Skip to main content
I
Beginner July 2017

House buying - vendor has yet to find a house

IvoryLaceDress, 8 April 2015 at 12:10 Posted on Off Topic Posts 1 11
Saved

Hi all

We have started the process of buying our first house - by far the most stressful thing I have ever done!!

We have had an offer accepted but the vendor has yet to find a house. The estate agents were keen for us to get in touch with our broker and solicitors to get the ball rolling and we now have about £800 in fees invested in this.

How long is reasonable to give the vendor to find a house and how often should I chase the estate agent for an update?

I don't want to be annoying and break down communication but I would like to know what is going on.

Thanks

11 replies

Latest activity by Charles, 4 May 2022 at 04:07
  • MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·

Ah, the joy of the first house purchase, very exciting but completely baffling!

I would suggest you ask them to let you know as soon as the situation changes, although I would imagine they would do this anyway. Don't worry too much, you're in a good position because you can hang tight for a bit, no pressure from the other side of a chain.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·

I was getting pressure from the people that were buying my house after a week but there are people on here that have waited months, I'm sure for someone it was 6 months. Have a time limit in mind and make sure the estate agent knows because otherwise the vendor will be in no hurry. You have the upper hand to speak so you can suggest if they don't find it in x time you may consider pulling out.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·

TBH I would have a conversation with the estate agent and say you're prepared to wait until x date.

Otherwise there is no onus on them to get anything sorted. I'd also be asking them to keep you updated on their situation.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·

If you have a mortgage in principal agreed that will expire after either 3 months or 6 months depending on the deal.... Let the agent know when it expires and that you expect to get on with it.

We're in the same position as you are but are just now in the process of sorting the mortgage out. We've told our solicitor to hold off with the searches as I think they expire after a while and would have to be redone. Does your solicitor know the vendor is still looking? Make sure you tell him/her so he/she doesn't rush unnecessary things now.

How long were you looking for? I guess that's a good indication of how long you might have to wait?

Good luck with it!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·

Also bear in mind your own dates. If you're in rented check when your tenancy expires and you don't want to have to be tied in for another 6 months or to have to pay the administration fee etc

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·

Our house sale took 7 months even though it was chain free! Although our Mortgage broker dealt with the estate agents for us. It was actually quite scary because we thought our mortgage offer would expire it took so long & I was in the process of changing jobs ( silly me for believing our solicitor that it would be a quick sale).

I would give a deadline

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    View quoted message

This. I think they need to have some pressure and motivation to find a house. Otherwise it literally could go on for months.

• I
    Beginner July 2017
    IvoryLaceDress ·

Thanks all!

Been trying to get hold of the estate agent for a few days and no luck! Will keep trying

I'm sure it will be ok and we have got it in the back of our mind that we may have to look again but fingers crossed.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·

That's weird that you haven't heard from the agent. He should be keeping you informed. Have you tried emailing him saying you want a call back?

Contact your solicitor and get him to find out from the vendor's solicitor what is actually happening.

• Grace@PEP
    Beginner November 2018
    Grace@PEP ·

Ah the joy of conveyancing.

The vendor of our first place also did not have a house, but he moved back in with his mother.

Similiarily the last time we sold, we had a week between the old house and the new house we were moving into and made alternative arrangements for the week.

I do think you should speak to your solicitor as he will be able to put conditions into your offer - such as that the vendor has to be out of the house with all his or her belongings on x date that the keys will be exchanged.

Do chase the estate agent, that is their job - you have paid professional fees - make sure that those you have paid them to work for them - as it is up to them to help you have a smooth house buying experience.

• Lolana9
    Beginner June 2022 East Central London
    Lolana9 ·

Good afternoon, I recently started working as a real estate leasing agent and am dealing with a lot of issues that I need for future activities. I want to create the terms of a business contract with my landlord. How is it possible to do this?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

ReCaptcha Verification failed. Please try again.

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics