Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner January 2015

Are there any older brides out there.

tracy P, 8 of July of 2012 at 17:01

Posted on Planning 189

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and...

Hi, I was just wondering if there are any older brides to be out there, I am 46 and sometimes feel too old to be excited about the whole wedding day. I think I am worried that I could end up looking like mutton dressed as lamb or that I just look old. I have tried to minimise the service and reception, but I still want to feel special on that day. Does anyone else feel like this?

189 replies

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Aw it must be great to have him home!

I haven't had chance to put the pics on from home as my little girl is poorly & we've had a rough couple of nights.

Yes the jeweller came round with our wedding rings! Mine was very tight & it hurt when he took it off! As I'm gonna lose another 2st I'm going to leave it until nearer the time to see whether it needs resizing. He's making my engagement ring smaller nearer the time too as it's actually 2 sizes too big!

Anyway, I love the rings! The OH designed his own! Here they are:

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

Your Wedding ring is exactly the same as mine ? xx

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We obviously have great taste ? xx

• Not The Mother Of The Bride
    Beginner September 2013
    Not The Mother Of The Bride ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I had a quick look through this thread and think I might be the oldest bride of all....I'm 57 and my partner will be 64.

We're both widowed after very long marriages and this is a big deal for us both.

It's going to be so hard to get the wedding just right...I don't want to look like the mother of the bride but I don't want to look as though I'm 'trying too hard' yet this wedding is every bit as important as our first marriages.

As well as being OLD....(don't you just hate getting older?), I'm only 4'10" so I'm dreading going shopping for my dress.

Are there any other brides out there who can give me some pointers or advice? I'd be very grateful to hear from them.

?

NTMOTB

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome, I love your avatar ?

Congratulations on your betrothal, when are you getting married? Have you any ideas of what you would like? I think the main thing is not discount anything without trying it on. We're all kinds of shapes, sizes and ages and every dress that I've seen has suited the person that chose it. We all like a good *flash* on here, so send any pics and we'll be sure to give you an honest opinion, happy shopping.

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

Hello lovely ladies. I'm in my golden jubiliee year and will be getting married on April 2013. Hopefully the 6th when we get round to finalising with registrar and hotel. I will be 49 and my man will 52. 2nd marriage for both of us. Mum has told me not to go mad! ? I've bought a beautiful ivory dress with a small train and I'm wearing the shoes in my avatar. My 21 year old girls will wear whatever I say and I'm having my best friends and family at the do. Probably only about 50. I cannot wait!!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How did you manage that! ? I have finally told my 21 & 23 year old that they WILL be wearing one of these, as we've had a huge palaver over what they did and didn't like;

Youngest is wearing the one strap and eldest the strapless. I've also bought a proper wedding dress as I've not worn one before and we're having about 30 guests, I've a long while to wait but I'm still excited!

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

They said they would and I believe them lol! Daughter no 1 will actually wear a dress so that will be amazing! I'm loving the dresses you have chosen. I was thinking of blue but now think for an April wedding yellow would be better. I am about to order this shrug thing to go with my dress. Best be quick as the sale ends soon.

http://www.lightinthebox.com/gorgeous-lace-long-sleeve-wedding-jackets-wraps-with-beading-more-colors_p422923.html

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello Alyj66,

I'm new here and not sure whether your reply was to me or not....but I'm answering in the assumption that it was(forgive the intrusion if it was for someone else though please)

We're getting married mid September in a lovely country house hotel which is small but cosy and we've been assured that we'll be the only ones there on the day which is nice!

I've been online constantly choosing and looking and am awaiting empire line dresses from Monsoon which I can send back if unsuitable. I need to hide a bit of a tummy and my waist is non existent but otherwise I'm quite slim for an old bird of 57...I hope they suit me or it'll be back to the drawing board for me!

It's so nice to see a thread featuring older brides with people who are so encouraging. I felt sorry for the lady who went shopping in a bridal shop where the assistant made her feel awkward at looking at the 'pretty dresses' I don't see why we older ladies should be discouraged from looking lovely too.

Lovely reading everyone's input on this thread and I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling a bit nervy!

?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It was for you and your avatar still makes me laugh. Are you having a small wedding this year? I didn't go to any shops to try on dresses as it's not something that I would enjoy, I look forward to seeing your dress...if you like it lol

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content

Hia ha! I love that avatar too but I hope you realise that I'm a bit younger than the lady in the avi! ?

Our wedding is prob a medium size with about 60 for the day and 100 for the evening which should be just cosy for the size of the venue.

I was hoping that my Monsoon delivery would arrive today but it will more likely be tomorrow or Friday now. If I manage to choose the right dress I'm hoping that I won't look like The Mother of the Bride or have any of the female guests outshining me with their outfits! (I can't compete with the youngsters though!)

Have you found your dress yet?

?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

We're only having 30 to the whole shebang...I'm not good with crowds lol I have got 2 dresses as we're having the legal bit and then a church bit. I've never worn a wedding dress before so I decided to buy one for the Church and I'm really happy with it. I hope your dress gets here soon, there's nothing like playing dress up. so exciting.

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content

The dresses arrived and I eagerly tried them .....I looked absolutely awful in one but I'm keeping the other one as 'insurance' in case I can't find anything else. It was only £59 in Monsoon's sale of wedding dresses but it needs adjusting at the straps and taking up....it's good value for the money and pretty but it didn't make me go 'WOW' so basically I'm still looking really.

If nothing else, it will be good for the evening if I spill something during the day! LOL

What style dresses have you chosen for your special day?

?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Any pics of you in the dress? I have pics of my dresses and can show you if you're really interested lol I chose my wedding dress last year and I've still not found anything better (thankfully)

?

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to get off topic, but AmiRobertson is this wedding at Pointing View in Exmouth? My parents got married here and renewed their wedding vows for their 30th Anniversary in Oct 2012! Are you based in Devon?

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content

Hiya...you wouldn't believe it but I just received a skirt that I found on Ebay (told you I hated shopping in bridal shops) and the skirt is just PERFECT! It's what they call tealength, almost circular, white and made from a very pretty lined broderie anglaise and I've just ordered the perfect shrug from Monsoon to go with it.....together with a lovely stiff underpetticoat I'm almost done!

For the first time I'm starting to get excited about what I'm going to wear....it won't be over fancy or too 'showy' and I won't be looking as though I've been playing in someone else's dressing up box!

When the shrug arrives, I'll take some pics to show you!

I'm happy today! ?

And I'd love to see some pics of your dress too!

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your shoes are FABULOUS! ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

I've been playing dress up today and have taken these, forgive the indulgence. All of this was bought from either eBay or online shops. Not only do I hate shopping, I hate paying full price lol

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content

I love your dresses!!! You're going to look absolutely gorgeous. I haven't had a proper trying on session yet but when I do, I'll get the camera out and send you some pics.

Your blue dress is just the sort of style I'd love to wear myself and the wedding dress is stunning!

Shopping online and bargain hunting is a skill that you've honed to perfection!

?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

My whole life is led by the internet, met the OH online dating, chose our house on Rightmove, speak to him everyday on Skype and do all joint purchases online ? and thank you. I look forward to seeing your bargains. My wedding dress was £200! The blue dress was new and a bit of a treat from the OH, £79 from Vivien of Westwood and I really really love it.

• MrsWill2b
    Beginner March 2013
    MrsWill2b ·
    • Hide content

You sound just like me! I too met my blokey online. They aren't all bad. Some idiots out there but they are also the same idiots hanging out in bars and clubs. Well I went House of Fraser the other week, saw a couple of dresses thought would be good for bridesmaids. Showed my girls the pictures. 1 of them liked it, the other thought it looked grannyish ? But you know what, she tried it she loved it and it's a done deal. I will get a few pics up one day. Its a full length boat type neck, navy blue jersey material dress with a bit of ruching round the waist and some bling on the side. Fits them both beautifully. It was £160 reduced to £64. I'm very happy with that. This week i'm going to sort out my wedding ring. Will treat myself to a Cartier plain gold band I think. Also got a meeting with the venue on Wednesday. Ooo its getting nearer!

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Mrs W, yours is very close indeed! My girls haven't been home to try the dresses on together, we'll leave that til Easter. I enjoyed online dating but was glad when I found 'the one' as it's a bit of a market after a while.

Can't wait to see your dresses, I guess it's your daughters for BM's?

Beginner September 2013
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

@alyj66 and Mrs W2b!

The similarities are amazing...I met my OH online and we looked for a house on Rightmove too! I've shopped online for my bridal outfits too!

Thank goodness for the internet eh?

?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Hey, it must be an older generation thing ? who'd of thought that we'd be blazing this trail. Nice to get to know like minded women.

• A
    Beginner March 2014
    Abouttime2 ·
    • Hide content

I will be getting married just before my 40th birthday! It's my first but OH 2nd. We have been together 15 years and engaged for most of that so has taken us a while but life sometimes gets in the way!

My grandmother got married for the third time a couple of years ago aged 82 and it was one of the loveliest weddings ever! So to all you older brides out there my advise is have whatever you want, however you want it and don't give two hoots what anyone thinks!

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey hun! I've seen you posting on other threads, good to have you back!

I see you found some shoes in the end. You look gorgeous in both dresses hun! Love the button bouquet too xx

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

Where have you been? lol You've haven't shown any flashes lately, how's the planning going? I'm all done now and happy with what I've put together (and thank you) so I can sit back until this August when we need to finalise menu and rooms. I'm off to bed now as I'm up at sparrows f**t, look forward to seeing some of yours soon.

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't know how to find this thread so I'm pleased it's been revived lol.

My planning is going well. So far this year we've given notice (I got really emotional!) I've sorted my invites & they'll be made in the next month or so. I've sorted my flowers, chair covers, centre pieces & general decoration. The guest list has been finalised. We've got about 92 in the day & we're inviting 250 in total!

I had dress confusion last week (I think you posted on my thread about it!) but after trying one of the dresses on again yesterday I've made my decision!

I made a board on Pinterest so you can now see all my ideas! Here's the link http://pinterest.com/welly1973/my-dream-wedding/

• tinasharp
    Beginner February 2013
    tinasharp ·
    • Hide content

Well after all the concerns I had at wearing a wedding dress at the age of 55 I felt amazing..... I was so worried people would think me a bit too mature for a traditional Ivory Wedding dress with trail but how wrong I was, everyone said how lovely the dress looked. My day was perfect and I felt like a million dollars........

The New Mrs Walker yehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

Aw congratulations hun! Your dress is lovely & looks gorgeous! xx

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    Mrs2bgj ·
    • Hide content

Same here, 44 and my oh 1st time. I really wanted to go off and do it somewhere on a beach just the two of us (and my children) but understandably he wants the whole shebang. I've come round to it now and in actual fact the planning for this, together, is oh so much better than first time around! My parents are definitely not the main feature of the day this time, I am! Go with it and have fun x

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

Wow! Tinasharp you look beautiful! Love it!

Here's me, aged 39 back in Dec for my wedding. ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics