Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2014

Hunsbury Hill Centre: anyone else?

MOMB, 10 of June of 2013 at 20:26

Posted on Planning 157

I'm sure I've spotted a couple of other Hunsbury planners on here but have lost them. Would it be worth us sharing a thread for ideas? OH and I are all about the bunting! Booked a live band and an acoustic duo, circus skills workshop, barbecue, ice creams and fish and chips. Really really happy with...

I'm sure I've spotted a couple of other Hunsbury planners on here but have lost them. Would it be worth us sharing a thread for ideas?

OH and I are all about the bunting! Booked a live band and an acoustic duo, circus skills workshop, barbecue, ice creams and fish and chips. Really really happy with the venue!!

So please reveal yourselves and lets share ?

157 replies

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

We looked here as well but it didn't work out for us at the time. It is a lovely venue though. I am sure all your weddings will be gorgeous and special.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

where are you getting married? are you in Northamptonshire too?

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

I am Smiley smile I am getting married on Dec 21st at Crockwell Farm near Daventry. We only booked it in August so have not been on here long!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't be disgruntled...they aren't charging the VAT from us :-)

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

aaaaaah I did wonder how they could reduce prices when everyone else's seem to be going up. I did notice that they only have 2 free dates for next year too. One of them being the weekend after my wedding. I'm wondering if they've predicted we may wreck the place?

• TobeMrsD
    Beginner July 2014
    TobeMrsD ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone! I've only just joined this forum. It's been great reading the thread about Hunsbury Hill. We're getting married there on 18th July 14. We've only just booked so I think we need to get planning! Everyone here sounds so sorted! Eek!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome :-D.

I'm looking forward to hearing all your plans!

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Mrs Cooke to be :) ·
    • Hide content

Hi we have booked hunsbury hill on 10.10.2014

We chose the bbq, ceiling sails and candelabraand the room opposite the barn is going to be a kids playroom.

Its great to hear all your plans x

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We're using the room opposite for the unsociable ones who won't join in the evening reception and dancing (roughly translated as the inlaws). The children will more than likely be climbing the trees or showing us their best moves on the dance floor.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

So am I right in thinking we have found:

Icklefee in May 2014
    Emma 888 12 July 2014
    TobeMrs D 18 July 2014
    momb August 2014
    MrsCooke to be Smiley smile October 2014

Are you all going to the wedding fair? Maybe we should all wear a hat with HITCHED written across it so we can recognise each other?

If you two in July have the same colour scheme you could halve your costs on decoration be getting together ;-)

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We're using the DD room for a chillout/creative room too. We have music in the afternoon and then a ceilidh in the evening so although some people will be happy to sit about on pinic blankets or in the bar we wanted to have somewhere for a rest. We're having tea/coffee and cake all day in there, and putting in a couple of inflatable sofas with throws, and some big cushions in case little ones need to crash.

We're also having the guest book stuff in there (we're going to collage this from wish trees, photos, a colouring poster, madlibs etc so all the elements will be on a big table and people can pick whichever they choose). Otherwise it is contingency space in case of rain..after all we'll need somewhere to put the juggler!

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

When we looked there the OH wanted to set up games consoles for his mates in case they 'were bored'. We nearly had a massive falling out over it and it was one reason we didn't book there!

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    • Hide content

I did wonder what to do with the grannies and the unsociable! we are going to set a wii up with the bowling etc as well as giant garden games which could be put outside if its nice weather, in october though I think we will be very lucky to have a rain free day!

Are you all using impressions for the evening food? We are going for a fish and chip van

Also what time are you all getting married/ what time are your evening guests arriving?

We are getting married at 12 so hoping to have evening guests arriving from 5.

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    • Hide content

Yep we'll be at the wedding fayre. I'll be the one with the bored looking OH Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

We're marrying at 1.30. Food from 3-5, ice cream 5-6, evening food 7-10, with cake, sweets and crisps available all day. No B list though. Everyone will be invited to the whole wedding.

I suspect that lots of Ohs willhave that expression ;-). I will be the harried, plump middle aged bespectacled woman trying to corral five girls while her OH skips from vendor to vendor going 'OOooh, maybe we should have X, maybe we should have Y etc etc etc' :-D

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You'll spot me a mile away. The tiny lady with the very loud Scottish accent who will be shouting "Ben, don't touch those.... Jacob put that back.....Sam...Samuel...get out from under there!" while my OH pretends he's not with us.

We don't get married until 3, I honestly couldn't put up with the outlaws for much longer than that, plus, it takes me long enough to get ready for a normal night out never mind a wedding!

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    • Hide content

Heehee this made me chuckle I will be looking out for you both!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

should we all have name badges with our hitched names on them? or wear pink carnations and a secret code word?

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    • Hide content

When do you start having talks with the venue? emailed Louis and Sarah a couple of times but have so many questions like when do we need to confirm numbers to know when to send invites. how can we get our evening guests arriving as early as possible. what happens to the 60 guests if its chucking it down and the rooms being rearranged?

I foolishly didn't think there would be so much to think about! not sure there is that much to think about or if my pushy keeping up appearances mother is just making me feel a bit pressured into having a 'perfect' day. The day will be perfect because I will be marrying the man I love Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Just keep writing down your questions and when you have a good batch ask Louis for a meeting. You'll also want to know about size of the rooms for dressing them etc. and ask him for recommended timings for things like how long it takes to turn the room round etc. If it rains people split between the bar and the DD room btw. Your caterer will let you know when he needs confirmation of numbers.

I have double booked us for Sunday (had invited the FSIL and family for lunch and didn't put it on the calendar), so if we do make the fayre it will be for the first hour only. It's a good half hour each way so might give it a miss and concentrate on my veg prep/crumble making!

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    • Hide content

Hadn't thought about knowing the size of the room! we are going to have the ceiling sails and candelabra supplied from Hunsbury anyway and I'm not into flowers or bunting so think that will be all the room dressing done.

Ah what a shame! Hope you have a lovely day whatever you do Smiley smile

If you live half hour away what transport have you chosen? I was thinking of just a black cab, wedding cars are so pricey!

Also where are you both shopping for dresses? there is a competition on www.estilomoda.co.uk where you could win a free wedding dress from there new collection. they are based near Bletchley, mk. I'm going there to see if they can make the dress I have in my head as I'm not impressed with any dresses I've tried so far, think its the limited options for plus size brides I'm not impressed with the most.

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    • Hide content

Hadn't thought about knowing the size of the room! we are going to have the ceiling sails and candelabra supplied from Hunsbury anyway and I'm not into flowers or bunting so think that will be all the room dressing done.

Ah what a shame! Hope you have a lovely day whatever you do Smiley smile

If you live half hour away what transport have you chosen? I was thinking of just a black cab, wedding cars are so pricey!

Also where are you both shopping for dresses? there is a competition on www.estilomoda.co.uk where you could win a free wedding dress from there new collection. they are based near Bletchley, mk. I'm going there to see if they can make the dress I have in my head as I'm not impressed with any dresses I've tried so far, think its the limited options for plus size brides I'm not impressed with the most.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

No idea what to do about transport. i had planned on getting the local taxi firm's minibus (there'll be me, five daughters and a best woman) or even driving myself in the MPV, but Oh is having none of it. He is full of 'it must be more special than that' but not so full of suggestions or budget ;-). I'm sure a solution will present itself in due course!

Dress? I'm making it. Good luck with your competition though!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I got my dress from Stunning Bridal (what used to be Donna Salado on Abington Grove). They were very nice, just didn't appreciate my jokes about the huge big meringues they made me try that would have been perfect with a Christmas tree shoved up the skirt to complete the look.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

So, in spite of having guests for lunch tomorrow we will be making it to the fair for the first hour or so...not sure how many girls in tow, no OH, but best woman definitely coming :-D

I'll be wearing a dark green cord coat and jeans. Previous comment re plump middle aged bespectacledness still apply :-D. I'll be on the lookout for possible hitchers !!!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

We're hoping to be there early-ish but this is dependent on small children and their behaviour. We're usually all up and ready by 9am on a Sunday... unless we have plans. Then it's usually impossible to go anywhere before mid-day!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Well it was, frankly a bit of a damp squib. Tiny number of suppliers! I looked out for you Icklefee but there were a couple of petite women with three boys and I didn't like to bowl up to a complete stranger and ask if it was you! If you were there at the same time as me you weren't shouting at your boys :-D

Did you make it in the end?

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I did and I have a feeling I may have walked in just in front of you, but again, didn't want to walk up and say do I know you?! I had on a red jumper and my eldest son walked the whole way round with his hood on his jacket up. The boys behaved thanks to being fed lots of cakes and sweets. Nearly fell out with my TOG who thought it would be hilarious to tell me he didn't have me booked in. The vintage crockery lady is the only one there likely to get any business from me as we've already sorted pretty much everything else.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Is your tog the chap who was there? His stuff looked really nice. He is the one who did the brochure for the venue as well isn't he?

I don't think we'll be using anything from the fair: I would have talked to the DJ but as we have afternoon and evening live music booked a DJ is right at the end of things to book (as it would only be for the last couple of hours) and we're still deciding if it is worth it at all.

The cake lady seemed good (yummy tasters) but no fruit cake which is what we want. The sweet cart lady bribed 4/5 children with sweets, but I'm going for a much less 'pretty' pick and mix table, as I can't see the elegant footed dishes lasting the night with 120 of us and a free bar....bring on the chunky jars!!!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

Yes, that was my TOG, he was recommended to us by HH originally and was the only one I found during my search who could give me sensible answers in language I understood about how he would capture photos of my eldest son who will not make eye contact with a camera. His style is a little more formal than I'd have liked but I trust him. We were bribed with sweets but I've already bought 20 plastic jars from ebay and the crockery lady has a cart she hires for £25 - job done! I did like the florist who was there and had to remind myself that I'm happy with the one I have.

I was very nearly swayed by the VOG. We have a tentative booking with an old work colleague of mine who has just graduated in film studies who's offered me a fab price but has landed some pretty juicy work already and was worried he may let me down. However, I spoke to him tonight and I'm still in his diary, his GF is already choosing her outfit because she's a guest so I think I'm safe.

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

The florist that was there is the lady I am trying to organise my flowers with. Her work looks amazing but she does not seem to be great with communication! Am wondering whether to stick with her.

Do you mind me asking who you locals are having for your flowers if it is sorted already?

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have Sophia at the Green Room doing mine for me. Her communication has been great.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics