Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner August 2014

Hunsbury Hill Centre: anyone else?

MOMB, 10 of June of 2013 at 20:26

Posted on Planning 157

I'm sure I've spotted a couple of other Hunsbury planners on here but have lost them. Would it be worth us sharing a thread for ideas? OH and I are all about the bunting! Booked a live band and an acoustic duo, circus skills workshop, barbecue, ice creams and fish and chips. Really really happy with...

I'm sure I've spotted a couple of other Hunsbury planners on here but have lost them. Would it be worth us sharing a thread for ideas?

OH and I are all about the bunting! Booked a live band and an acoustic duo, circus skills workshop, barbecue, ice creams and fish and chips. Really really happy with the venue!!

So please reveal yourselves and lets share ?

157 replies

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Make an appointment to go and see it in the day time (if you havent already been) and see Sarah or Louis.... Really really nice people, very down to earth and layed back!

They will talk you through everything and answer any questions you have. I just send them a quick email if there is anything I need to know!

There is a wedding fair there 18th May, so that would be worth attending too Smiley smile

• C
    Beginner April 2015
    Cheska1981 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lorns

Thanks for the heads up, I went to see it and we are definately booking there Smiley smile

And thanks for letting me know about the wedding fayre. It will be good to go so I might see some of you there.

Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsBurton2015 ·
    • Hide content

Hey ladies another northampton bride here but 2015 Smiley smile Just thought id drop in and say hey Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner May 2015
    MrsBurton2015 ·
    • Hide content

We also looked at hunsbury and loved it but not good for us with our family from all over the country. wanted a hotel where they could all stay without having to get taxi's etc Smiley smile

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Hello!!

Did you find somewhere suitable in the end? Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

So, after our visit with Louis last week: the marquee will be beside the house in the square between the house and the cottage attached to the toilet/catering block. There will be a ramp from the main barn/cloakrooms.

It won't be on the other side of the house from the Great barn, nor on the other side of the barn away from the bar.

I hope this clarifies.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm still lost! lol. I can't picture the cottage or catering block

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I knew my explanation wasn't good enough!

OK: imagine that you are standing outside the great barn facing along the gravel drive towards the carpark. Turn left, and walk up the hill towards the farmhouse with the toilets on your left (the catering kitchen is upstairs in the same building). At the end of this building, with a door facing out of the end, rather than onto the farmyard, is a cottage (like a semi detached. Walk left through the space between this building and the farmhouse (which is now on your right. The marquee will be here. There will be ramp running from outside the toilets to the marquee in case of bad weather.

If you have a look on google maps satellite image, this area is shown as additional lawn space at the north-east corner of the outline.

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Mrs Cooke to be :) ·
    • Hide content

I just passed hunsbury hill n spotted the marquee was set up so so popped in and have taken some pics. Cant seem to attach them for some reason so if you want me to send any of you the pics email me- ********@*****.*** Smiley smile no more trying to expain it hehe Smiley smile

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I can see the space now from the maps! I've already got plans for it. We're going to set up the photo booth, guest book and sweetie cart in there to give us more dancing room at night. I'm hoping some of the tables we remove from the high barn can go in there for those who don't want to be talking over the band playing. I'm delighted to have this freebie. I had no intentions of using the DD room so this is such a bonus!

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Question girls!

We are having an English Country Cottage style wedding. We have asked for the fairy lights up on the beams and that's it. No bunting or anything else. Wild flowers in jugs on tables, very simple yet hopefully classically elegant!

My question is , as we are having such a simply decorated venue, do you think this will look ok? I love the barn, and would NEVER pay money to cover up the big wooden door as it's part of its character and charm. We're having a photobooth, a table with a suitcase on for the cards and a fingerprint tree with little plants on it and other little touches.

I just wanted your opinions and know what you are having?

Thanks! Smiley smile

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

we're pretty much doing the same. I'm doing nothing to cover the walls or ceiling. I picked the barn to look like a barn, not to cover it up with organza.

• M
    Beginner October 2014
    Mrs Cooke to be :) ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

we're going for the ceiling sails and chandelier and I have some lovely little candle holders I got from a charity shop not sure what to do with them yet ive seen some filled with pearl beads and that looked quite nice. Im going all white/ivory on the tables. In the marquee we're having a sweetie table and the kids play room/oldies hide out.was also going to do the suitcase for cards and thats it.

I think what you have planned sounds great Smiley smile

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

So the ceiling sails and stuff, is that an option they have given you? Obviously we have over a year left so we have spoken about detail as such, but I'm not sure whether they actually offer you decorations to choose from?

We only want the lights, but I was just interested to know ?

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They don't offer them but Style Events and various other venue decorators can do them for you.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They don't offer them but Style Events and various other venue decorators can do them for you.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Hello!!

I was lucky enough to go to the Hunsbury Hill Centre at the end of May for an evening reception, so I got to see how it all worked and how it looked etc.

Anyway, everything was great, apart from a few niggly things.

I have since met up with their recommended caterers and have been advised that the following have been 'sorted/fixed'. When we went to the reception I noticed:

• Pretty bad leak from the ceiling of the ladies toilets, leaking into a skanky old bucket, (that was full of cr*p and rubbish) guests were complaining they were getting splattered by water! - Sorted! It was a broken dishwasher from upstairs apparently!
    • Tiles around the staircase in the barn - These have been totally re-done
    • Double doors leading into the barn, gloss green - Re-painted
    • They are building a garden, around where the current marquee is? So I have been told.
    • Roof should be on the smaller fire-damaged barn by 2015 so no need for the large white marquee.

Now, please bare in mind, I havent been there and seen these improvements for myself, this is what I have been told by the caterer, so fingers crossed it has all been done. I will admit, those things did need doing to brighten the place up. It was looking very slightly tired.

Cannot wait to go back and see it all! ??

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

I'll have a look next week then :-D

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    HappyLass ·
    • Hide content

Hi All,

We are getting very excited as its our wedding in less than 6 months but just worried as I don't feel at all organised... not thought about table centres or decoration etc.. any hints and tips would be great

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome!

What type of wedding /day are you planning? Maybe someone coudl make suggestions if we have a little more info? So far all of us on the thread have had or planned really different ldys: decor and tablecentres usually reflect the overall scheme for the day.

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Hello! Smiley smile

I suppose like MOMB said, it depends on what sort of wedding you are going for?

We are going very rustic and natural. My table centre pieces are going to be cream jugs full of wild meadow flowers. The stationary and favours are all lacey/recycled brown card/hessian.

The 'understairs' section of the barn is pretty dated. I enquired about hiring a drape to cover the area, but unfortunately we cannot justify the £165 I was quoted... so instead have bought some pre-loved/home made white cotton and hessian bunting! I will string it around there, just to take people's eye away from the dated wooden handrails and things Smiley smile

I have a couple of wooden crates that are filled with vintage milk bottles, they will be by the big barn doors full of flowers. I am also having a couple of pairs of wellies full of flowers too (they will be at the church first...then moved to the barn).

I also have a collection of white hanging hearts, all different sizes, to hang from the tree thats on the green near the BBQ area. I thought about DIY pom poms.... but then I thought... noooooooo far too much hassle! ?

I have learnt after visiting a wedding reception there earlier this year that less is definitely more. It is such a lovely venue... it doesnt need too much fuss!

Hope this may have helped! xx

• H
    Beginner April 2015
    HappyLass ·
    • Hide content

HI ladies, that's fab, thank you for your help.

TBH we are really relaxed... our colours are Teal and Fuschia and the theme is Astronomy so Star names etc... flower wise we just want bright Fuschia and decorations we are thinking fairy lights. We are on a ridiculously tight budget so doing most things ourselves xx

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

The fairy lights up around the beams in the barn are free Smiley smile So there's your first bargain!

• SoonToBeMrsKnaggs
    Beginner July 2016
    SoonToBeMrsKnaggs ·
    • Hide content

Hi all!

Don't know if this thread is still in use but i've just been to look around Hunsbury and think i want to book it.

Just looking at the website and it says that there is a civil ceremony fee but doesn't say how much. Just wondered if you guys knew what it is off the top of your heads because i've emailed them and asked but i'm too impatient to wait Smiley tongue

Thank you!

• adgabe
    adgabe ·
    • Hide content

I have photographed a couple of weddings there and it is lovely! My home town... Good choice! ?

Andrea de Gabriel

• P
    Beginner July 2015
    Planning Bee ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone

Wedding is booked for 11th July next year, and most of the big bits have been booked. Next thing I want to sort is DJ, has anyone been to an event where Steve Steers was DJ or Laser Star? I'm tempted to go with Steve as he's the regular at the venue, but the other would probably be cheaper, but can't find anything online about either, help!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I can't help you as we didn't have a DJ, but hopefully by bumping this someone else will spot it!

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

Hello

We have Ace Entertainment Services booked for our wedding in May next year Smiley smile £300 all in Smiley smile xx

• Lorns
    Rockstar May 2015
    Lorns ·
    • Hide content

We have been back to the venue and they have refurbished the bar area. It looks 100% better and more fitting with the venue, painted in sage greens and creams with mirrors and soft lighting. Looks stunning Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics