list and prices of the hotel, food etc

OH is home next week ? I haven't seen him since August but wedding talk has to go on hold until next summer as we can't fit everything in over Christmas lol But I bend his ear on Skype so he's up to speed. He's also choosing the rings. I can't wait to see yours again, it's lovely.

The bouquet is nearly ready I have some sneaky snaps of it and I just can't wait to see it for real now.

Have you finally got the plans and colour for your BM's chosen? What colour scheme are your flowers and chair covers going to be?

I'm going to be on and off over the Christmas period as I'm working everyday apart from Boxing Day but won't be far away, well apart from walking in Scotland over New Year!

Have you got time off?

• Annie k
    Beginner June 2013
    Annie k ·
    • Hide content

I will be 54 when I get married next June and had all the worries mentioned at first. Was afraid to go into a wedding dress shop! But now I am really enjoying it and looking forward to the day. My OH will be 48 and it's the 2nd time for both of us

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Annie

Welcome to the older category. I'm 46 and will be 48 when we get married, the OH will be a few years younger. This isn't our first marriage but it will be my first white wedding/church thingy so I'm very excited.

Have you chosen your dress?

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I look forward to seeing that pic!

I have spreadsheets for the budget, savings & guest list on the computer. I haven't planned what I'm gonna buy when though!

You haven't seen your OH for 4 months?! I bet you're really excited! How long is he home for?

I still haven't heard anything from the jeweller.

I settled on orange & ivory as my colours a while ago. I've got to have white chair covers though because the linen provided by my venue is white. Ivory chair covers would look weird next to white table cloths! I'm going for this as it will go well with my rustic theme:

The colour of that gerbera is pretty much the colour I've chosen for the bridesmaid dresses. My bouquet will be mainly gerberas & will be tied with raffia. The bridesmaids are going to have 3 long stems of gerberas tied with raffia.

Gosh I thought I was hard done to having to work the 27th & 28th!! What do you do? I've booked Xmas Eve & NYE off & we get Xmas day, Boxing day & NYD off anyway.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Annie

Are you having a big or small wedding? What sort of dress have you gone for? x

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

OH is only home for 2 weeks but I've got one week off New Year week. I'm an employee of HM so every day is a normal day!

I was lucky with my venue as all their linen is ivory so next extra cost.

I love gerberas, my favourite flower and my favourite colour...orange! So I'm really looking forward to seeing all your ideas put together. It's all becoming a little real!

We've just got the venue, food and hotel to pay for and we're there, thank goodness. That won't stop me from buying bits and bobs.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

We have abandoned the idea of getting married in the UK. We decided that we were just doing that for other people. What we really want is to get married abroad, just the two of us. It will be lovely & intimate.

We are looking at couples swept away in Jamaica, or possibly Hawaii. We will take our close friends & family out for a meal when we get back.

My daughter is also getting married in the same year as me. She will get married in the Januart 2014 & we will be in the March of 2014.

Lots of planning & exiting times to come x

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

At least you have some time off in the New Year then hun. I've only got 3 holiday days to see me through until the beginning of April when I have the week before Easter booked off. With weekends & the bank hols I'll be off for 10 days & I can't wait! I get my new holiday entitlement on May 1st. I've already booked time off for my hen weekend, my 40th & of course the wedding!

Being as you never found my thread with all the pics of my ideas I'll post them on here for you later. You'll know what I'm wittering on about then!

We've got loads to pay for yet!

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

The jeweller rang not long ago, he's deliverying our wedding rings tomorrow night! ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

OH home, Christmas decs up so back to weddings ?But no flashes whilst he's around as I'm afraid that I'll flash the dress instead!

Where are your ideas, I'm looking forward to looking at them? And did the wedding rings turn up?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics